Diet Coke?

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I usually have about 20 oz of diet coke per day and I haven't had problems losing weight. And I've maintained my weight for over a year.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I drink Pepsi Max once or twice a day, Not an aspartame [product but still another artificial sweetener. all the lab tests are massive quantities ingested so moderation won't kill you. All Soda (including plain old Soda Water) contains Sodium though so take that into account because to much Sodium prompts water retention. As an example Sunday was a very high sodium day for me and despite drinking 8 glasses of water and some tea (along with a couple of sodas) I had a gain of about 2 pounds. yesterday I skipped the soda drank 16 glasses of waster and flushed my system and have dropped back 3 pounds as of today (water weight is the easiest to lose and the easiest to gain back)
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    About a year ago, I switched to drinking more herbal teas (healthy, right?) Now my dental hygenist is complaining that I'm getting too much staining caused by the tea.

You can't win.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    For m it is. My belly gets super bloated after a can of diet soda. I have problems to digest anything that I eat after the soda. I blame the artificial sweeteners. Stuff from hell!

Which artificial sweeteners do that? All of them?

Pretty much all artificial sweetener. I think Aspartame is the worst. Splenda not any better. Stevia is the only thing, I can use, as a sweetener. Other than that I am better of with sugar and real coke, which I don't want to drink because of the calories.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    Meh. I've found it actually HELPS me not crave sweet stuff. If I'm craving sweets, I just take a swig of diet coke, and bam...I'm good to go. I just make sure I'm drinking equal amounts of water too :] IT does make me a little puffy...so I do keep it down to like one can (12oz) a day.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Some of you may remember back when Coke put "cocaine" in it. No joke younger crowd, ask someone older, like say at least 50 yrs old.

Now THERE'S a diet drink.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For m it is. My belly gets super bloated after a can of diet soda. I have problems to digest anything that I eat after the soda. I blame the artificial sweeteners. Stuff from hell!

Which artificial sweeteners do that? All of them?

Pretty much all artificial sweetener.

Seems legit.
  • jill604
    jill604 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of coke zero better than diet coke but I don't really drink soda all that much anymore. I used to drink it all the time and then stopped for 8 days and had the worst headaches. If you drink it in moderation you'll be fine just like with anything else.
  • rayraex
    Options
    I used to drink at least one diet soda a day. I cut it out from my diet completely and immediately dropped (and maintained a loss of) an additional 5 pounds. Now I'm used to drinking water or tea instead of soda and it doesn't taste good at all to me anymore.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad....

No.

basically this. add bacon for more pleasure.
  • yogagirl100
    yogagirl100 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Moderation. Think about it though - if it has less sugar, then what the hell do they have to put in it to make it so sweet?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    People who are saying No are crazy. Artificial Sweetners have addicting qualities to them. I am a solid believer that I was addicted to Diet Coke. And I say Diet Coke ... cuz it was just Diet Coke that I craved.

Today is 1 month since I have not had any soda! & I just feel less bloated and look less bloated. It was a rough first few weeks, but I seriously feel a lot healthier. Soda is terrible for you, especially artificial sweetners. Just google some of the **** they put in it.

If you need the caffeine or the taste...try switching to Pepsi Throwback ... real sugar!!!

I'm not a doctor, but I have researched this stuff in full. & I feel better without it :)

:huh: Lovely name calling-you're sure to be a hit here.

And clearly, you can see the bloat in my profile pictures, due to all the diet Coke I drink. Oh wait... :drinker:
  • Bipbophop
    Bipbophop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've read that using artificial sweeteners can have the same impact on your insulin levels as if you had sugar, and I've had a few people tell me they lost weight just by stopping diet soda, so I don't know (it never seemed to impact my weight that I was aware of).

I do know if you have a thyroid condition (as I do), caffeine can interfere with your body's absorption of your thyroid meds (I think that's the prob, anyway). Which didn't stop me from drinking loads of diet soda for years, but it probably wasn't a good idea. A couple of weeks ago I went cold turkey in favor of water and don't really miss the soda. I did add in, a few times a week, a cup of coffee with cream and 1 packet of Stevia (I've never been a coffee drinker in my life, but I can enjoy the coffee if there's cream without craving another cup anytime soon, as I would with diet soda). It gives me a little shot of caffeine that I need once in awhile. Other days, I have one cup of earl grey tea, no sweetener, to give me the boost of caffeine. I think I'm still doing a lot better than the caf I would get from several sodas a day (though I sometimes switched it up to caffeeine-free diet in the past, but for me that just leads me back to the kind with caffeine). I also try not to have the caffeine until several hours after taking my morning thyroid meds, and I used to have to grab a Coke Zero or Diet Dr. Pepper first thing in the morning to wake up.

I guess go with what you feel works for you, really. You could try stopping it for awhile and see what happens if you're curious.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think it's effects are different for each person. For me, it causes me to crave sweet or salty foods. I can easily down chocolate with diet coke. Of course the same is true for potato chips. So for me, it is not a good option when cutting. I know others have no issues with it.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    tastes horrible though, if one glass every now and then is all you are going to have, you may aswell treat yourself to a proper glass of coke

~responding simply because I see said a lot~

Not everyone drinks diet coke as a no-cal substitute for regular Coke. I've always found regular Coke sickly sweet, took to Diet Coke when it came out because I preferred the taste to all the other sodas out there.

This. I really like the taste of Diet Dr. Pepper -- like, significantly more than Dr. Pepper.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    tastes horrible though, if one glass every now and then is all you are going to have, you may aswell treat yourself to a proper glass of coke

~responding simply because I see said a lot~

Not everyone drinks diet coke as a no-cal substitute for regular Coke. I've always found regular Coke sickly sweet, took to Diet Coke when it came out because I preferred the taste to all the other sodas out there.

This. I really like the taste of Diet Dr. Pepper -- like, significantly more than Dr. Pepper.

^^^QFT YES.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I don't touch any soft drinks or caffeinated drinks, in a year I may consume 10 soft drinks, if that. Do I think it's that terrible for you? No, there are far more other things in your day to day life that are more dangerous or terrible for you than Diet Coke.

To me, it's just a matter of, I don't like it. I don't like wasting calories on it, so it's really just a personal preference. But your intake of it currently, is nothing to be concerned about.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I guess my main question is Diet coke really that bad....

No.

I have one or two cans a night...I love my diet coke
  • I don't think it will hinder your diet as it has basically no calories, but personally i find that whenever I drink fizzy, caffeinated drinks, diet or otherwise, it messes up my skin. I would never say diet coke is healthy. If you drink it, just make sure you're still getting 6-9 glasses of water. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it's hydrating
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hinder your diet as it has basically no calories, but personally i find that whenever I drink fizzy, caffeinated drinks, diet or otherwise, it messes up my skin. I would never say diet coke is healthy. If you drink it, just make sure you're still getting 6-9 glasses of water. Just because it's liquid doesn't mean it's hydrating

Coke is 90% water...where does the "hydration" go when you drink it?