35 kcal?! 35000 calories????

Options
2»

Replies

• SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    According to map my walk I burned 48 kCal but when I enter that into myfitnesspal it says 125 Calories. So this clearly isn't the same thing... and it's bollocks and putting me off even bothering to watch what I burn etc...
    Who in their right mind would create something different that means the same... bloody English.... over it.:sad:

Thats a different error source: MFP overestimates calories burnt. One source is telling you 48, another 125. Go with your other source usually, for example, I always adjust my elliptical trainer time to reflect the amount I burnt, not the time I spent, so I'll have weird increments like "17min elliptical trainer" instead of the 25 I spent, or something similar.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1 kcal (we use this in the UK) = 1 Cal

1kcal = 1000 cal

(As the poster earlier said, note whether the c is capital or not)

1 kcal = 4.1868 kJ

In the UK packaging usually has kcal and kJ on it. Kcal is what everyone looks at, so for example 110kcal for a banana, etc.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    100 ml of coca cola has about 46 kcal's or 46000 calories

No. 100 ml of coca cola would be closer to 50 calories since 250 ml is 8 oz. and 8 oz. of coca cola is about 100 or 110 calories. kcals = cals.

LoL
    Okay. Sorry.
    I just pulled my number from the side of a Coca Cola cherry bottle so my bad!
    100 ml of Coca Cola cherry has 46 kcal's. :laugh:

8 oz is 250 ml ? Good to know. Thanks! I have been wondering that but never took the time to check. :flowerforyou:

No. 8 oz = 236.588 ml. But it's easier to remember 250 and close enough for most purposes. I think cans in "metric countries" tend to come in 250 ml rather than 8 oz, but I'm not positive how widespread that is.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

No. 100 ml of coca cola would be closer to 50 calories since 250 ml is 8 oz. and 8 oz. of coca cola is about 100 or 110 calories. kcals = cals.

LoL
    Okay. Sorry.
    I just pulled my number from the side of a Coca Cola cherry bottle so my bad!
    100 ml of Coca Cola cherry has 46 kcal's. :laugh:

8 oz is 250 ml ? Good to know. Thanks! I have been wondering that but never took the time to check. :flowerforyou:

No. 8 oz = 236.588 ml. But it's easier to remember 250 and close enough for most purposes. I think cans in "metric countries" tend to come in 250 ml rather than 8 oz, but I'm not positive how widespread that is.
    250ml, 330ml and 500ml are the common sizes in the UK.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Soo.
    whats in it?
    How much fat, protien, carbs, we can do the math
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Actually most cans (at least drink cans) are 375ml (12.7 fl oz).

The world would be so much simpler if the US just adopted the metric system like the rest of the world. The imperial system of measurement is archaic and ridiculous!

Oh and kcal = calorie!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm making a mushroom sauce thing, and it's polish so it says 35 kcal. but when i google that turns into 35000 calories! that can not possibly be true since the package says its a healthy alternative.

all calories are k calories. it's one of the ridiculously stupid things about this unit, i.e. that it's actually kilo-calories but everyone just says calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    1 kcal = 1000 calories = 1 Calorie

Calorie, with a capital C, means kilocalories. When talking about food, energy content is always given in kcal or Cal, never cal.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what is going on here so....

8yRToFxl.jpg
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    This site uses kilo calories too.

"k" means "a thousand" so 35 kilo calories converted to calories becomes 35000. (35 * 1000 = 35000)

It's just easier to say "calorie" than "kilo calorie" in a conversation.

Sorry, but no.....:o).
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options

250ml, 330ml and 500ml are the common sizes in the UK.
    [/quote]

Don't forget 568ml... aka the Pint. A *very* useful measurement to know when in the UK! :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This site uses kilo calories too.

"k" means "a thousand" so 35 kilo calories converted to calories becomes 35000. (35 * 1000 = 35000)

It's just easier to say "calorie" than "kilo calorie" in a conversation.

Sorry, but no.....:o).

Except yes.

46 kcal = 46,000 cal = 46 Cal.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    1 calorie = the amount of energy needed to raise 1 cubic centimeter of water by 1 degree Celsius.

1 Kilocalorie (KCal)= 1,000 calories

1 Calorie (food calorie. Note the big C) = 1 Kilocalorie

And just to confuse everyone else.... 1 calorie is equal to 4.184 Joules (J) at standard atmospheric pressure, which is also another unit of measurement. So, one Calorie will equal 4,184 Joules or 4.184 Kilojoules. Thanks for reminding me all about the stuff I am forgetting in AP Chemistry. :noway:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    According to map my walk I burned 48 kCal but when I enter that into myfitnesspal it says 125 Calories. So this clearly isn't the same thing... and it's bollocks and putting me off even bothering to watch what I burn etc...
    Who in their right mind would create something different that means the same... bloody English.... over it.:sad:

Thats a different error source: MFP overestimates calories burnt. One source is telling you 48, another 125. Go with your other source usually, for example, I always adjust my elliptical trainer time to reflect the amount I burnt, not the time I spent, so I'll have weird increments like "17min elliptical trainer" instead of the 25 I spent, or something similar.

Just adjust both the time and the calories. Much easier to keep track of both the time you've spent exercising and the amount of calories you've burned.
  • BBTVRichie
    Options
    The simple explanation is there is no such thing as a Calorie but in fact TWO types of Calorie, Large Calories and Small Calories.

35 kCal is 35,000 Small Calories

But when you are talking about culinary, diets, food, health, recipes, etc you need to use the Large Calories

35 kCal is 35 Large Calories (or Food Calories)

It is this second calculation you need not the first

You need a conversion rate of 1 kCal = 1 Cal and NOT 1 kCal = 1000 Cal

This is the main reason why it is best to stick to kCal, to avoid confusion!
  • kittennugget1
    kittennugget1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this forum string...i was like what?!! I just had 108,000 calories of Sake!!!!! LOL