Crock Pot/Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    They all look delicious! Can't wait to go back home and plan my weekly meals! Miam!
  • rworton
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • courtney_leigh09
    courtney_leigh09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I'm trying to learn how to make stuff on the crockpot. Are you supposed to cook the meat first or put it in raw? I'm always worried I'll mess up.

If I use ground turkey or beef i'll cook it first. If i'm making something with shredded chicken i'll defrost the breasts and then put them in raw.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I'm trying to learn how to make stuff on the crockpot. Are you supposed to cook the meat first or put it in raw? I'm always worried I'll mess up.
    Chicken breasts I will happily throw in frozen. Anything with a 6-hr or longer cooking time, and you're fine.

FYI - whoever shared that teriyaki chicken recipe? We made it tonight. OMG it was soooooo good!
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've read that you need to brown chicken and ground beef first, just a couple of minutes before tossing them in the slow cooker because the internal temp of the meat may not get high enough to kill bacteria. Turkey and other types of meats are ok in every recipe I've seen so far but should not be frozen. Here's what WebMD says http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/slow-cooker-food-safety-guide
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Lentils and rice:

1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 cups brown rice
    6 cups water
    1 lb washed lentils

Garden salad
    Vinaigrette

1. Sauté carrots, celery, and onion in 1 tablespoon of oil. When soft ads to crock pot
    2. Brown rice in the same skillet in another tablespoon of olive oil. Add to crock pot.
    3. Stir in water and lentils. Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours.

From a crock pot cook book.

This makes alot, so I usually half the recipe. I use the lentil and rice mixture as a base and top it with whatever is around to serve. Everyone in the family likes something different on it. If you want meat, it is great topped with salad shrimp, shredded chicken, meatballs. You are supposed to top it with salad. I like it that way, but the rest of my family doesn't.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    sd1pck.jpg

Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts *I used 2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup packed brown sugar *I used 3/4 cup
    2/3 cup vinegar *I used apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup lemon-lime soda *I used Sprite Zero
    2-3 Tablespoons minced garlic *I used about 1 1/2 T. fresh minced garlic
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    2 Tablespoons corn starch
    2 Tablespoons water
    Red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:
    •Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
    •Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker.
    •Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together. Pour over chicken.
    •Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
    •Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker (mine basically fell apart) and pour remaining sauce into saucepan. Place saucepan over high heat. Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well. Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze.
    •Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools down).
    •Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired.

Oh, and here's were the credit for this recipe belongs: http://kim-thislittlelifeofmine.blogspot.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-garlic-brown-sugar-chicken.html
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    sd1pck.jpg

Slow Cooker Brown Sugar & Garlic Chicken

4-6 chicken breasts *I used 2 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup packed brown sugar *I used 3/4 cup
    2/3 cup vinegar *I used apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup lemon-lime soda *I used Sprite Zero
    2-3 Tablespoons minced garlic *I used about 1 1/2 T. fresh minced garlic
    2 Tablespoons soy sauce
    1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
    2 Tablespoons corn starch
    2 Tablespoons water
    Red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions:
    •Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
    •Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker.
    •Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together. Pour over chicken.
    •Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
    •Take chicken pieces out of slow cooker (mine basically fell apart) and pour remaining sauce into saucepan. Place saucepan over high heat. Mix together corn starch and water, pour into saucepan, and mix well. Let sauce come to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze.
    •Remove from heat and let sit for a minute or two (it will continue to thicken as it cools down).
    •Sprinkle red pepper flakes on top if desired.

Oh, and here's were the credit for this recipe belongs: http://kim-thislittlelifeofmine.blogspot.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-garlic-brown-sugar-chicken.html

Youd think people would learn to give credit for others ideas And work. Especially if theyve been told too at least once before
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Lentils and rice:

1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 cups brown rice
    6 cups water
    1 lb washed lentils

Garden salad
    Vinaigrette

1. Sauté carrots, celery, and onion in 1 tablespoon of oil. When soft ads to crock pot
    2. Brown rice in the same skillet in another tablespoon of olive oil. Add to crock pot.
    3. Stir in water and lentils. Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours.

From a crock pot cook book.

This makes alot, so I usually half the recipe. I use the lentil and rice mixture as a base and top it with whatever is around to serve. Everyone in the family likes something different on it. If you want meat, it is great topped with salad shrimp, shredded chicken, meatballs. You are supposed to top it with salad. I like it that way, but the rest of my family doesn't.

I had rewritten this in my favs notebook, but it is from fix it and forget it cook book. I don't really recommend the whole book though; it's really not very healthy in my opinion. I have the diabetes one on my wish list through. Much more in line with how I cook, so less to adjust.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I dont have the link on me but this is from graciouspantry.com
    Youll have to go there to get exact quantities

But its chicken breasts, balsamic vinegar, mushrooms, and pears.
    Pretty yum.

One of my pals here gave me what she does with chicken leg quarters: like 2lbs of carrots tossed in cumin (I add garlic too). Lay chixken on top and season with morebcumin and garlic. Cut tomatillos and place on top of the chicken. Cook for awhile and pull out tomatillos andbcontinue cooking everything else. Make salsa verde with the tomatillos, jalapeno, sugar, cilantro, garlic.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • belle_rn
    belle_rn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas!!!!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I just found out that you can steam a whole spaghetti squash in the crockpot. I could eat spaghetti squash every day of the week, and I only have ever baked it on a cookie sheet. It takes SOOOO long to bake tho, and when I get home from the gym (after working 9.5 hours) I'm starving and don't have an hour to wait!!!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotvegetables/r/bl64c6.htm
    Oh my goodness sweetie, just whack it lengthwise in half and put in covered microwave dish with quarter cup of water for 7-10 min on high. If A fork pokes thru the skin it is done. Scoop out and serve.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Its easy for things cooked in a crockpot to all come out tasting the same... if you overcook it, or use the same spices and seasonings for everything. The great thing about a crockpot is that you can cook pretty much anything in it... but you cant just cook things any old way. If you add too much water... food tends to be bland. If you cook too long, food gets mushy and tasteless. Try making new things.... I know that for a time I got into a rut where I was using the same seasonings for everything and added too much water (I had the stovetop method ingrained in my head and was afraid of it boiling dry and sticking). Less really is more in a crockpot... and flavors really get a chance to concentrate... so use broths instead of water... and try out new seasonings and sauces! Hope this helps some.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Ok -so this is what I just put in my crock pot.

1 5.5 oz can of Kerns apricot nectar
    2tsp lo salt soy sauce
    1 diced medium sweet onion
    1 lb carrots chopped large diagonal chunks
    2.5lb Publix extra lean pork loin (preservative free) dusted with King Arthur flour seasoned with Emeril's original essence and browned in canola oil
    1/4c royal rose cardamom clove simple syrup
    2 heaping tsp Major Grey mango chutney
    1/4c great value coarse grind mustard
    1/2 jar(8oz) World Trade corn salsa
    1/4 c cider vinegar
    Seeded minced jalapeño
    Tsp fresh grated ginger
    Juice of 2 small limes

Call me optimistic but I think it's gonna be epic. The best thing about a crockpot is using up left over crap in the fridge. The only thing I bought at the store was the loin, carrots, onion and apricot nectar. I will let you know in 7 h how it went. I want it moist so I'm gonna cook on low
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    Ok -so this is what I just put in my crock pot.

1 5.5 oz can of Kerns apricot nectar
    2tsp lo salt soy sauce
    1 diced medium sweet onion
    1 lb carrots chopped large diagonal chunks
    2.5lb Publix extra lean pork loin (preservative free) dusted with King Arthur flour seasoned with Emeril's original essence and browned in canola oil
    1/4c royal rose cardamom clove simple syrup
    2 heaping tsp Major Grey mango chutney
    1/4c great value coarse grind mustard
    1/2 jar(8oz) World Trade corn salsa
    1/4 c cider vinegar
    Seeded minced jalapeño
    Tsp fresh grated ginger
    Juice of 2 small limes

Call me optimistic but I think it's gonna be epic. The best thing about a crockpot is using up left over crap in the fridge. The only thing I bought at the store was the loin, carrots, onion and apricot nectar. I will let you know in 7 h how it went. I want it moist so I'm gonna cook on low
    Yep, it is fabulous. Was perfect after 4 hours on low. Carrots were a tad firm but easily fixed by slicing thinner next time. The pork is sweet and tender. The gravy is downright luscious