Why soy over regular milk?

Options
Going through people's most popular foods, why are there so many people choosing soy over regular milk? Granted I just drink it as a condiment for my coffee. Just curious what the health benefits are?

Replies

• jbueza
    jbueza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Probably lower in calories per serving
  • rdyne1
    rdyne1 Posts: 53
    Options
    Soy milk is great if you don't stomach regular milk well, not necessarily being lactose intolerant but more people are more sensitive to lactose than they realise. I can feel the difference when I drink soy and normal milk.
    Personally I prefer it but I have it in chai whereas I hear it can be quite bitter in a regular coffee.
    Also, being that it's derived from soy beans, it's naturally higher in protein than normal milk.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Going through people's most popular foods, why are there so many people choosing soy over regular milk? Granted I just drink it as a condiment for my coffee. Just curious what the health benefits are?
    because I don't agree with abusing and killing animals for my food. (Yes cows are killed in milk production)
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk, but I know for me it's because I simply don't like the flavor of cows milk. Never have.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is plant abuse, so I choose regular milk
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Some people genuinely prefer the taste of soy and almond milks.

Not me though. Full fat whole cow's milk all day. Nothing else compares.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    - just a note - man would want to stay away form regular / aboundant consumption of soy milk.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Soy and almond "milk" is taste bud abuse, so I choose, you know, actual milk.

Someone come wake me up when almonds and beans have teats
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I feel like i am going to die my stomach knots up if i drink regular milk. I strongly prefer almond milk to soy though.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I like it better and I feel that it is the more ethical choice.
  • Mick8666
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I choose to drink almond milk.

All you people talking about cows milk being the norm, just ponder this thought for a second. Humans are the only species to drink another species milk. If you really get down to thinking about it, drinking milk from a cow is gross.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Soy and almond "milk" is taste bud abuse, so I choose, you know, actual milk.

Someone come wake me up when almonds and beans have teats
    Almonds and beans have teats they are just very tiny making the milking process difficult hence the more expensive price on the milk.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't know about soy. I like the taste of coconut milk, so I've mostly been drinking that because it's a few less calories and I can keep it in the cupboard til I'm ready to use it. I like milk fine, just haven't been buying it much lately. I don't like the idea of soy so much since most soy is "Round Up Ready" these days or GMO. I drink organic milk sometimes but I find the coconut milk is cheaper and I like it just as well so that's what I drink. Most of my milk use is in smoothies and I prefer the taste of coconut over milk, soy, or almond milk.
  • MissInfiniti
    MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a ton of cows milk, it was my go-to beverage up until college. Loved it.

I had a horrible mix up where I was visiting a friends dorm room and placed my dining hall cup on their desk-- then accidentally picked up one he had left out for over a week. Took a minute to realize I was chugging spoiled milk. Was very sick for a day and for about a year any time I thought about milk I would feel sick. I discovered almond milk in 2013 & that is the closest I've gotten to ever drinking milk again!

...except for the milk in my Starbucks lattes, just doesn't taste right with soy.
  • m_a_b
    m_a_b Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Milk - one of the greatest marketing ploys ever:
    - drink cow's milk for the calcium
    - cow's milk makes the human body more acid, and this leeches calcium from bones
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Milk - one of the greatest marketing ploys ever:
    - cow's milk makes the human body more acid, and this leeches calcium from bones
    Marketing ploys only work in you fall for it, you know, like you have.:smile:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Kobe and Miyazaki beef producers are secretive about their methods. But many ranchers in Japan feed beer to their livestock to induce appetite. They also massage cattle daily, sometimes with sake. According to Yo Matsuzaki, Ozumo’s executive chef, some Wagyu cattle listen to classical music, a method used to relax them.

Beer, massage, saki, classical music........I digress; A potential answer to the question posed by the OP: soy over cow's milk(regular?!?) for some people it reminds them of a Pittsburgh Steelers announcer oye and double oye! For other folks outside the Pittsburgh area opinions may differ.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't know about soy. I like the taste of coconut milk, so I've mostly been drinking that because it's a few less calories and I can keep it in the cupboard til I'm ready to use it.

Semi-skimmed milk is 50 cal per 100 ml
    Even whole milk is 64 cal per 100 ml
    Coconut milk is 230 cal per 100 g

So, lower calories is not a good argument for coconut milk over cow's milk. Unless your argument is that it's yummy, in which case I agree in general but wouldn't use it in tea or on my cereals.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    - just a note - man would want to stay away form regular / aboundant consumption of soy milk.

So, really would a woman.

If I'm going to drink something a bit carby with fats, little usable protein and calcium fortified, I'll take the coconut milk.
    I don't know about soy. I like the taste of coconut milk, so I've mostly been drinking that because it's a few less calories and I can keep it in the cupboard til I'm ready to use it.

Semi-skimmed milk is 50 cal per 100 ml
    Even whole milk is 64 cal per 100 ml
    Coconut milk is 230 cal per 100 g

So, lower calories is not a good argument for coconut milk over cow's milk. Unless your argument is that it's yummy, in which case I agree in general but wouldn't use it in tea or on my cereals.

Well, that poster may have been referring to commercially processed coconut milk, which generally has around 80 cals per cup (250 ml) rather than the canned version. Still, even with the calories, the MCTs make the fat calories a much better bang for your buck.