WHEN do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So I'm just curious how often everyone exercises and when?

Ummmmmm..... :bigsmile: .... I guess the short answer, for me, is "ANY time I can, for as LONG as I can".

As a wife, and a mom of 3, it could be first thing in the morning, some time during nap for our littlest, or even dragging the exercise bike to our bathroom (which luckily is the size of some bedrooms.....lol) to bike during his bath time..... at 3, he could stay in there for an hour if we let him.

From what I've read, it doesn't matter as much *when* you exercise, the important thing is that you do it. If you want to get the most out of it, use a Heart Rate Monitor, and stay in your "ideal heart range" for exercise. Keep up the exercising, sounds like you're on a good track!
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My work out times change often I am a stay at home mommy and I need to do them when my little one is napping but I like to do them on her first nap for the day but it doesn't always work so around 10 or so. Otherwise it is right after my hubby gets home from work so he can take care of her while I work out. I like to work out 5-6 days a week but with an 8 mouth this is sometimes hard but I do my best.

153118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and have to be at work by 7:15. So I work out right after work at 2:35 but have to pick up my kids by 4. So I mainly weight train and do 20 min of cardio. I can't make myself get up at 4am to go to the gym or run. On the weekends and during the summers, I run or workout at 6 or 6:30am. Every Saturday I run 5 miles and during the week after my husband gets home from work, he'll watch the kids and I'll run 3-4 miles once or twice a week. I also try to put my kids in my double jogger and take them to the park 2-3 times a week. Taking them to the park is a 2.8 mile loop and the last half is a huge steep hill (3/4 mile). With the kids in the stroller, I'm pushing 92 pounds up hill. I say that's a workout! LOL

So, I workout 4- 5 days at the gym and incorporate 2 - 3 good runs on top of that (plus take my kids on walks to the park).

I can't workout on an empty stomach. I am starving when I first wake up and I'm worthless during a workout if I don't have something to eat. So I always have a protein shake first thing. I believe it's important to eat right away to break the all night fasting and get your metabolism working again. Opinions vary on that. Obviously when I workout after work, I've eaten. I'll have my shake, a morning snack, lunch and an afternoon snack (usually a protein bar) before the gym. When I go in the mornings, I just have the shake before my workout or run.

You have to do what works best for you to be successful! Otherwise, if doesn't work for you then you won't be successful. So, if you can't work out first thing in the morning and you are better in the evenings... then do what is better for you. You're more likely to stick to a routine that you are comfortable with rather than trying to conform to something that doesn't work well for you.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses! I'm glad to hear that so many people workout so many times a week! And even more glad to hear that it doesn't matter when you workout as long as you do it. I think something like a walk or a run everyday is really great, and the other exercise doesn't have to be every single day if you need a break!
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options

I can't workout on an empty stomach. I am starving when I first wake up and I'm worthless during a workout if I don't have something to eat. So I always have a protein shake first thing. I believe it's important to eat right away to break the all night fasting and get your metabolism working again. Opinions vary on that. Obviously when I workout after work, I've eaten. I'll have my shake, a morning snack, lunch and an afternoon snack (usually a protein bar) before the gym. When I go in the mornings, I just have the shake before my workout or run.

You have to do what works best for you to be successful! Otherwise, if doesn't work for you then you won't be successful. So, if you can't work out first thing in the morning and you are better in the evenings... then do what is better for you. You're more likely to stick to a routine that you are comfortable with rather than trying to conform to something that doesn't work well for you.

It's interesting that you mentioned having a protein shake or protein bar before your workout. I was wondering how many people have some type of extra protein before/after their workouts. I know on some exercise programs they suggest you have a protein shake after your workout for recovery, yet others have suggested you have a protein shake before a workout. I'm not sure which is better, but I think the idea of having the extra protein everyday is great. I LOVE protein shakes and was actually on a soy/whey protein diet for awhile and loved it. But I felt that I was having too much protein and new that it was not a healthy lifestyle change, but instead more of a diet. So I cut back on the protein shakes completely for awhile, but am interested in starting them back up, maybe one a day a few times a week.
  • lvfunandfit
    Options

It's interesting that you mentioned having a protein shake or protein bar before your workout. I was wondering how many people have some type of extra protein before/after their workouts. I know on some exercise programs they suggest you have a protein shake after your workout for recovery, yet others have suggested you have a protein shake before a workout. I'm not sure which is better, but I think the idea of having the extra protein everyday is great. I LOVE protein shakes and was actually on a soy/whey protein diet for awhile and loved it. But I felt that I was having too much protein and new that it was not a healthy lifestyle change, but instead more of a diet. So I cut back on the protein shakes completely for awhile, but am interested in starting them back up, maybe one a day a few times a week.

You should eat a minimum of half of your body weight in protein each day. I drink 1-2 shakes a day and eat 1-2 protein bars a day. I usually go a little over on my protein. I do believe in drinking a shake or eating within 30 minutes of a workout. Protein is what helps repair and build your muscle. Your body doesn't store protein as fat. Just make sure to chose lean sources of protein.

Using oils that are good fats like Olive oil is OK in moderation. Good fat helps you burn fat. Also, adding things like coconut oil (which you can cook with, great for using with fish), avocados, nuts, etc to your diet is good for you also.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options

Wow 1 gram of protein for every pound that is half of your weight? Then I definitely need to add some more protein to my diet. What do you set your percentages to then as far as carbs/protein/fat goes

You should eat a minimum of half of your body weight in protein each day. I drink 1-2 shakes a day and eat 1-2 protein bars a day. I usually go a little over on my protein. I do believe in drinking a shake or eating within 30 minutes of a workout. Protein is what helps repair and build your muscle. Your body doesn't store protein as fat. Just make sure to chose lean sources of protein.

Using oils that are good fats like Olive oil is OK in moderation. Good fat helps you burn fat. Also, adding things like coconut oil (which you can cook with, great for using with fish), avocados, nuts, etc to your diet is good for you also.
  • lvfunandfit
    Options

Wow 1 gram of protein for every pound that is half of your weight? Then I definitely need to add some more protein to my diet. What do you set your percentages to then as far as carbs/protein/fat goes

It's 1/2 gram of protein for every lb. So, if you weigh 150 lbs you should eat 75 g of protein per day. My percentages are 40% protein, and 30%, 30% for carbs and fat..

That's what is working for me.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I run at night - 11pm - 2am ... way after dinner (which i usually eat late at 7-8pm anyways) and I'll drink a little gatoraide or half of a protein shake beforehand - then I'll drink the other half when I finish or a half cup of cottage cheese or nothing and hit the sack - I immediately fall into a deep sleep...
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I try to workout whenever I can. There doesn't seem to be a "right" time to do it. Every trainer disagrees, as does every person. The point is just to workout. I try not to workout right after I eat, and I don't eat right after, I wait at least 90 minutes.
  • melissabranscom
    Options
    I usually excersie @ 7PM for about an hour. I also walk one mile a day during my planning period at school. I feel better and sleep better after I excersice at night.:happy:
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    A lot of people say they sleep much better when they exercise at night, yet for years I was always told that exercise gives you energy and keeps you awake. I've never had that problem though, I could definitely sleep after exercise!
  • Deweypc20
    Deweypc20 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I run at night - 11pm - 2am ... way after dinner (which i usually eat late at 7-8pm anyways) and I'll drink a little gatoraide or half of a protein shake beforehand - then I'll drink the other half when I finish or a half cup of cottage cheese or nothing and hit the sack - I immediately fall into a deep sleep...

That's impressive I am amped up for at least 1-2 hours after I work out.

I usually work out at my work gym right after work, so sometimes 6, sometimes 7 or 8 or later.
  • Newme4eva
    Options
    I found out that for me working out in the evening will keep me awake all night...I don't understand why but that's the way it is with me...Years ago I exercised early in the morning and a little bit of other physical activities during the day....
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Monday through Friday wake up at 3 workout until 5

Saturday maybe sunday never the same hour but always before 6 (before everyone wakes up)

Only drinking water and preworkout formula
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    3am & 8pm for 30 minutes to an hour and 7 day's a week and I'm going on my first year of it.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    Morning and afternoon usually. Between 30-40 minutes each time.
    I'd like to do more but when you have a 4 year old demanding your attention and household chores to accomplish throughout the day, you take the opportunity for a workout when you can fit it in :)
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Workout every morning. I find it much harder to get it done in the afternoon or at night. I just don't have the motivation.

I lift 3 days a week, I will eat before those days. I do cardio 3 days a week, I will NOT eat before cardio. The 7th day I will either throw in another lifting workout or an hour of stretching!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Every evening, 6 days a week, 30 minutes to an hour after dinner. Once dinner has settled I do my workout. 20 - 30 minutes after my workout I have a snack, usually a protein shake or some peanut butter / nuts.