Shocked at the amount of calories

Options

Replies

• phillynavy
    Options
    I notice that also. Then I switch to plain yogurt with Raw Honey for Sweetner.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at In N Out burger's calorie counts for everything on their menu.

I was also shocked when I put in "sunflower seeds" ... I love those things and they're SO high in calories!
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes shocked me way more then the calories. It's been an adjustment but worth it.

Most shocking food item has been the Arby's Fish Sandwich. I knew it would have a lot but when I put it in my logging that day, I about cried.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I work at a steakhouse-type restaurant
    The Loaded Baked Potato (which is suppose to be a side-I've had it as a meal many times) is OVER 800 Cals!!! WAAAA
    Entree sized salads there also start at about 1250 Cals
    EEK!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    A whole slice of cheese cake will not blow your day calorically . . just as long as you run around the block 8,000 times :laugh: Man I love cheese cake!
  • Aly51313
    Aly51313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You sweeten coffee with yogurt/raw honey? Or were you referring to just how you eat yogurt. Either way, I am going to try this.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I work at a steakhouse-type restaurant
    The Loaded Baked Potato (which is suppose to be a side-I've had it as a meal many times) is OVER 800 Cals!!! WAAAA
    Entree sized salads there also start at about 1250 Cals
    EEK!

1250 for a salad is depressing.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's probably going to be obvious to everybody else here how many calories are in them, but my shock came today. Dairy Queen's mini blizzards. Just the little mini ones are about 350+ calories! :(

I had a similar experience with a milkshake from Sonic many years ago. I checked it and it had more WW points than I was supposed to eat in a whole day. Yikes!
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    My wife had her birthday dinner at Cheesecake Factory. Personally, I'm not a fan. If a restaurant has that many items on the menu, they are pretty much all going to be mediocre. Mall parking lot restaurants are all like this. Anyway, not my birthday.

I went to find the nutrition information. Shocking. Apparently, they have 166 items on the menu that are over 1000 calories. Again, I don't think there should even BE 166 items on a menu. I eat half a pizza, half a piece of cheesecake, and 1 beer. That was 1700 calories. The Cajun Chicken Littles she ordered was like 1100 calories. She ate some that night. We split the leftovers the next day for lunch. They are serving 2x and 3x sized portions as single meals. You HAVE to get a piece of cheesecake...since your at the Cheesecake Factory. Those are mostly 1000+ calorie. With so much variety, it encourages everyone to get one for themselves.

The cheesecake was alright. The pizza wasn't that great. Half the city seemed to be eating there that night. I bet most everyone there would have been shocked at what they really consumed. If you're not careful, it's 2000+ calories in a single meal.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to see that something healthy like Salmon was 380 calories for a 6.6 oz piece of baked unseasoned salmon. However, I think we need to consider the source of the calories. I mean it is true the the Salmon has more caloies than a small Blizzard from DQ. BUT clearly the Salmon is better for you having more protein and essential oils and OMEGA -3 and -6...

I just hate some of the products we but which are "healthy" have sooo much sugar... Like Milk...

Gotta say, me, too. I'm often more shocked by sugar content in certain foods than I am by calories.
  • thenewjane
    Options
    But milk only has lactose.. and unless you are intolerant to it.. it is good for you. Same with fructose.. none of these sugars are bad for you. Your body digests them easily and it doesn't really effect your insulin levels or decay your teeth. So eat as much fruit and drink as much milk as you like.. it's a whole heap better than eating low fat ( i.e high sugar )diet foods.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Restaurant meals in general shock me. I always look up the nutritional info before I go out, and it just makes me want to stay home. My food tastes better and has less calories!

As far as sweets go, I make room for the calories but not everyday. I just eat a lot more veggies that day to keep me full.
  • s4naz
    s4naz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to get Tim Hortons chocolate chip muffin for a snack some days. Little did I know that little muffin had 410 calories!! It doesn't even fill you up for more than half an hour...
  • malyce86
    Options
    I knew that some of the stuff I was eating was bad, but I honestly thought some things were MUCH lower in calories than they are. Tortillas, cheese, and honey (64 cals per tbs!!!!!!) were big shockers for me! I've also had to do away with juice.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Peanuts!

Also, in the opposite direction, shocked that my boyf's yummy sweet and sour chicken is less than a pizza.

Surely this is not shocking?
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I found out how many calories were in the slush monkeys I drink at work.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What did me in? The cheesecake! At 600 calories per tiny, delicious slice.

Yup. That is what the people who say, "eat what you want, just in moderation" don't get.

Even if you have the willpower to only eat a tiny slice of cheesecake at a sitting, it is still an enormous amount of of your daily allotment of calories and you will be hungry again in no time and need to eat again, easily going over your allotment for the day.

Some foods there is just no practical way to eat in moderation. Unless you are one of those people who eats a spoonful of some treat and is satisfied.

You'll find after you're here awhile and have lost weight that you're able to eat your treats without agonizing and fit them into your macros. I was so anxious at first and cut alot of stuff out. Now I'm relaxed, fit it in and enjoy--every once and a while.
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    A lot of people don't realise that NATURAL sugars (like those in Fruit) are NOT bad for you. They just see "sugar" and think "omg fruit is supposed to be good for you and it has all this sugar", that's not the way it works. The thing that shocked ME was that there's more calories in 1 slice of dairy lea cheese than there is in 2 birdseye prime burgers. x
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Watermelon! I normally have half for breakfast in the summer and it can rock up to about 1000 calories!

also I have bread which is like 126cal per slice, like they aren't even big slices!
    or when wraps are like 250! I'm like whaaaatt howwww
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    But milk only has lactose.. and unless you are intolerant to it.. it is good for you. Same with fructose.. none of these sugars are bad for you. Your body digests them easily and it doesn't really effect your insulin levels or decay your teeth. So eat as much fruit and drink as much milk as you like.. it's a whole heap better than eating low fat ( i.e high sugar )diet foods.

http://www.notmilk.com