NEVER been to a Gym, Going Tomorrow. So scared, HELP PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Start with a goal of say, 15 mins of cardio. Each day add 5 mins. Before you know it you will be doing 60 mins of cardio. And don't think you have to run the fastest, or be the best. Do the speed that feels comfortable to you. As your fitness improves you can bump the speed up.
    Oh and don't make eye contact with any guys at the gym unless you're trying to get picked up, especially on a friday night. It's like a meat market. yuck.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Whether it's easier at the gym depends entirely on the mindset you get into. If you start regarding the gym as *your* place where you can test yourself and try new things, then it will be easier to push through the pain when you're there. If you always feel like an outsider and it continues to be difficult to just get along the sidewalk and up to the door, then you'll have used up a lot of your motivation just getting to the door, so quitting will feel like a relief.

And I have no suggestions for how to get into Mindset A rather than Mindset B. It depends so much on your personality, on the "vibe" of the gym, on the way you react to exercise ... for example, I have a high tolerance for pain and repetitiveness, and I like it when I get filthy and sweaty, so old-fashioned gyms with clanging weights and the occasional roared obscenity make it easier for me to relax and get in my own groove pretty quickly. Something tells me you would walk into a place like that, turn around, and walk the F out again!

So that's what the free lesson is for -- you're auditioning the gym. They're not auditioning you. You're seeing if you fit in. Trust your gut. Take a while to think about it after the lesson -- do you find yourself wishing you could go back? If you do, then walk back in and sign the contract.

Do NOT sign a contract right then under pressure, BTW. They'll give you all kinds of incentives but practice this line in the mirror before you go: "I promised my husband I'd come home and talk about it with him first." Or whatever is a bulletproof line for you.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    They require a contract, most places around my area do :-( The trainer/manager was so nice, he said the first session of training is free but he said he would help me our a few times until I got the hang of it. What if he is busy at the times I go? Ahh I worry toooo much I know! How do you stay motivated? I feel like once I start and get tired I will want to stop. I can not push myself at home I try to do squats/lunges and I do like 30 and stop. I never can keep doing it. I have no motivation I feel the pain and stop. Is it different at a gym, will I give up just as easily there?

Being in a gym atmosphere is motivational. Whether it's b/c of peer pressure or b/c you see all these people working hard, you're not going to just want to stop after you get tired. I promise.

If the trainer is busy just let him know you're there and then get on the treadmill or elliptical or bike until he's free then ask him what you need to. Most of the machines for resistance training (not the free weights) have instructions on them. Don't be scared to stand there and read them before beginning. It will help you prevent injury.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    http://ericamillard.com/?p=1566

It's not spam. It's titled "Dear new girl at the gym" and (though I'm a guy) It really touched home. When you first go you'll feel out of place, but you're there, you belong, you're starting on the same journey everyone else there is taking. Don't get discouraged because you're not as far along as they are. Keep going. They were all in your place at once.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    A longer contract will not make you go. No matter what, you end up committing day-by-day. You wake up and decide that you will go or won't.

I have 100 lbs. to lose and I was nervous going back to the gym. Most people at the gym are thin and healthy. Not me. But, I figure they are thin and healthy because they go, so....so do I. It is funny, that I now feel thin when I work out. Unless I see my reflection in the windows as I walk the track, I just walk briskly and don't feel self-conscious at all. Music/earphones help. I use my cellphone Tune-In app. There is a free workout music station that I usually turn to or Trance dance music. That beat helps set my pace.

Just Remember: Every gym member's #1 complaint of other members is that they don't wipe down the equipment when done. Just remember to do that and you will be fine! Your trainer will show you how. The staff at the gym should be helpful even after you have gone a while. You may want to try a new machine or something and they will help.

If you can only manage 15 minutes, that's 15 minutes more than now. You are not a hostage there and it should be pleasant so you will continue to go. I've had days where I've got my workout short just because I for some reason couldn't go on. But, no matter what, I show up 6-days a week.

Also, you have small children. If you use the gym's childcare, you might meet some other mothers and you will make some friends in the same boat as you are.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hopefully, you can meet a gym buddy there. So many people are encouraging. Just do what you can and increase it daily, even if is only 1 minute.

Think of it as a job. You have to go to work, you have to go do your job. That's it.
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    another question, Do people pay attention to what others wear at the gym? I went and got a few things yesterday but I worry I won't be wearing the right thing that the other women are wearing or so on.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    You see all kinds of dress, at least where I go. In fact, there is an Mennonite lady you walks the track and she wears her cap and long dress with sneakers. I wear loose knit pants and a T-shirt. Some wear cute work out clothes. I can't imagine that anyone really cares. I women ran by me last night in the cutest exercise tank and matching leggings. It motivated me to want to work harder. It didn't make me self-conscious. I've never seen anyone that I thought, "wow, do they look dressed wrong."
  • motivatethismom
    motivatethismom Posts: 42 Member
    Options

It's not spam. It's titled "Dear new girl at the gym" and (though I'm a guy) It really touched home. When you first go you'll feel out of place, but you're there, you belong, you're starting on the same journey everyone else there is taking. Don't get discouraged because you're not as far along as they are. Keep going. They were all in your place at once.

That was very encouraging, thank you and to the other poster who sent me this link
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention that gym staff don't tell you. Some of these machines have built in fans! Look for a fan icon on the machine. I can go much faster with the fan on when using the stationary bike and although I walk the track and not a treadmill, I know some of them have fans, too.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that you really don't know till you walk in the door: what's the culture of the gym? The culture is as different as different stores in the mall, different schools, different bars.

At my company's gym, there are a couple of religious Muslim women who do the treadmill in their head scarves and flowing gowns. Some Indian women do the treadmill in their long shirts and cotton pants, too (though none of them do it in their saris because saris are too special to mess up in the gym).

Then there are a whole bunch of guys who come down in the polo shirts and jeans they wear at their desk and then go right back up to their desks again. (No, my workplace doesn't smell real good sometimes.) One of the few guys who actually wears workout clothes, I wish he wouldn't -- he wears spandex bike shorts that are so tight you can tell which side his ... um ... equipment is tucked to, and the general size and shape of it, which I definitely do not need to know, especially when he's lying on his back on the floor doing pelvic tilts.

You're welcome for that mental image. It's seared on my retinas now, so I might as well spread the joy to others.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had been in and out of gyms most of my life but had never really done any "lifting" and at my gym the weights are on a totally different floor and I thought it was just for the men. I was SOO scared to go into that area and it literally took me 4 months to finally work my way in. I am embarassed to admit it but I also once almost had an anxiety attack and just ran out because I thought people were staring at me.

Like so many other posters have said, everyone is there for the same reason and there will be people at varying degrees of ability. There will people people running 20 miles on the treadmill and there will be very heavy people trying their best to do 5 minutes of walking. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

Your trainer will show you how to use the equipment and it is very easy ..you will get that in no time. Always just ask questions to the staff if you need to know something new.

As for what to wear. Something breathable and comfy..no one is judging on that either. I typically wear some form of quick dry shirt or tank top and a pair of yoga type pants. Any comfy running shoes will do in the beginning as well. I sweat like a cow so I also wear a sweatband or thick cotton headband to keep the sweat from dripping into my eyes...but I notice most girls arent as gross as me in this department!
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I read that yesterday. It really is a nice piece.

Go ahead you will be fine. Are you joining? or going as a guest? The trainer will give you an instruction usually and if not whoever you are going with can give you a little help with the machines. To be truthful most people are too concerned with their own workout to worry about someone elses. I am sure there are people that look at others routines, what they wear but those people are not there for the reason they need to be.
    I remember when I was starting out, 6 months ago and almost 60 lbs ago. I was on the elliptical at 250 lbs and this guy got on next to me and almost sneered. He matched my speed. He was panting at 10 minutes while I did 45. He saw me getting off sweating but not out of breath. I said to him" Don't worry it gets better with practice." I have a farm and work with horses, 1000 lb animals but he did not need to know that. LOL.:)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You're bringing up 3 kids. Joining a new gym is going to be piss easy by comparison. :D
  • LittleMissYoYo
    LittleMissYoYo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is a first for everything hun, just think... In around 5 months time you'll ask yourself what was all the fuss about! Doing things for the first time is very daunting but no one is there to judge you because you all have the same goal at the gym :) xxxx
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would just tell the trainer that you don't know how to use anything and let them show you everything.

In a way- it could be a good thing. You have no bad habits to break! It's ideal that you have a trainer on board- don't feel like you have anything to show off to the trainer- it's their job to instruct you.

Just go in with appropriate attire (sneakers, well-fitted workout clothes, hair pulled back, if you choose to wear makeup, not makeup that will run all down your face and get in your eyes with sweat) and an open mind and you'll be fine.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. I literally flew off the end of my treadmill once because I got wrapped up watching the TV (it was the couch "PIVOT" episode of Friends, lol) and no one seemed to notice. I'm sure if I was in a head bleeding at the end someone would have come by, but people sort of keep to themselves, and that's how I like it. No one is staring, it's all in your head, just follow proper gym etiquette and you'll be fine.

As for what to wear, be comfortable. The only time I really NOTICE what people are wearing is (1) if it's super cute and (2) if it's inappropriate. If you're wearing work boots or jeans, people will notice. If you're wearing something that's showing off a ton of cleavage and you're at risk of falling out, people will notice (and not in a good way).
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You're bringing up 3 kids. Joining a new gym is going to be piss easy by comparison. :D

Agree!! You are a mom of 3 children, going to the gym will be a piece of cake! In fact it might even be a really great stress relief for you.
    I've gone to a gym for years. There are still times that I'm not quite sure about how I'm supposed to use a machine and I'll just ask someone. I do the weights with the guys as well but everyone is respectful and friendly.

ps I'm a mom of 3.....love my gym time!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Relax !

Baby steps are fine ........ don't try to learn everything the first day ......... it took me weeks & weeks to feel comfortable with the machines ...... if you're not sure about something, ASK QUESTIONS, rather than risk getting hurt.

One time I dropped a hard plastic water bottle in the locker rooom ........ it broke & water was EVERYWHERE ....... pretty embarrassing, but I told the staff right away cuz I didn't want anyone to slip.

Once you really start working on the machines, clean them off after use ...... people HATE seeing sweaty machines :tongue:

Smile & have fun !
  • DWW529
    DWW529 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a TOTAL gym-a-phobe, even today. I started back on the fitness track in 2011 and go steadily. I still get feeling of dread when it's crowded, I still sometimes believe everyone there is staring at me and judging me for my weight, form (or lack there of) or my Green Lantern T-Shirt. But, then I take a moment, take a breath, get dressed and do work. By the time I leave, I feel fantastic. Here are some things I do to get myself right.

1. I work with a trainer from time to time. This helps me learn new exercises, define new goals and work on my form.
    2. I have some things at home. I don't work out as much at home as I do "figure things out". for instance, I have a couple of kettlebells and have researched some kettlebell circuts on YouTube. When I fell comfortable with them, I add them into my gym work outs, too. This accomplishes 2 things. You can work on your form until you get it right. This will help avoid injury and give you confidence in an envirionment that's new to you.
    3. Have a plan. Do a little research. Define your goals. Figure out how long you will be working out and how many days a week. Then do a little research. I guarantee you can find some sort of "plan" online that will be easy follow. Stay consistant with it for a period of time.

I'm not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt. What I can tell you is this, no one there is going to judge you more than you judge yourself. Figure out what works with you and have fun getting fit.

Add me if you like and enjoy your path to fitness.