Bulky Female Bodies

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My "lifting is useful" in real life story:

After I had my 3rd kid, my first was getting big. It was pretty hard for me to carry her around. She was only 4. I kept trying to explain to her that I could pick her up forever and that soon I'd have to stop.

Yeah, she's now 7, 50+ pounds and I can carry her around no problem. We had family pictures taken and the photographer asked me if I could pick up the 5-year-old. I looked at him like he had two heads. Of course I can pick her up (she's the tiny one though).
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Gasp- how dare you be attracted to someone for their physic!!!!

Yo, chicks that are into physics are hawt.
    Ohai thar! :flowerforyou:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I detest the implication that musculature and fitness are inherently masculine traits, throughout our society, and that to be feminine immediately implicates you must be slender, light and fragile-looking.

edit; obviously not my thoughts on the article, but more generally surrounding the issue

I totally 100% agree with you. 10000%. infinity percent.

Look at my avatar... she's a woman who lived 50,000 years ago (well, a forensic reconstruction of her). She very likely had to learn to use a spear like the one in the pic, maybe to defend herself and her kids from animals or hostile tribes, she may sometimes have had to go hunting with the men (and neanderthals hunted huge animals like bison, mammoth, woolly rhino and similar with only close range weapons (like the thrusting spear she's holding)). And she most likely had children, i.e. pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, raising kids to be able to survive as adults, all with only middle palaeolithic technology. and they lived in Europe during ice ages.... so she had to be able to withstand the cold with only fire and animal skins for warmth.

Really...... women are NOT supposed to be fragile or delicate. Strength is a human quality common to both males and females, necessary for survival through most of the ages that humans have lived through.

I can't think of a single evolutionary example where selecting for "fragile or delicate" in a mate WOULD be advantageous, for ANY animal. This entire concept is a relatively recent CULTURAL influence that only survives because we've managed to remove most of the raw survival type selection from society.

Unfortunately, in my experience, people who make comments about certain things being "unnatural" (i.e. women being strong and muscular) rarely have a strong grasp of all the crazy stuff that actually goes on in nature.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A lot of women have large thighs. It's not "disproportionate" it's normal. I read something that said 64% of women are pear shaped. That's the majority of women. Pear shaped women should not focus on trying to lose their thighs, or preventing growth, but on accepting their shape and realizing it's beautiful.

Also, yeah, I'd love to see some proof that spinning while at maintenance or at a deficit made anyone's thighs bigger. Actually I even doubt it made anyone on a surplus's thighs bigger other than fat gain.
    I may have to check again, but I believe women have about 10% less lower body muscle mass and 35% less upper body muscle mass than men. So I definitely agree that women in general should realize and accept their natural symmetry and proportions.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.

When I told my friend I wanted to do a figure competition later this year, I was told not to get "beastly"

DAFUQ? :laugh:

I have a friend who told me not to lift too much because I wouldn't want to be manly and that my husband might feel intimidated by that...dowhat? LMAO!

Yeah you missed that part Jules!

I like being to lift stuff. Its frigging useful.
    Like moving my couch or TV...

Inorite? I have been doing all the carrying of heavy stuff at the house because...hehehe...I can! I like to see how many grocery bags I can carry in at one time so I only need to make one trip, and the "heavy" dog food bag over one shoulder, LOL...

I will be happy to lift until I can't physically do it anymore. Granted, if I could pull of some amazing muscle in the process? Hellz yeah!

This is what it's all about for me: one trip in from the car to the house. Gym bag on one arm with a few bags of groceries, heavy bag of dog food on the other shoulder braced with an arm also laden with a couple grocery bags, purse on a strap on one side and a lunchbox on a strap on the other side.

Packmule Riven returns from work, gym, and errands.
    I am printing this out and showing it to my husband!!! He always gives me a hard time and calls me a packmule! Well, damn, can I help it I have a crap ton of crap to carry?! :laugh:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm the only woman I know who's is trying to put on muscle, I'm wanting to bulk up. I've been skinny and it really sucked. I'm also described regularly as being 'girly' .
    I had a strength program devised for me recently and even though I told the trainer I was really fit and wanted to get strong and build muscle he still created a really easy program mostly using the weight machines and light dumbbells.
    I'm going for a new new strength program on Saturday and I've been told to to tell the trainers 'don't treat me like a girl'.

oh hai

join our play pen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.

When I told my friend I wanted to do a figure competition later this year, I was told not to get "beastly"

I have a friend who told me not to lift too much because I wouldn't want to be manly and that my husband might feel intimidated by that...dowhat? LMAO!

Inorite? I have been doing all the carrying of heavy stuff at the house because...hehehe...I can! I like to see how many grocery bags I can carry in at one time so I only need to make one trip, and the "heavy" dog food bag over one shoulder, LOL...

I will be happy to lift until I can't physically do it anymore. Granted, if I could pull of some amazing muscle in the process? Hellz yeah!

This is what it's all about for me: one trip in from the car to the house. Gym bag on one arm with a few bags of groceries, heavy bag of dog food on the other shoulder braced with an arm also laden with a couple grocery bags, purse on a strap on one side and a lunchbox on a strap on the other side.

I am printing this out and showing it to my husband!!! He always gives me a hard time and calls me a packmule! Well, damn, can I help it I have a crap ton of crap to carry?! :laugh:
    Iknoright?
    Husband snapped a candid of me last time.
    how-you-look-carrying-in-the-groceries-in-one-trip_277834-380x.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.

That sounds like me, too. And I loved getting the dog food, because I'd carry it around on my shoulder through the store and to the checkout. They'd always ask if I wanted help carrying it out to my car, and I'm like "no thanks, I got this," and throw it over my other shoulder (because you have to balance this stuff out!) and head out.

The only reason I don't carry more bags in when I do is because I have two doors I need to open, and a pair of active dogs who like to try to high-jump, as well as a few rather narrow corridors and a staircase to deal with to get to the kitchen, and there's usually something breakable in the whole mess and I'm paranoid about breaking it. Strength-wise, it's fine, it's the logistics of that that kill me.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.

Iknoright?

Rofl......those are heavy cornflakes
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    snip

Iknoright?

Rofl......those are heavy cornflakes

I like to buy in bulk :tongue: Also, I get the ones with added fiber since my protein is so high all the damn time.

eta: broke the quotes
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.

Iknoright?

I LOVE that I'm not the only one that does this, people always give me such strange looks.....

What's really fun is going to petco and piling the giant bag of litter on top of the giant bag of dry food and then throwing them both up on one arm with the cat food stacked 10 high on top because I REFUSE to get a plastic bag when I don't need one...
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I detest the implication that musculature and fitness are inherently masculine traits, throughout our society, and that to be feminine immediately implicates you must be slender, light and fragile-looking.

edit; obviously not my thoughts on the article, but more generally surrounding the issue

I totally 100% agree with you. 10000%. infinity percent.

Look at my avatar... she's a woman who lived 50,000 years ago (well, a forensic reconstruction of her). She very likely had to learn to use a spear like the one in the pic, maybe to defend herself and her kids from animals or hostile tribes, she may sometimes have had to go hunting with the men (and neanderthals hunted huge animals like bison, mammoth, woolly rhino and similar with only close range weapons (like the thrusting spear she's holding)). And she most likely had children, i.e. pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, raising kids to be able to survive as adults, all with only middle palaeolithic technology. and they lived in Europe during ice ages.... so she had to be able to withstand the cold with only fire and animal skins for warmth.

Really...... women are NOT supposed to be fragile or delicate. Strength is a human quality common to both males and females, necessary for survival through most of the ages that humans have lived through.

^^THIS is possibly my favourite reply of all time.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If women with muscles look like men....

do men without muscles look like women???

Are those mens the ones that wear the tight pants? Then I would say yes.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    And what we're saying is that any aesthetic that requires you to limit yourself as to what you can achieve athletically or performance-wise is broken.

Yes. I completely agree with this. If I had to choose a fitness pro whose body is close to what I'm trying to achieve, it would be Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet. And I've had guys tell me, upon seeing her picture, that her arms are too big. Too big for what? Her arms support the work she does. It's not like she went out and tried to get huge arms. That's just what happens when you do what she does. Is she supposed to not do something she's great at because it might give her arms that some people think are "too big?" That's ridiculous.

By the way, here is Camille, for those who don't know who I'm talking about:

574710_3084767159684_1006065122_n-e1362419130468.jpg

For me, and unforseen (yet completely awesome) side effect of getting into CrossFit is becoming familiar with the likes of Camille LeBlanc-Bazine, Jackie Perez, Rita Benavidez, and other strong & beautiful CrossFitters. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just indoctrinated by the media's output of what women should look like. But nonetheless, I wouldn't ever aim for any of the bodies I've seen here.
    You are swayed by media. Young girls are hit ALL the time starting from grade school on how a female "should" look. And it doesn't help that Hollywood portrays very thin women as physiques that young women should shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used to be afraid of lifting because I "didn't want to look bullky." What changed my mind was shifting the focus away from what my body looks like, and instead seting my goals based on what I wanted my body to DO. Initially, I wanted to be able to do just one pull-up. Achieving that goal taught me how empowering strength can be. After three years of powerlifting and half a year of Olympic weightlifting, some people might think I look "bulky"... But I really don't care what they think, because I take a 100+ lb. barbell from the floor and toss it over my head and they can't.

I think it's a good idea for anyone just getting into fitness to try setting goals this way: what do I want my body to do? It doesn't have to be strength related: your goal could be "running a mile," or something as simple as "walk up a flight of stairs without feeling short of breath." But I've found that the "looking good" part comes very easily if you focus on "what can I do?" rather than "what do I look like?"

Awesome first post! :drinker::love:

Wow, that was her first post wasn't it? Nobody's first post is that good. I hope we see more of this woman in forums.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

foot ball players wear tight pants... they don't look like women.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

foot ball players wear tight pants... they don't look like women.

I don't know of any football players who don't have muscles.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My friend sent me a text the other day that said she didn't want me to get too bulky because then she'd get scared... I didn't know what to say to that...lol. Mind you I started strength training only a month ago.
    Goes to show how some are really uniformed on how fitness really works. Lots of misinformation is passed on by some of the women's magazines that deal in fashion and gossip.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THIS. Women get stupid things from magazines. "I'm going to stop eating yogurts because they're fattening" - not many yogurts are high calorie...