Husband forgot a double anniversary!?!?!?

Replies

• I've forgotten my OWN birthday before. :blushing:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    He still thinks he has it right.

Now I will enjoy what he has planned and not give him an earful for this, I love him and the thought counts a ton. I'm simply trying to understand how he could've forgotten...

I can understand how he would have trouble remembering the date. I have a harder time how people get through life without calendars. I use a Google calendar and it even emails and texts me reminders. Come on. It's not 1990 any more.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    On my divorce papers my husband at the time wrote the wrong marriage date. We even had a blanket on our bed which was still on it with our wedding date... he also got the color of my eyes wrong. We were married for 6 years...
  • if he loves you 365 days a year, I don't think one day matters

and it seems to me if someone loves you 365 days a year, vilifying them for being "off" by a day is punishment for doing things right.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Without details, I'm not going with mafia, i'm going with insider trading or embezzlement just based on OP's tastes and his willingness to proceed regardless.

I fear OP that since this was a traumatic day in his life he may WANT to forget and if you want to stay with him, you might want to have a recommitment ceremony or whatever they call those like second wedding or something. I think he and you both probably need to redefine and solidify your marriage post his mistake and it will also give you the opportunity to select a NEW wedding date which you will celebrate.

When you select the church to renew your vows I'd suggest asking them to provide you the same counseling they make new married couples take, just to see if your high expectations and demanding nature in any way led him to take such drastic measures willingly as to end up in handcuffs. You never know you might come out MORE committed, honest and bonded to one another than ever before once you suss out how that predicament really came about from you two and where his heart truly is despite the consequences of his mistaken actions.

Good luck OP hope you stop focusing on the minutiae which might be easier than dealing with the big fish you two have to fry.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    im horrible with numbers. ill tell you its 10.5 and its probably closer to 6 (maybe 6.5 if its really humid)

if i say it was 45 minutes its probably closer to 5.36 minutes

im just bad with numbers all around, dates or otherwise
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    [/quote]
    He's cheated on me and taken his ring off... so not so funny. cause he did that already
    [/quote]

He's been arrested, and has cheated on you. Not remembering an anniversary date seems to be the least of your/his troubles.
    [/quote]

What she said!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    gracielynn101 wrote: Mine has trouble remembering both my birthday and our anniversary. I remind about a week in advance by saying, "So for my birthday next Tuesday, I thought we could...". Whatever. That gives him a heads up and let's him know what I would like. Double win!
    I love this answer. Instead of making it a test by waiting to see if he remembers, this is a way to work around this minor fault. If he has the same attitude, I predict a long and successful marriage.
  • My husband planned an anniversary outing, but forgot when our anniversary was and planned it on the wrong day... why does this bother me so much... because a year ago on our anniversary he was apprehended and questioned by investigators, regarding something I am not at liberty to talk about, and i remember how sad it made me because I had big plans for our day (luxury car, massage, spa, private room in a nice restaurant, night out in a nice hotel, etc... all cancelled). Therefore I asked him to plan this year, because of the fiasco of last year, I just wasn't feeling up for it. And so he planned, and even with that more recent reminder, he still forgot what day our anniversary is! Knowing how much it means to kind of make the day special again and happy, especially following last year's disaster.

I asked him when did we get married and he rattled off the date, the wrong one, with such confidence... I asked when did the investigators take you away, and he does the same thing...

He still thinks he has it right.

Now I will enjoy what he has planned and not give him an earful for this, I love him and the thought counts a ton. I'm simply trying to understand how he could've forgotten...

So, let me get this straight...he was apprehended and question in what was likely one of the worst days of his life and you were sad because you had to cancel dinner???
    Jumped right out at me, too.
    Let's make it all about MEEEEEEEEE. Geesh lady. Give the poor guy a break now and again.
  • See previous comment

Oh and I made my choice a year ago to stay with my husband, people make mistakes and we are all fallible, and ALL worthy of forgiveness.

He's a man, get over it
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Haha, my dad sent balloons, flowers and called me to say happy birthday a few years ago on September 30th. Um...my birthday is September 29th. For that matter, I am an only child, so it's not like he has several kids to keep track of. I actually found it humorous and laughed about it. At least he was close and made a strong effort. Love my dad. :heart:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Wow you are getting some harsh commentary here. As someone who hates birthdays, forgot my own anniversary, and generally thinks most hallmark moments are BS, I can't really relate. On the other hand, if this was important to you, and you made that clear, I can understand your disappointment and I think you have a right to it. If I let my husband know something is important to me WHATEVER that may be, and he blows it off, gets it wrong, or doesn't appear to care - I am pissed and let him know. And believe me, after 25 years, it is a two-way street. I don't think this is about your anniversary, honey. It is about your disappointment in your marriage. And that sucks.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Give the guy a break. Dates, no matter how important are hard to remember year after year. I have to use my yahoo calender to remember all my dates and our anniversary. Doesn't make me or him a bad husband. my wife doesn't remember the date all the time. She might be off by a day or so. Who cares? It doesn't change the fact that we have a great relationship and I wouldn't trade her for anything in this world.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I got my date wrong too but my husband did not mind. We laughed it off. That was 25 years ago. Been maried 25 years now.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Wow you are getting some harsh commentary here. As someone who hates birthdays, forgot my own anniversary, and generally thinks most hallmark moments are BS, I can't really relate. On the other hand, if this was important to you, and you made that clear, I can understand your disappointment and I think you have a right to it. If I let my husband know something is important to me WHATEVER that may be, and he blows it off, gets it wrong, or doesn't appear to care - I am pissed and let him know. And believe me, after 25 years, it is a two-way street. I don't think this is about your anniversary, honey. It is about your disappointment in your marriage. And that sucks.

Wow! That is reaching pretty far to tell her she is disappointed in her marriage.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    If I want my husband to remember a date-I tell him... If he needs reminding, I will tell tell him again. It goes both way in communicating what we want. It makes for a stronger marriage. 28 years and counting! :)
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    I say give the guy a break. I always have to check if mine is on the 20th or 21st. It's a mental block. I can't remember!
  • Without details, I'm not going with mafia, i'm going with insider trading or embezzlement just based on OP's tastes and his willingness to proceed regardless.

I fear OP that since this was a traumatic day in his life he may WANT to forget and if you want to stay with him, you might want to have a recommitment ceremony or whatever they call those like second wedding or something. I think he and you both probably need to redefine and solidify your marriage post his mistake and it will also give you the opportunity to select a NEW wedding date which you will celebrate.

When you select the church to renew your vows I'd suggest asking them to provide you the same counseling they make new married couples take, just to see if your high expectations and demanding nature in any way led him to take such drastic measures willingly as to end up in handcuffs. You never know you might come out MORE committed, honest and bonded to one another than ever before once you suss out how that predicament really came about from you two and where his heart truly is despite the consequences of his mistaken actions.

Good luck OP hope you stop focusing on the minutiae which might be easier than dealing with the big fish you two have to fry.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This is honestly some of the best advice I have seen!

We are celebrating our 6 years of being married, and were hoping to renew our vows at year 10! What a great way to set a date that doesn't have anything to do with the unhappy situation (you guesses are actually incorrect, my tastes are just expensive when it comes to surprises for him, I'm actually quite frugal).

We have been seeing our chaplain, pastor and a couple of counselors since the "incident" regularly and that is a wonderful idea to go through re-pre-marital counseling before we renew! Though I doubt they will lower my expectation of fidelity and demand for honesty in all things.

Looking forward to a great weekend... oooooo that's right, I can just make it our Anniversary Weekend!!!!!!

OP out - tata!
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 298 Member
    I just lost my husband to cancer after 35 years of marriage. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's all over Before you know it and all this little carp doesn't mean carp in the big picture. :frown: