Liver Cleanse

Options
Hello all. Happy Thursday! I have a question to ask you all... I am going to do a liver cleanse for about 2 weeks. I have just started a new job, and it is during a little bit of a down time, so I have been researching the best things to do with weight loss. I came across an article stating that a liver cleanse is a great way to start, because it helps your system get rid of fatty deposits that are built up in your liver. I am a little bit scared of doing this, but it makes total sense to me at the same time. Has anyone else done this with good/bad results? The one I am doing is just 3 supplements once a day, so it should not be too involved.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, your body is very good at cleansing itself.

Save your money. Log your food, eat at a reasonable deficit no cleanse needed.

good luck
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would be rather concerned about what kind of supplements claim to cleanse your liver!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I would be rather concerned about what kind of supplements claim to cleanse your liver!

True I should pay attention to what were cleansing lol
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I cleansed my liver with tequila and wine last night.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    WHAT?! Why?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love liver, although I find pan frying is better than cleansing.

Seriously though you won't get much support for a cleanse here because its something your body does naturally. Eat at a calorie deficit as suggested by MFP and it will kick start your weight loss just fine
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Happy Thursday! I have a question to ask you all... I am going to do a liver cleanse for about 2 weeks. I have just started a new job, and it is during a little bit of a down time, so I have been researching the best things to do with weight loss. I came across an article stating that a liver cleanse is a great way to start, because it helps your system get rid of fatty deposits that are built up in your liver. I am a little bit scared of doing this, but it makes total sense to me at the same time. Has anyone else done this with good/bad results? The one I am doing is just 3 supplements once a day, so it should not be too involved.

No. It makes absolutely, positively, ZERO sense.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I worked with GI docs for over 15 years who specialized in liver diseases. DO NOT do a liver cleanse - all it will do is cleanse some money out of your wallet, and could potentially harm you.
    Your liver and kidneys function as your bodies cleansing mechanism, and do quite nicely when left alone. The only time fatty deposits are left in your liver is if you actually have a medical condition - which a cleanse will not help.

If you are trying to lose weight, log your food, go with your proram - mine is IIFYM, and your body will respond.

Good Luck!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If it calls itself a "cleanse" it is a scam. Your body cleanses itself. You can help it along by drinking plenty of water and eating healthy food (not crap) but otherwise just let it do it's thing. Also, be careful of what "supplements" you consume because many of those actually do more harm than good....some are harmless and even beneficial but it's a mostly unregulated industry where lots of scam artists are known to make wild claims just to take money out of your wallet. It's by no means an academic nor peer reviewed take on the subject but Penn & Teller cover "cleanses" in a very funny and enlightening way on their show "Bull****" which they made for HBO I think. Google it. It will make you giggle.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything was said about "supplements", I'm not sure about a liver cleanse but I've done several cleanses and I am sure my liver was part of that. They can be very effective, just be warry of anything too extreme...you should still be consuming plenty of calories no matter what you do. I have done cleanses that focus on have smoothies and puree soup for your first and last meal of the day and a big regular meal for lunch, focusing on making your body not have to work as hard to digest your food so it can have more energy for other things. And I have done a juice cleanse (not fast) that included tons of juice during the day. Both made me feel great and lose weight, however there is a good chance of gaining whatever you loose back quickly if you aren't slow to reintroduce whatever you cut out while cleansing. There are usually plans outlined for how to do that part properly and I firmly believe that is as important if not more important than the cleanse part it's self. Don't skip that part if you decided to cleanse...you will regret it.

They aren't long term solutions or ways to live for the rest of your life, but I think when done safely they have a place. Your body does cleanse naturally on it's own, but "cleanses" can be interesting ways to learn something about yourself...I myself found my digestion much improved by cleansing. Some people discover they have food alergies while reintroducing certian foods...it can be quite valuable when done right.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The liver does a perfectly good job at excretion as do the kidneys and no potion/fad will cure fatty liver disease.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    No no no no no no no no. And no again.

Gradual weight loss and exercise are the recommendations for tackling a fatty liver. No magic pills or diets. Just a change in lifestyle.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything was said about "supplements",

Then you didn't read the original post.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    No alternative treatments are proven to cure fatty liver disease.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything was said about "supplements",

Then you didn't read the original post.

Ah I see it now. I missed that line. I don't think I would recomend supplements for a cleanse...but I haven't tried that. Sounds fishy.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

You do understand that water flushes both the liver and kidneys right? And that some sort of magic supplement is just going to be filtered out BY the liver and removed same as anything else, right?

Don't waste your money.

Rigger
  • lmfbs
    lmfbs Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything was said about "supplements", I'm not sure about a liver cleanse but I've done several cleanses and I am sure my liver was part of that. They can be very effective, just be warry of anything too extreme...you should still be consuming plenty of calories no matter what you do. I have done cleanses that focus on have smoothies and puree soup for your first and last meal of the day and a big regular meal for lunch, focusing on making your body not have to work as hard to digest your food so it can have more energy for other things. And I have done a juice cleanse (not fast) that included tons of juice during the day. Both made me feel great and lose weight, however there is a good chance of gaining whatever you loose back quickly if you aren't slow to reintroduce whatever you cut out while cleansing. There are usually plans outlined for how to do that part properly and I firmly believe that is as important if not more important than the cleanse part it's self. Don't skip that part if you decided to cleanse...you will regret it.

They aren't long term solutions or ways to live for the rest of your life, but I think when done safely they have a place. Your body does cleanse naturally on it's own, but "cleanses" can be interesting ways to learn something about yourself...I myself found my digestion much improved by cleansing. Some people discover they have food alergies while reintroducing certian foods...it can be quite valuable when done right.
    OP's last sentence was that the cleanse is 3 supplements a day.

ETA - weird, things didn't update so I didn't see other people had replied with the same thing!
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    It's a magical thing, just invented. It's called...... wait for it...

Drinking Water.

BOOM.
  • charlicee
    Options
    Just eat clean for two weeks, that is all you need. No processed foods, sweets, sugars, added salts or preservatives, etc. Lean meats and veggies, that's it. LOTS of water. Best way to "cleanse" everything.