1200 Calories! How do you do it!

Options

Replies

• shaynemkeeler
    Options
    i usually eat around 600-800 calories a day i do it because i had gastric sleeve surgery and can't eat anymore than that haha
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    I dont, I eat liek 3,500 a day. BOOM.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm not advocating eating 1200 calories a day, but they do it by eating whole foods.

Chips, cake, ice cream, fried food, fast food.... you won't get much in for 1200 calories. Grilled, baked, steamed, boiled lean meats, vegetables, certain fruits.... you can load up your plate 3-5x per day and end up at 1200 calories.

It's all about the type of food and food preparation.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    <5'8" 200+lbs and I was satisfied on 1200 lol. I only recently upped my calorie intake to 1400. I'm pretty much sedentary though. I'm also on a lot of medication that cuts my appetite to nothing (not diet pills, migraine and seizure medication). I think it's possible if you do it right.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Anytime I eat less than about 1700 I am so hungry I want to gnaw my damn arm off. Both of them. Maybe my legs too.

1200 is much too low for most people. Eat more. You will still lose weight, and you will have more energy for exercise and won't be hungry and unsatisfied.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm not advocating eating 1200 calories a day, but they do it by eating whole foods.

Chips, cake, ice cream, fried food, fast food.... you won't get much in for 1200 calories. Grilled, baked, steamed, boiled lean meats, vegetables, certain fruits.... you can load up your plate 3-5x per day and end up at 1200 calories.

A diet of only whole foods sounds like a half life to me... :sad:
  • AngeliaDR
    Options
    Anyone who says they are getting along fine eating 1200 cals a day and weighs over 120lbs is a liar and should not be trusted.

Hah. Love this. I do eat 1200 and less and I 'get along fine' but I was used to eating once a day and drinking all my calories in the form of delicious lattes before MFP and trying to be healthier. I think it's more what KIND of calories you eat on 1200 that makes the difference.

Net cals or reg cals? Definitely the quality of calories makes a difference! But honestly, unless one is of low height/weight or some other unnamed medical issue.. 1200 calories before net is not realistic for fat loss and muscle gain goals. Often people trying to lose weight really just want to lose fat but don't understand how to do it properly (let alone are out of tune with their body). Kudos to those who can do it but I think it's just a fad as I have not met a single person online or offline of average stats who has ever kept up with 1200 cals everyday for life (or actually kept weight off).

I've been doing 1200 for 14 days and with exercise have lost 21.25 inches and 5lbs. In my case 1200 was an increase from daily average so it's likely working for me because this is more fuel than I've ever given myself to burn. As I get stronger abd start getting into more intense exercise and strength training I know I will need to increase my calories in order to keep building muscle and burning fat.
    But back to the original question from the OP, it is possible to be satisfied on 1200 but make sure it's the right 1200. A good balance of protein, carb, and good fats will keep you from feeling hungry all day.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says they are getting along fine eating 1200 cals a day and weighs over 120lbs is a liar and should not be trusted.

I'm under 120lb and I can't do bellow 1600!

There's hope for humanity! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1230 (if I hit this, I would be losing maybe .75 lbs. per week). Here is how I do it:

1) I exercise. And eat those calories. BIG motivator for me. On workout days, I am typically eating 1530 to 1900 calories depending on my workout. I try to workout 5 to 6 times a week.

2) On non-workout days, I don't stress if I go over by up to 200 calories. 1200 (or 1230 in my case) is not easy to hit without adding extra calories from workouts. However, I do NOT eat clean. If I upped my veggies and lean protein, and cut back on my "treats" (I frequently have some form of skinny cow candy most days, and popsicles in the evenings), I could easily do it and be full.

I don't believe 1200 NET is too low for everyone. Smaller women can easily have that target and be perfectly healthy. If you're obese? No. But looking to lose the last 10 or 15 lbs and shorter than 5'5"? Yes.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Hah. Love this. I do eat 1200 and less and I 'get along fine' but I was used to eating once a day and drinking all my calories in the form of delicious lattes before MFP and trying to be healthier. I think it's more what KIND of calories you eat on 1200 that makes the difference.

Net cals or reg cals? Definitely the quality of calories makes a difference! But honestly, unless one is of low height/weight or some other unnamed medical issue.. 1200 calories before net is not realistic for fat loss and muscle gain goals. Often people trying to lose weight really just want to lose fat but don't understand how to do it properly (let alone are out of tune with their body). Kudos to those who can do it but I think it's just a fad as I have not met a single person online or offline of average stats who has ever kept up with 1200 cals everyday for life (or actually kept weight off).

I've been doing 1200 for 14 days and with exercise have lost 21.25 inches and 5lbs. In my case 1200 was an increase from daily average so it's likely working for me because this is more fuel than I've ever given myself to burn. As I get stronger abd start getting into more intense exercise and strength training I know I will need to increase my calories in order to keep building muscle and burning fat.
    But back to the original question from the OP, it is possible to be satisfied on 1200 but make sure it's the right 1200. A good balance of protein, carb, and good fats will keep you from feeling hungry all day.

Congrats on your success! 1200 works often for people for about a month then their body starts wanting more because it can't keep up due to lack of fuel. It makes me happy to read that you are aware that eventually you'll have to increase calories to fuel more challenging workouts. Most people I see saying "I do 1200 cals no problem" are in denial about that. Keep up the good fight and good luck!
  • toddalmond64
    Options
    I think Sunbrooke's response below is pretty much perfect. Filling up on nutritious foods, lower in calories is pretty much the only way to get there without it hurting. I do think the calorie targets generated by the system are pretty much a guideline and you do have to figure out what works best for you. I am calculated at 1390 for my goals and I am a pretty stocky man. I rarely hit 1390 and instead average around 1550 but I am still hitting my weekly targets for weight loss over the first 5 weeks. Don't be afraid to nudge up the calorie count a bit if you feel better and are happy with the results. Your body probably knows best.
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for 3 weeks this time around and my limit is about 1300 calories. I usually eat between 1100-1200, but I do have days I go over. I think 1) I eat yogurt with high protein in the morning and 2) I drink a ton of water! I have 8 cups of water by mid afternoon and I think it keeps me full! I also eat fruits for snacks pretty often.

I have overeaten my whole life and I am very shocked that I am not starving, but I'm not! I never thought I could do this, but I am an all or nothing person so I am all in and doing fine.

ETA: Obviously, I know some re adjusting will be required as I go on. I don't expect to stay on this forever. This my first 7 pounds of at least 65 and I am logging NO regular exercise right now.
  • emmullins55
    Options
    Interested that formula can be adapted by using several different research models but it says I should be eating 1900 calories a day I am eating 1000.............HUH
  • amayzme
    Options
    So what does a food day look like for 1200 cals. consist of in healthy low carb high proteins ?
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options

A diet of only whole foods sounds like a half life to me... :sad:

I am set at 1200 calories too. It is expecially tough on my days off from working out. It takes planning. I often log all my food the day before to see where and if I can slide some extra calories in.

Last Friday I did it and topped the night off with a Qdoba pulled pork burrito and shot of vodka.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/suncluster?date=2014-01-31
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you'd want to. You could survive on vegetables and grilled lean protein and maybe lose weight just a little faster than if you found a way to keep eating things you enjoy. A diet without ice cream is bad for the soul, IMHO.

I'm 121 and couldn't survive on 1200 for more than a day or two before I'd want to kill someone and eat them. I don't care how much volume you can get on 1200, it just sounds miserable to me.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    amayzme, my diary is open and you can see what I eat for 1200 calories a day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think Sunbrooke's response below is pretty much perfect. Filling up on nutritious foods, lower in calories is pretty much the only way to get there without it hurting. I do think the calorie targets generated by the system are pretty much a guideline and you do have to figure out what works best for you. I am calculated at 1390 for my goals and I am a pretty stocky man. I rarely hit 1390 and instead average around 1550 but I am still hitting my weekly targets for weight loss over the first 5 weeks. Don't be afraid to nudge up the calorie count a bit if you feel better and are happy with the results. Your body probably knows best.

1390 for an adult male!?! This is not any number that MFP would give you.

Wow - bye bye muscle.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying that 1200 calories is too low, but that's what MFP set my target at. FWIW, I'm 5'7 and currently weigh 152, looking to get down to 135. I am basically sedentary (desk job) and have started trying to exercise 3 times a week.

Before starting this program, I probably ate 3-4,000 calories a day and hadn't exercised in years. I'm on week 5 of eating healthy (with a few slip-ups) and exercising, and I've maybe lost 1-2 pounds and no inches. I'm certainly not going to try to lower my calorie intake any further though - I'm grumpy enough already!
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you're a guy 1800 is the lowest you should go.