Natural water pills? Yes/No?

Options
What do you think about natural water pills for a person w/ no medical conditions but is feeling bloated and retaining water?

Not all the time but occasionally.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    why not just drink water?
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Not answering my question
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Pills filled with water will deliver less water than cups filled with water.

Dafuq?
  • turtleball
    Options
    Pills filled with water will deliver less water than cups filled with water.

Dafuq?

...Wha?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think by water pill OP means not ones that contain water but ones that help you release fluid. I don't know anything much about them but do you drink lots of water and do you eat too much sodium? Drink more and watch your salt intake. That might help with the issue.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean like a diuretic, right?
  • turtleball
    Options
    I think by water pill OP means not ones that contain water

Theres a such thing as pills that are filled with nothing but water?
  • turtleball
    Options

yea
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Not answering my question

unless you need to take a diuretic for a medical reason I would advice against it...possible side efects...some more common than others (as someone who is required to take "water pills" for hypertension)

- Frequent urination. This may last for several hours after a dose.

- Arrhythmia(abnormal heart rhythm)

- Electrolyte abnormalities -- Blood test monitoring of blood chemistries or electrolytes, such as potassium, sodium, or kidney function, is important before and during drug use.

- Extreme tiredness or weakness.

- Muscle cramps or weakness. You piss out the salt, but you also piss out the potassium...I have to consume mass quantities of potassium in my diet to make up for this.

- Dizziness, lightheadedness.

- Blurred vision, confusion, headache, increased perspiration (sweating), and restlessness.

- Dehydration. Signs include dizziness, extreme thirst, excessive dryness of the mouth, decreased urine output, dark-colored urine, or constipation. Taking a water pill also means you have to drink **** tons of water...

- Fever, sore throat, cough, ringing in the ears, unusual bleeding or bruising, rapid and excessive weight loss.

- Skin rash (alergy...can be severe)

- Loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, or muscle cramps.

So again...why not just drink water? If you don't have to take this stuff don't. Sorry you didn't like my initial answer, but it remains the same...drink more water...it's not that hard.
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    A natural water pill might mean something containing just natural ingredients instead of synthetic. Like maybe parsley in a powdered form which I bought just today! I also bought some parsley tea. It's WORKING!! I had really swollen ankles all through the holidays and I took the tea first and lots of water to help flush. I think I might just have hit on something!

Go to your health foods store and look for Parsley Tea. Let me know how it works for you!
  • turtleball
    Options
    interesting
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options

yea

Yeah you probably don't need them... If you're feeling bloated just drink a lot of water and it has the same effect naturally without the side effects. I know some people take them when it's that time of the month and they're bloated but why risk your health by taking a supplement when you should be drinking a lot of water anyway? I dunno. Guess they're just not for me.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

QFT. There's no need when water is free and readily available, let alone good for organ function and removing excess water weight.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think by water pill OP means not ones that contain water but ones that help you release fluid. I don't know anything much about them but do you drink lots of water and do you eat too much sodium? Drink more and watch your salt intake. That might help with the issue.

Thanks mockchoc.

I was wondering what on earth a water pill was.

Made me think of "Powdered water. Just add water!" from my high school English days.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You know what is a natural diuretic?

Water.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options

- Muscle cramps or weakness. You piss out the salt, but you also piss out the potassium...I have to consume mass quantities of potassium in my diet to make up for this.

How do you consume 'mass quantities of potassium'?

My mum takes diuretics for her blood pressure, and was talking about some of the side effects, I suggested she might need more potassium in her diet, and her friend who is a retired nurse agreed with me, but apart from leafy greens I wasn't sure what to suggest she eat to get more potassium.
  • dbmata
    Options

How do you consume 'mass quantities of potassium'?

My mum takes diuretics for her blood pressure, and was talking about some of the side effects, I suggested she might need more potassium in her diet, and her friend who is a retired nurse agreed with me, but apart from leafy greens I wasn't sure what to suggest she eat to get more potassium.

Bananas.
    Potassium pills.
  • turtleball
    Options
    A natural water pill might mean something containing just natural ingredients instead of synthetic. Like maybe parsley in a powdered form which I bought just today! I also bought some parsley tea. It's WORKING!! I had really swollen ankles all through the holidays and I took the tea first and lots of water to help flush. I think I might just have hit on something!

Go to your health foods store and look for Parsley Tea. Let me know how it works for you!

ok i'll make some.

btw your hamster in your avatar look like my old dead hamster, Princess.
    RIP
  • dbmata
    Options
    Coffee is a natural diuretic as well.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Uh, no.

It's not a good idea to hijack your body's water balance. Eat potassium rich foods and drink more water instead.