my son took down a bully today

Options
13»

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If the principal calls CPS, then the school and the principal open themselves up to a lawsuit for filing a false claim and retaliation. Clearly the principal does not think your child is endangered and is, in fact, bullying you into punishing a small child for acting in self defense.

Next time something like that is said, say so. The media would love to jump on this, and a hungry lawyer might have fun with it, too.
  • californiabella
    Options
    :laugh: that's awesome
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Being a mom of 4 boys and my oldest also being 8, I absolutely agree with your and yours sons approach. If my son was being the bully he'd def get disciplined a lot harder than him just defending himself! I can't believe the school actually told you they'd call CPS!
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying do this but it'd be funny to put this on 4chan with the school's number and let them get bombarded with calls.

Just the more I think about the principal threatening you ..just grrrr
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the fact that the school official made any comment about how you raise your child would be enough to make me want to sit down with the principal and hash things out. They have no right to threaten you or try and discipline you as an adult, much less insinuate that you are raising your child incorrectly. My brother had to deal with this kind of crap growing up, constantly getting picked on (so did I but his was worse) and we are both lucky to be here after the pain we went through. My parents raised me to never start a fight, and I never did... but one day my dad told me, "If you can't end the bullying by finding an adult or with your words, you need to defend yourself." The kid 4 years older than me ended up with a broken nose after I piledrived his **** into the dry, hot blacktop like a *****. Worked for at least 5 years haha!
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    LOL ... My son has been instructed on how to take out bullies. Now they leave him alone. Good for your son! I guarantee the little **** will not bother him again! When administration came to me with the situation, I told them I was going to file suit for not providing a safe environment for my son. I had all of the instances of us trying to take care of it the "right" way documented as did I the effects of the bullying on his well being. Needless to say, no action was taken against my son.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Call the Superintendent and report the principal. Explain the issue -- there is no need to call CPS because of a situation like this, and threatening to do so is actually a form of bullying in and of itself. Also, obviously the school itself is incapable of handling bullying and supervising of kids, since this continues to occur. The district office and superintendent are the next logical step.

My experience with CPS was that they just showed up, without any warning, because they don't want to give you time to prepare (my ex-husband figured it would be a great way to get even with me for not being a properly submissive wife and staying miserable forever). It was a pleasant visit. She walked in, spent about 5 minutes talking to me, I called the sitter and had her bring the kids home early, she talked to them briefly, pulled me aside and said she could tell from the minute she walked in that her call was bogus, thanked me, and left. He apparently tried it one other time when we were in court (per documents released via court order during a later court time), but the notes on that file show that they didn't give it any credence and weren't going to investigate.

More than likely, the principal won't call, as s/he knows it's completely stupid and a false report. If she does, more than likely CPS wouldn't bother to respond unless she REALLY blows it out of proportion and twists everything. And if they respond, it will probably take about thirty seconds for the social worker to realize it was idiotic (unless you're a complete idiot and living in filth and come off like an abusive jerk....and you don't seem like that. LOL).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this happened to your son.

I'm sorry the principal threatened you with something way out of left field.

It happens. Stay strong. I wish you were not now suddenly in an adversarial position with the principal due to her trying to force what goes on at home. I wish she would have noticed it is totally within her wheelhouse to enforce any discipline she sees necessary at school but not to tell you that IF you don't do something at home X or Y will happen.

Unfortunately all this takes the focus off the children who are the real ones who need the attention and solutions to make things work.

I imagine volunteers at recess time to oversee the kids and just have more eyes present might help as it seems the bully boy is opportunistic in his bad behavior as it seems from your stories that TWICE at least he is offending when others are not present.

There are probably a myriad of possible solutions that might help but they will be hard to get to now that the principal has taken her stance and you have taken yours. I hope something changes to correct that so that you can both focus on solutions that will work for both your child and the one instigating the problems.

:flowerforyou:
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I was bullied by a particular "tough girl" in high school. She would wait until after gym and corner me in the locker room and call me names. I finally got sick of it one day and got up in her face and told her if she wanted to fight then take a swing and we'd see what happened after that - that ended the bullying. She was only doing it because she thought she could get away with it and never thought I'd defend myself. My two sons have been told that I will not punish them for defending themselves.

If you have Netflix, take some time to watch "Bully" - a documentary about bullying in school. There are scenes where the school staff are saying they can't do anything. In another scene, a boy is bullied and does the "appropriate" thing and tells a teacher. The teacher finds the bully and then tries to force the kids to shake hands. The kid who was being bullied refused because he was sick of the school doing nothing about it and the teacher then called HIM a bully for not shaking hands. The school staff are pretty much inept and/or too saddled with policy to make much of a difference.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    They say they want kids to tell if they're being bullied. But when/if the bullied kids tell someone, they get in trouble for tattling in some schools!! I know this for a fact! Good for your son for taking care of himself when no one else was around to help him. Give him a high five from me!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    High five for your kid!
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The person who advised you to call the superintendent and notify him/her of the situation is right on the mark. Also find the name of the school board President and bring the incident to his attention. To further make certain that this principal gets the message loudly and clearly that (1) unsupervised children on the playground will not be tolerated and (2) bullying will also not be tolerated I would certainly make it known to the parents' organization that these things are going on and that the principal seems more interested in disciplining the students than taking responsibility for the situation.

The fact that the playground was unsupervised two times that you know of, means that these are not isolated incidents, but most likely a chronic condition. As another person posted, if there had been an emergency, the lack of supervision could have proven deadly. This is not the way to make certain that the students are safe in school.

Having been a teacher for many years and also having to perform playground duty, I can honestly tell you that there was never a time when only one person was watching over that playground. Too much can happen when children are unsupervised or undersupervised and I am not just talking about incidents between children.
  • Sarasjourney
    Options
    How dare the issue that no one was there to supervise not be addressed. Then again who's to say a blind eye wouldn't have been turned anyway?

As someone who was bullied too, I congratulate your kid for laying down the law with his bully. Maybe now that kid will think twice about messing with him.

That Principal's a joke.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    How dare the issue that no one was there to supervise not be addressed. Then again who's to say a blind eye wouldn't have been turned anyway?

As someone who was bullied too, I congratulate your kid for laying down the law with his bully. Maybe now that kid will think twice about messing with him.

That Principal's a joke.

Sadly the bully is now likely to turn his focus on another kid. They really need to address his issues/needs.

Apparently Principal badges are now being dispensed at random as cracker jack prizes. I thought it was just Cali.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My kids haven't been the victim of a bully. But I remember telling them when they were in 2nd grade, after discussing this topic in school, that they first should find an adult. If they can't, tell the bully to stop in a loud and clear voice, not giggly and quiet. If that doesn't work, try to move away from the bully. If those three things fail, and they're still being bullied, then they need to defend themselves! Well, DD was 7 at the time and she told her teacher that her mom said she could hit back. Um...no, not exactly. When everything else fails, what's left?? Just take it? NO!! I also told DD's that they would NOT get in trouble if they has to resort to that. I'm sorry your son had to go through that, but good for him for NOT putting up with it one more time. He tired everything else, and this was what he was left with.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with this country, YOU are in the wrong if you try to defend yourself.

Kudos to your kiddo.

This !