Why soy over regular milk?

Options

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Soy contains phytoestrogens, which bind to estrogen receptors, making a man's body think it is overproducing testosterone (which aromatises into estrogen). It also stimulates the production of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), a protein that deactivates testosterone.

Cited references please?

Soya is also supposed to cause and prevent certain cancers.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance for me, though I honestly prefer almond milk.
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can't drink cow's milk anymore, as it gives me an acid stomach, yet I can eat cheese until the cows come home...
    I now drink rice milk. Don't like the taste of soy or almond milk.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of soy milk, but not all brands taste the same so I'm a bit fussy about which one I buy. I always choose one made from whole soy beans from a label that claims to be GMO free. Soy milk is a far more processed food than cows milk, (even that weird de-fatted, homogenised, pasturised, watery stuff the health professionals recommend we drink), it certainly isn't "natural"!! Mind you, I'm not sure that cows milk in any form can be described as a "natural" food ... certainly not for humans. But If I liked it, I would drink it :-)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Soy contains phytoestrogens, which bind to estrogen receptors, making a man's body think it is overproducing testosterone (which aromatises into estrogen). It also stimulates the production of Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), a protein that deactivates testosterone.

Cited references please?

Why, would you stop consuming soy? just curious because I find that many vegans work on the belief system and don't require much science and when I say science I don't mean documentaries or blogs and when presented to them generally ignore it anyway.
  • Sapho38
    Options
    Be careful about soy milk as 95% of soy production in the USA has GMOs so buy only organic.

I like flax milk, hemp milk and almond milk but they are not really 'milks' per se and do not provide the calcium that cow's milk has.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Be careful about soy milk as 95% of soy production in the USA has GMOs so buy only organic.

I like flax milk, hemp milk and almond milk but they are not really 'milks' per se and do not provide the calcium that cow's milk has.
    They're calcium fortified, so you'll be fine not consuming cows milk in that regard.
  • Greytfish
    Options

They're calcium fortified, so you'll be fine not consuming cows milk in that regard.

They're commonly, but not always fortified. Then again, so is cow's milk.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Some people genuinely prefer the taste of soy and almond milks.

Not me though. Full fat whole cow's milk all day. Nothing else compares.

They prefer the flavor because soy milk has flavor added to it--hardly anyone would drink it if it didn't have vanilla added to it. Hey might like regular milk better if they added vanilla to it, also.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Milk in Canada is not fortified in calcium, vitamin D, yes.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever consider how many farm workers, human farm workers, die or get seriously injured each year while harvesting the items needed for your precious non milk 'milk'? How about how many immigrant farm workers that are taken advantage of and paid peanuts to do back breaking labor while working their fingers to the bone in order to get you enough raw materials for your non milk' milk '? And they do all this honest hard labor while being hunted down like animals and vilified in the conservative media as hardened criminals.

Does anyone care about their suffering? Or do cows matter more than humans? Or do we even consider those people human? Just trying to figure out where all this moral high mindedness about using fake milk (milk is murder....GTFO) comes to an end.
    Well, in fairness, the humans have the choice to engage in this labor or not (if they're being held as slaves, that's a different matter and already against the law).

Having said that, I don't avoid any food, except raw tomatoes, but that's only because I think they're gross.
  • AnnieDayNow
    AnnieDayNow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There is an ingredient called carrageenan that is used in almond, soy and coconut that is a known to be linked to cancer and should be avoided. That being said, these days everything causes cancer because the U.S. makes it acceptable for corporations to continually screw with our food supply. I personally prefer cow milk. I used to love almond until I found out about carrageenan. Soy also mimics estrogen so I avoid all processed soy (plus 99% of soy in the US is GMO). The choices and "facts" can just be too much. Good luck on figuring out what works for you. It is a challenge. The more questions you ask, the more questions you will have.
    I haven't heard of this before. Just out of curiosity, I checked my carton of store brand almond milk, and nope. No carageenan. Not that I would avoid a food purely because of rumors on the internet, anyway...
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, soy can mess with your hormones. If you are allergic to dairy, I would use rice milk or almond milk instead. I steer clear of soy. Just my opinion. I love milk by the way and have purchased it raw many times from reputable dairys.
  • Greytfish
    Options

That doesn't even make the top ten reasons I'm glad to not live in Canada.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Cited references please?

Why, would you stop consuming soy? just curious because I find that many vegans work on the belief system and don't require much science and when I say science I don't mean documentaries or blogs and when presented to them generally ignore it anyway.

I might - if it were proven to me that soy was as injurious to health as the above claim.

- what makes you think I am vegan anyway?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Cited references please?

I might - if it were proven to me that soy was as injurious to health as the above claim.

- what makes you think I am vegan anyway?
    I don't think it said it was injurious, just how is metabolized and it's effects. I didn't say you were vegan, I said many vegans don't look to science for their reasons to be vegan, it's more about what they believe to be true. Are you vegan btw? Personally the soy fear mongering is not warranted for the vast majority of people, not that it won't have a deleterious effect on someone, but I think it's overblown to a great degree. Personally I don't consume any, but that has nothing to do with this concern.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Sorry, no idea what your point is.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever consider how many farm workers, human farm workers, die or get seriously injured each year while harvesting the items needed for your precious non milk 'milk'? How about how many immigrant farm workers that are taken advantage of and paid peanuts to do back breaking labor while working their fingers to the bone in order to get you enough raw materials for your non milk' milk '? And they do all this honest hard labor while being hunted down like animals and vilified in the conservative media as hardened criminals.

Does anyone care about their suffering? Or do cows matter more than humans? Or do we even consider those people human? Just trying to figure out where all this moral high mindedness about using fake milk (milk is murder....GTFO) comes to an end.

I prefer my milk with extra suffering added. Which form should I go with?

Immature babies should stick with breast milk.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I prefer my milk with extra suffering added. Which form should I go with?

Immature babies should stick with breast milk.

23683-Ashton-Kutcher-burn-gif-95QB.gif
  • Greytfish
    Options

Sorry, no idea what your point is.

Meaning that there are at least 10 better reasons I'm glad I don't live in Canada.