Cold Showers for Weight Loss

Replies

• ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    I just took my first one and OMG the cold shower was terrifying!!! But as you near the end your body starts to get used to the temperature. Doctors have said it increases weight loss and helps build muscle because the temperature increases your glucose intake. Pretty neat but not too bad. I think I'll take them for a month and see what happens.

I would have to see the science on that. Sounds like BS to me.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    I just took my first one and OMG the cold shower was terrifying!!! But as you near the end your body starts to get used to the temperature. Doctors have said it increases weight loss and helps build muscle because the temperature increases your glucose intake. Pretty neat but not too bad. I think I'll take them for a month and see what happens.

I would have to see the science on that. Sounds like BS to me.

Cold showers are BS... but as I explained, there's a grain of truth in there with cold temperatures and brown fat. It's also easy to out-eat the benefit, so if the person is not following a sensible eating and exercise plan, it's not going to be of much help.

There is no need to do anything extreme, either. Take precautions with cold weather by dressing appropriately, and small changes like setting the thermostat to 68 indoors can have some benefit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    i prefer luke warm showers..they burn body fat and build muscle at the same time...
  • cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Cold showers for weight loss totally work.

As long as they are taken after a full on work out and before a calorie controlled breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

That's what I was thinking lol. There is no magic way to lose weight. Burn more calories, eat well, move your body.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I made it to my goal weight without any cold water showers so I'm good. Warm baths on the other hand... mmm.
  • ndj1979
    I heard a cold cup of ice with water before bed helps burn calories more while u sleep but I usually don't so it since I hate waking up in the middle of the night for bathroom break

you heard wrong..
  • ndj1979
    OP - is there a rainbow in your shower and do unicorns bring you towels?
  • ndj1979
    Actually, there's something to the theory as all those other linked articles explained. I get the best burns at the pool--I work hard but I think the cold water (not really cold--about 79-82 degrees) has been shown to burn extra calories. :smile:

idiocy breeds more idiocy
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Actually, there's something to the theory as all those other linked articles explained. I get the best burns at the pool--I work hard but I think the cold water (not really cold--about 79-82 degrees) has been shown to burn extra calories. :smile:

idiocy breeds more idiocy

You're being so mean!

It's much more supportive (and a hell of a lot more entertaining) to encourage all these cold showers . . .

OP - take those cold showers, you'll be looking all ripped in no time. :flowerforyou:
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/

There are many sites which explain the theory behind cold thermogenesis, it's not bull, also not for everyone... But just because you don't like it...that doesn't mean it's bull lol
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    :huh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2012/09/burning-more-fat-with-cold/

There are many sites which explain the theory behind cold thermogenesis, it's not bull, also not for everyone... But just because you don't like it...that doesn't mean it's bull lol

LMFAO! Definitely subscribe to that site. Please. :flowerforyou:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    i prefer luke warm showers..they burn body fat and build muscle at the same time...
    That works but it's a slow process. By changing the temp every 30 seconds you can do cut and bulk cycles. Much better.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 686 Member
    I read on the interwebs that if you take an icicle and place it up your nether regions that you'll reduce your core temp and burn more calories. It might have been a story on a fetish site though. *shrugs*

/end idiot phase
  • One time, the hot water wasn't working right and I really needed a shower, so I took one cold. I ended up huddling under the blankets for a good while afterward.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    One time, the hot water wasn't working right and I really needed a shower, so I took one cold. I ended up huddling under the blankets for a good while afterward.

Been there!! Couldn't make me do it willingly, I look forward to my hot showers!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    I read on the interwebs that if you take an icicle and place it up your nether regions that you'll reduce your core temp and burn more calories. It might have been a story on a fetish site though. *shrugs*

/end idiot phase
    lol.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    I'm losing weight great and I take nice hot showers.

Amen!
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    cold shower for weight loss !

you should listen to your mother... its for stifling a stiffy !!!
  • Turn down your thermostat a little, less shocking to the system!