Who thinks all calories do the same things for use?

Options
You could say are all calories created equal?

This is not a calorie is just a calorie question.

Replies

• Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand the question...a calorie is a unit of measure.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand the question...a calorie is a unit of measure.

Exactly, it is a unit of energy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    All calories do the same thing for you.

Not all calorie delivery systems are created equal.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You like to stir the pot.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    In for 18 pages of arguing.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    You could say are all calories created equal?

This is not a calorie is just a calorie question.

You would have to specify. A calorie as a measure of energy is always a calorie. A calorie as far as nutrition is concerned is not always a calorie ( and the word calorie is also really wrong in this case, but I don't know what to call a unit of food otherwise) because it depends on how nutritious any given food is.
    So one has to do with how much food/energy we ingest and the other has to do with the quality of that food.
    For example: One calorie of a Twinkie has the same energy as one calorie of a home made pizza, but one calorie of that pizza is most likely much healthier than that Twinkie calorie.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    +1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This isn't a "calories is/isn't a calorie" thread.

So is it a macro thread or a clean eating thread?

I can direct you to multiple threads on either topic.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about in terms of what feels better, I definitely feel a lot more energy when I eat healthy food. Crap stuff tastes really nice, but then I feel sluggish right after.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another post like this?

Food has many properties and "calorie" is one of those properties describing the energy value of that particular food. That variable is the same across different food groups but the other properties that a food has, are NOT the same across different food groups.

So for example, 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken, will provide the same energy to the diet. But it will provide a whole bunch of things in addition to energy value that will differ between the two, such as micronutrition, differences in amino acids, fatty acids, differing effects on satiety, palatability/preference. Those additional properties can have an effect on weight loss in that they can effect energy output (one side of the energy balance equation) and quite clearly food selection can effect satiety/adherence which can effect calorie intake.

None of this means a calorie is not a calorie. Calorie deficits are still a fundamental requirement of weight loss and the opposite is true for weight gain. It is still fundamentally the energy balance equation.
  • DETRMND
    DETRMND Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LOL stirring the pot is right.

I found this link on one of the forums here on MFP.

I read it and found it very informative. Take it for what its worth.

Its a fairly involved article but worth reading if you have the time.

Enjoy

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Food has many properties and "calorie" is one of those properties describing the energy value of that particular food. That variable is the same across different food groups but the other properties that a food has, are NOT the same across different food groups.

/thread.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Now I can see you are just trolling.
    Bye.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

We need this like we need another "what counts as water" thread . . .
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    LOL stirring the pot is right.

I found this link on one of the forums here on MFP.

I read it and found it very informative. Take it for what its worth.

Its a fairly involved article but worth reading if you have the time.

Enjoy

http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

That's the article that started my major frustration with some of the members on this site.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

He's the dullest troll MFP has had, one way or another.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Saying "a calorie isn't a calorie" is like saying "a gram isn't a gram." But you never hear people arguing the second one.

One gram of white bread has totally different nutritional properties (and calories, for that matter) than one gram of green pepper, so you could say that a gram isn't a gram using the logic used when you say a calorie isn't a calorie.

Your body uses the energy in food as energy, either right away, or stored for later use. It uses the nutrients for other things. So all calories do the same thing: provide energy to your body. Some calories just come in a package with more of the stuff that does other things.

Edit to remove parentheses.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

So for example, 100 calories of cake compared to 100 calories of chicken, will provide the same energy to the diet. But it will provide a whole bunch of things in addition to energy value that will differ between the two, such as micronutrition, differences in amino acids, fatty acids, differing effects on satiety, palatability/preference. Those additional properties can have an effect on weight loss in that they can effect energy output (one side of the energy balance equation) and quite clearly food selection can effect satiety/adherence which can effect calorie intake.

None of this means a calorie is not a calorie. Calorie deficits are still a fundamental requirement of weight loss and the opposite is true for weight gain. It is still fundamentally the energy balance equation.

QFT
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

We need this like we need another "what counts as water" thread . . .

Then why read and then add to this thread.

You need it because deep down in places you don't like to talk about - you love it
This discussion has been closed.