Sweet Potato Recipes??

Options
frankysgurl
frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
Looking for some sweet potato recipes instead of the usual sweet potato fries lol. Thank you!

Replies

• Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Would like to Incorporate Sweet Potatoes more in my Diet also. Especially after my Workout.
  • _karyn_
    _karyn_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a dehydrator and I do sweet potato chips. You can do them in the oven too. I find them really good and crunchy, I use olive oil instead of coconut like the recipe says though.

Organic Sweet Potato Chips

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 12 hours

Total Time: 12 hours, 10 minutes

Yield: 2-3 servings

Serving Size: 1 serving

Ingredients

* 2-3 sweet potatoes cut very thinly (I used a mandolin for this)
    * 1-2 tsp melted coconut oil per sweet potato
    * A generous amount of unrefined sea salt

Instructions

1. Peel and slice sweet potatoes as thinly as possible.
    2. Place in a bowl and soak in water for 1 hour, changing the water at the half hour point.
    3. Place on a towel to dry a bit.
    4. Drizzle coconut oil on them. Stir and coat evenly.
    5. Generously season your sweet potatoes with unrefined sea salt.
    6. Place the sweet potatoes into a dehydrator and dehydrate at 145-155 F for about 12 hours.
    7. Check your potatoes periodically to get your desired crispness.
    8. If using an oven, turn on lowest setting and leave the door slightly a-jared.
    9. Place sweet potatoes onto a cake cooking rack so that it gets proper ventilation on all sides.
    10. Cook until desired crispness.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I mash them like regular potatoes, steam them, put them in soup, bake them, make fries, crisps and whatever else with them! Love Sweet potato!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Looking for some sweet potato recipes instead of the usual sweet potato fries lol. Thank you!

Just smother a yummy sweet potato with an even yummier serving of chilli.

My fav.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I bake them in the oven or on the BBQ, I prefer them to white potatoes :smile:
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Saute boiled sweet potato cubes with cinnamon . Remove from the pan. Deglaze the pan with orange juice (as little as necessary). Pour the pan sauce over the sweet potatos. Yum yum!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing some replies to this thread. Low fat recipes with sweet potatoes would be great. Right now, I just bake a sweet potato and add some feta cheese. It is good, but I need variety. :)
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I haven't made this yet, but it's on my list of things to definitely do:
    http://crockpot.betterrecipes.com/hearty-sweet-potato-and-french-lentil-stew.html
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My dog dances around the kitchen when he sees me getting the sweet potatoes and a frying pan out. I give him fruits and veggies as treats and sweet potatoes pan fried in coconut oil is something I've let him try recently. It's quickly become a favorite to both of us.

Don't tell Rico, but I doctor them up a bit for myself. After I set a couple pieces to the side for him, I add other veggies and continue to sautee/pan fry them... chop everything into bite-size pieces... carrots, red onion, sweet peppers (red, yellow, orange), broccoli. Oh, I usually add some minced garlic, oregano, and basil. Sometimes, I'll add a little bit of prepared salsa. If it's for breakfast, I'll top it with a couple sunny side up eggs. If it's for lunch or dinner, I'll slice a piece of chicken sausage and add it to the pan until it's heated through.
  • MJ1975CA
    Options
    Sweet Potato Hash!!!!

1 cup small diced sweet potato
    1/2 cup diced red and green bell pepper
    1 tablespoon diced white onion
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tsp garlic olive oil

Put all ingredient in skillet, cook on low/medium heat for 30 or more minutes. I cook them until they are crisp on the outside of the sweet potato. Be patient with the cooking time, it really makes a difference!!!

Serve with a cooked egg on top or mix in a scramble or into an omelet.
    I also use the same recipe above and put in Mission white corn tortillas for tacos (add your favorite taco toppings!). Sometimes I put them in the same tortillas and top with salsa verde and bake at 350 degrees until soft for amazing enchiladas! (I do not add any cheese, but you can if you want)

Recently I have stuffed bell peppers with the same basic recipe. Also good over some black beans.

I cut up the sweet potato, bell peppers and onions ahead of time and store in containers. They will last a full week if stored properly.

You can really play around with the seasonings in this recipe. This is how I prepare it and it's a big hit!
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My family loves this recipe. We probably eat it at least once a week. I plugged it into MFP and it came to 196 calories a serving, and this recipe makes about 4 servings.
    Ingredients

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    Directions

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    Place the sweet potato chunks into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle the brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, chili powder, and cayenne pepper overtop. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated with the seasoning. Spread onto a baking sheet.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over with a spatula, and continue baking until the sweet potatoes are golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.

*I mix all the seasonings together (make a big batch to save for another meal). I put the potatoes in a zip lock bag, put the olive oil in, seal the bag and toss them around to get them coated then put a couple of tablespoons of the seasoning mix in then toss them around to coat. If you have leftovers of them, refrigerate, they taste good cold!
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    I haven't made this yet, but it's on my list of things to definitely do:
    http://crockpot.betterrecipes.com/hearty-sweet-potato-and-french-lentil-stew.html

I haven't made this exact version, but I have made lentils with sweet potatoes. I went Asian with it and used coconut water, coconut milk, lime juice, cinnamon. I wish I had had some cumin or something like that to add to it. It turned out fantastically! It was really tasty.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    Options
    Sweet Potato Hash!!!!

Serve with a cooked egg on top or mix in a scramble or into an omelet.
    I also use the same recipe above and put in Mission white corn tortillas for tacos (add your favorite taco toppings!). Sometimes I put them in the same tortillas and top with salsa verde and bake at 350 degrees until soft for amazing enchiladas! (I do not add any cheese, but you can if you want)

You can really play around with the seasonings in this recipe. This is how I prepare it and it's a big hit!

Haha! Great minds think alike! I've done the sweet potatoes and veggies (slightly bigger chunks than you suggest) sautéed and made into quesadillas with cheese and tortillas. I love to experiment with the seasonings and different ways of putting foods together!
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's hard to beat a properly baked sweet tater, w/ just a smidgen of butter to set it off. Really, really good! There's a previous post that references roasting cubed sweet potatoes in a moderately hot (400 - 425 deg. F) oven, after coating w/ olive oik & spices. My wife has a similar recipe, but I'll be damned if I can recall exactly what the spice blend is :p ! I think its really hard to go wrong, unless you get into the "candied" thing; personally, I've never seen the appeal of marshmallows w/ sweet potatoes.................
  • mitchellkd
    mitchellkd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet potato soup recipe on my website. We LOVE it.
    www.mitchell-fitness.com
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like to have "stuffed" sweet potatoes. You bake them until tender, scoop out the innards. mix with desired ingredients then pop it back into the skin.

My usual has black beans, coriander, cumin and a bit of cheese mixed in. After putting the "stuffing" back into the potato skin I will usually bake it again for a few minutes so the cheese melts.
  • wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You gotta go sweet and hot:

Peel, cube, and boil or steam 1 sweet potato.
    When fork tender, put drained cubes in bowl with a small bit of butter
    Open a can of chipotle chili packed in adobo, fish out 1 chili, mince, and add along with a teaspoon of the liquid in the can.
    Mix well with a touch of salt and pepper.

Devour.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I like to make sweet potato gnocci with sage butter. Made it this Thanksgiving and it was a hit. Also I like them in gratins.