replacing eggs with egg white

Options
I have bought a carton of egg white to make myself omelets etc. Now I also would like to use some recipes which call for whole eggs. The box with the egg white says that one serving is the equivalent of the egg white of one egg. So if the recipe calls for a whole egg, do I add two servings of egg white?

Replies

• betweenthesedays
    betweenthesedays Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Usually 1/4c of something like egg beaters is equal to one egg, so I'd just use that.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if the recipe calls for a whole egg, use an egg. Egg whites are in no way a substitute.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    if the recipe calls for a whole egg, use an egg. Egg whites are in no way a substitute.

Agreed.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can see that for cakes etc. But I want to replace at least some of the whole eggs in a casserole. My doctor said not to eat whole eggs anymore (or very rarely), so I thought if the recipe calls for 4 whole eggs I could go with maybe 2 whole eggs and fill up the rest with only egg white as a first trial.
  • Athijade
    Options
    I can see that for cakes etc. But I want to replace at least some of the whole eggs in a casserole. My doctor said not to eat whole eggs anymore (or very rarely), so I thought if the recipe calls for 4 whole eggs I could go with maybe 2 whole eggs and fill up the rest with only egg white as a first trial.

May I ask why your doctor has said that? What the reasoning was? Truly curious because I can't think of any reason backed medically anymore (they used to demonize eggs for fat content and then cholesterol, but both have been disproven).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

May I ask why your doctor has said that? What the reasoning was? Truly curious because I can't think of any reason backed medically anymore (they used to demonize eggs for fat content and then cholesterol, but both have been disproven).
    Most Dr's shouldn't be giving out dietary advice and it seems when they do, it's can sometimes be described as Medieval. Most GP's would do themselves and their patient a great service if they referred them to dietitians or sport nutritionists.
  • betweenthesedays
    Options
    Even in a baked good the egg whites would be fine. In a casserole, ditto.

With all due respect to the message board doctors, there are still people for whom eggs (and especially egg yolks) can be quite problmatic. Since your doctor knows your medical history, I'd be going with the doctor every time.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I'd also like to know. There's absolutely no reason that you should avoid whole eggs, if you're fine to eat egg whites. I think you're doctor may be living in the 90s...
  • betweenthesedays
    Options
    Or 2012 - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120813155640.htm

While they're probably not necessarily terrible for many folks, this idea that it's been so thoroughly debunked that it's now a non-issue for everyone is false. If you're at risk for cardivascular disease then some caution and moderation (as the OPs doctor is suggesting) is probably wise.
  • neanderthin
    Options

While they're probably not necessarily terrible for many folks, this idea that it's been so thoroughly debunked that it's now a non-issue for everyone is false. If you're at risk for cardivascular disease then some caution and moderation (as the OPs doctor is suggesting) is probably wise.
    You do realize how absurd that study was.
    The study looked at data from 1,231 men and women, with a mean age of 61.5, who were patients attending vascular prevention clinics at London Health Sciences Centre's University Hospital. Ultrasound was used to establish a measurement of total plaque area and questionnaires were filled out regarding their lifestyle and medications including pack-years of smoking (number of packs per day of cigarettes times the number of years), and the number of egg yolks consumed per week times the number of years consumed (egg yolk-years).
  • Athijade
    Options

That study is funny...

Because it had to be the eggs instead of the cigs and other unaccounted for variables.

Plus, it relied on the patients actually telling the truth which has been shown to be one of the worst ways to conduct these sorts of studies. They lie to look better on paper. It has happened with similar studies in the past.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In baking and cooking eggs are generally used in three ways: liquid content (to balance dry ingredients), leavening and binding. In all three cases, all you need is the egg white. If you want to decrease a bit of fat content (because maybe you want more cheese on your casserole but want the right macro ratio for your meal, I don't know why everyone is hatin' on leaving out some yolks!) but get the benefit of binding and liquid content for your casserole (obviously leavening is only relevant to baking) go ahead and substitute the same amount of liquid of egg whites instead of using whole eggs. It ain't gonna make or break your casserole. You don't even taste egg yolks when they're in anything but like plain, omelet (maybe), and egg salad.
  • neanderthin
    Options

That study is funny...

Because it had to be the eggs instead of the cigs and other unaccounted for variables.

Plus, it relied on the patients actually telling the truth which has been shown to be one of the worst ways to conduct these sorts of studies. They lie to look better on paper. It has happened with similar studies in the past.
    How many cigs and eggs did you eat on the second Tuesday in May in 2005..........and could you update for each subsequent day, that would be great, wouldn't want the FFQ to be inaccurate, for you know, study purposes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If your doctor has told you to not eat eggs, maybe get a casserole recipe without eggs?
  • dolthack
    dolthack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm with the other guys asking why your doctor would say to avoid the yolks? It may not look like it to view my diary now, but before I got done with my heart surgery for a defective valve and then three catheter ablations for fibrillations, I was in pretty damn good shape for 50 (by current american standards). I weighed 180, had 18%bf (which is still high I know), and was running 10ks and could knock out 50+ pushups in a row (again, not phenomenal but higher than the average american 50 year old). I usually eat at least a dozen whole eggs a week except at the end of the school semester when I sleep too late to make breakfast from staying up late grading. Just prior to my heart surgery they of course did all the major blood work and esophageal ultrasound to look at my arteries. In the year leading up to the surgery I was probably eating 18 whole eggs a week, exercising like a mad man, and feeling great (other than the congenital valve problem). My cholesterol numbers SHOCKED my doctor....he could not believe that I ate that many eggs weekly and had that good of an HDL number. It was so high that he said it completely negated the already low LDL number I had. And my arteries? Smooth as glass.

So - unless you have some kind of medical condition that precludes you from eating whole eggs, why would your doctor tell you to avoid them?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    message board doctors lol.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Most Dr's shouldn't be giving out dietary advice and it seems when they do, it's can sometimes be described as Medieval. Most GP's would do themselves and their patient a great service if they referred them to dietitians or sport nutritionists.

I'm so glad I found the doctor I did - he works hard to keep his knowledge up to date and he's told me about various educational sessions he's attended about things, like when we were talking about nutrition he said he had recently been to a conference on nutrition and what information he learned.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have bought a carton of egg white to make myself omelets etc. Now I also would like to use some recipes which call for whole eggs. The box with the egg white says that one serving is the equivalent of the egg white of one egg. So if the recipe calls for a whole egg, do I add two servings of egg white?

If you look on the box of the egg whites it should tell you the conversion amount for recipes.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    message board doctors lol.
    Funny how the Dr's in my extended family agree that most of their peers should not be giving out nutritional advice. Some of the conversations were shocking and quite hilarious, I guess the caveat would be you would have to know something about nutrition to get the jokes. I wouldn't go to my cardiologist for dental work either. Funny how that works.