Why soy over regular milk?

Options
1235»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Be careful about soy milk as 95% of soy production in the USA has GMOs so buy only organic.

I like flax milk, hemp milk and almond milk but they are not really 'milks' per se and do not provide the calcium that cow's milk has.
    They're calcium fortified, so you'll be fine not consuming cows milk in that regard.

They're commonly, but not always fortified. Then again, so is cow's milk.
    Milk in Canada is not fortified in calcium, vitamin D, yes.

That doesn't even make the top ten reasons I'm glad to not live in Canada.
    Sorry, no idea what your point is.

Meaning that there are at least 10 better reasons I'm glad I don't live in Canada.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFTI5VmiAS1QW4EozVKZMOc1d1xZg5jd8WRkSnqxRIxAFG6r5krQ
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Be careful about soy milk as 95% of soy production in the USA has GMOs so buy only organic.

I like flax milk, hemp milk and almond milk but they are not really 'milks' per se and do not provide the calcium that cow's milk has.
    They're calcium fortified, so you'll be fine not consuming cows milk in that regard.

They're commonly, but not always fortified. Then again, so is cow's milk.
    Milk in Canada is not fortified in calcium, vitamin D, yes.

That doesn't even make the top ten reasons I'm glad to not live in Canada.
    Sorry, no idea what your point is.

Meaning that there are at least 10 better reasons I'm glad I don't live in Canada.

I am glad you dont live here.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    :huh:
    Oh, the Canadians are testy again for no reason. Someone should have popped some popcorn.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    Oh, the Canadians are testy again for no reason. Someone should have popped some popcorn.
    Is that anything like "the natives are restless"?:laugh:
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Why? Because Nope.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I drink low fat cows milk.

I imagine most people who drink soy milk are lactose intolerant or vegan - maybe some like the taste or believe it has other health benifits.

Poster was right about humans being the only species to regularly drink the milk of another species though - and only western humans from cold climates originally.
    Most African or Asian cultures do not have a history of drinking milk other than human breast milk for human babies.

I'm not saying that makes drinking cows milk gross or anything - but I'm not getting why so many posters took umbrage at the statement of fact about this.

Not getting how OP's simple question has caused so much angst at all.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I imagine vegans choose it.

In my case, though, it's because too much dairy gives me... well, let's just say it keeps me running to the bathroom. So, I tend to opt for dairy free alternatives when possible. Artic Zero instead of ice cream, almond or soy milk instead of cow's milk, etc

I'm not entirely lactose intolerant, though. Just get a little sick when I consume too much dairy. So, occasionally, I'll reach for cow's milk. Although, I've found I actually prefer the taste of almond milk and soy milk.

The 'angst' is born every time someone suggests someone use something other than cow's milk where cow's milk would normally be used. For many, many moons we have had it shoved down our throats that cow's milk is healthy and the end all be all in getting calcium in the morning. People have trouble parting from that. :tongue:

We were talking about GMOs in one of my humanities classes the other day. GMOs (current hot button thing, I guess) have been around a LOT longer than most of the anti-GMO people seem to realize.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is pretty horrible.

Unsweetened vanilla rice milk is the greatest thing ever invented.
    Oat milk is pretty good too.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I use almond milk for my cereals purely because it has lower calories, Then if I have calories left over at the end of the day, I have a glass of milk on the evening.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't use soy either. I use almond milk. I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to soy ;P.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I haven't found anything that has less calories than skimmed milk, but if it wasn't so expensive I'd buy soy or rice milk more often because they taste good. I also can't find the same amount of proteins in them which is a problem for me.
  • KrysBlaze
    KrysBlaze Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Some people genuinely prefer the taste of soy and almond milks.

Not me though. Full fat whole cow's milk all day. Nothing else compares.

Agreed.^^^

I don't use soy bc it's GMO.
    And only do hormone/steroid free grass-Fed cows

But I do use a coconut creamer that is divine. :)
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    You people sure have a lot of angst :/