Some of us are just not made to be *that* skinny

Options
124»

Replies

• Ladyluna39
    Options
    I am 5'4 and a year ago I was at about 115, I started insanity and did 5 rounds before switching to T25. I am the same basic size as I was a year ago and I am at 122. What all of these stupid charts don't factor in is your bone structure ( my ring size is a 3, yes, 3 and my wrists are smaller than my 8 year old son who is of average stature). My sister in law is also 5'4 inches tall, but her bones are much sturdier than mine. We both wear the same size jeans, and she weighs 20ish pounds more than me. Her ring size is an 8 and her wrist is twice the diameter of mine.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I agree it is very frustrating. I am 5'2" and at 145 lbs I am in a size 4-6 pants size. IMO - anything smaller than that and I look sick. (my profile pic was taken when I was 145) I have pretty muscular legs and a full frame so I've never put much stock in the charts, but I just went to a couple different sites with "suggestions" and here is what I came up with. Weightwatchers goal weight for someone my height is 109-137, WebMD says 101-136, self.com actually took into account the size of the frame, but it said my "happy weight" should be 128.1. Just goes to show you - everyone is different. It's good to just use your own judgment. Good luck!
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and bodybuilding.com suggested I strive for a goal weight of 120.... I think that's insane! I am more focused on my pant size and my measurements now. I do still have a ways to go, but I won't base it off the scale. Everybodies body type is different. I know people my height that can rock 150. I think I would look too small at 150. I do lift weights, and I know that gaining muscle mass can have an effect on the scale. You lose inches, not particularly weight.

Rock your curves, girly. And if your dream pants fit well, then nevermind the scale :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite issue - my happy weight by the charts is around 139. After I lost my weight and went into maintenance in 2012, it settled in nicely at 128. I had a performing arts doctor give me my weight range - 125 to 135. I am 5'8" with long thin "dense" bones.

Those charts have ranges for a reason. All of society is not what you see on TV, the Internet and fashion magazines.

Eat and Keep Active to be feel good and be productive .... be the best you.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think age has a lot to do with this. "Skinny" isn't really important once you are in your 30s+...especially if you have children. I know that I definitely shifted my way of thinking as I got older and had kids...from appearance to health.
  • elainek79
    elainek79 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 3.5 and 125 lbs my profile pic i took last night right before i went out... i feel good at this weight as i was always heavier as a teen and all through my 20's i weighed between 155- 169lbs i just wanted to be a size european 12 but that changed when i reached that size ...i then wanted to be a size 10...8....ect..i used to think jennifer aniston says she is 7st 7lb and she looks awesome but ive been 8st 7lbs and i was miserable and looked terrible i never forget how confused i was because i had myself so convinced that being skinny would make me happy and when it didnt i was scared thats when i was told about weight training and eating right i no longer want to be skinny i want to be fit and toned and awesome :)
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've seen the scale ruin more diet/exercise plans than donuts and lager. It's just such an awful way of thinking about health, we are all so very different.

I am currently 'overweight' and would have to lose 30lbs to be in the middle of the 'healthy' weight range. I have muscle but I'm not anything like a bodybuilder or anything.

945007_10201254098101602_779831945_n.jpg

I think if I lost 30lbs I would be seriously less healthy and attractive than I am.

Here's 5'5" Ronda Rousey, a professional athlete and fighter, who's about 135. Not a bodybuilder type at all, very strong and athletic but still very feminine.
    Ronda_Rousey.jpg

Ignore online scales. Only you can make you happy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree. We are not all meant to be the same size. There are so many reasons and factors in this. We should not be pressured to be like anyone else in terms of physical appearance and weight. We should show respect for one another physically, mentally, intellectually, emotionally and in every other way.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    actually 120-130 for a woman who is 5 ft 5 is on the cusp of being underweight.

I would stick with your goals.

That's actually not true. 111 pounds would be the lowest healthy weight for a 5'5'' woman. That being said, BMI can be highly deceiving, especially when it comes to someone with decent muscle mass.

In the end, all that matters is what you're comfortable with OP, and i'd focus on BF% more than BMI anyways. If you;re happy, and healthy, what other people think is irrelevant.
  • Beet_Girl
    Options
    Everyone has a different frame and body composition. That said, it might be a good idea to get a second opinion from your doctor or get your body fat comp analyzed. I only say this because of my sister. She is not overweight, according to BMI, and is therefore not worried about her weight. However, she has a lot of viceral fat, and that is not healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about weight. Be more concerned about body fat %.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition