Cold Showers for Weight Loss

Options
123457»

Replies

• run4itnow
    Options
    Turn down your thermostat a little, less shocking to the system!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Cold showers are also supposed to boost testosterone
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair in cold to keep my color. I live In mn...I can tell you cold does jack for metabolism...those doctors are quacks
    I live in MN too so I'm cold all the time! Does nothing for my weight loss!!

I'm in WI! Below freezing everyday for weeks in my area. Still fat. What the hell.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

is that why they make your junk shrivel up?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I go through "cold shower rage" every time . . . lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

No, it's true.....it increases Test. Strange I know. Show the advice to take a cold shower was just fuel for the fire. lol.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You all can talk as much crap as you want but I'll tell you one thing, I've never seen an obese eskimo.
    wanna rub noses?

that's probably because they burn calories jackhammering holes in the ice to catch and eat raw fish, then go and get cozy and warm in their cute little igloos. LOL!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cold showers do not make of a difference in weight loss. The only good thing about cold showers is less water usage. You're not running the water as long for it warm up (this is especially true for low-flow shower heads). If you want to use lower body temperature to lose weight, I think you're better off finding an unheated pool and swimming for 15 minutes. You'll be cold as hell all night.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    ShockedGoofy.jpg
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I read on the interwebs that if you take an icicle and place it up your nether regions that you'll reduce your core temp and burn more calories. It might have been a story on a fetish site though. *shrugs*

/end idiot phase

:noway:
  • FiresongUK
    Options
    I'm not sure about for weight loss but I've found that after a work out, when my muscles are all achey and tight, blasting between hot and cold in the shower really helps soothe them. It's more bearable to stand the cold too, because you're already so hot and sweaty from the exercise.

Thinking about it you should burn slightly more calories in climates both colder and hotter than your core body temperature, because you need to do more work to regulate it. However there's a reason your body wants to regulate it! It's not happy at that temperature and your metabolism will not be functioning properly if you stay there for extended periods of time. Too cold and reactions will happen too slowly. Too hot and things start to denature and break down. It's just not all that good for you. Cba looking for any peer reviewed evidence to back it up but that's just logical thinking drawing from my human metabolism module at uni :P
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've tried that when I was at my highest weight. At least here in my country it is not cold. Mainly it's hot. Ugh,

Anyway I've read that somewhere on the internet, and it says cold showers activates brown fat?

Brown fat is healthier. At least thats what I've read.

But if youreally are willing for that cold showers. Good luck on that.

Do what makes you feel comfortable in your weight journey. But if you feel horrible on that. Please stop.
  • Fodao
    Fodao Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of gimicky to me. I'd just go for a 15-minute walk every evening instead. It's guaranteed to burn calories, and it's much less traumatic, thermally speaking. :)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mhni10RPMf1qcdf7bo1_500.jpg
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Rinsing conditioner out of your hair with cold(er) water at the end of the shower makes your hair softer. That is the only purpose I have found for cold showers. Well, and I suppose when someone, or an ill timed washer cycle, used up most of the hot water before you and you still have to shower anyway.

If being cold does whatever to your white fat into brown fat, then brown fat must be all I have because I'm freezing cold eating at deficit. Cold all the time --- all -- the -- time. Yet, I'm pretty darn sure that being cold didn't dramatically change my fat composition. If it did, wouldn't I be warmer? People with more brown fat are less sensitive to cold. I shiver in any room under 75 degrees. Winter dieting has been torture for me. I sleep with 2 blankets and a comforter on the bed and I still shiver for an hour before sleeping.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272258.php This article recommends shivering for 10-15 minutes for the fat conversion. Forcing yourself to shiver in a cold shower for 10-15 minutes a day just sounds horrible.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240989.php "The fat that builds up around our waists and thighs is the white type, while brown fat is mainly found around the neck areas (front and back)." Scientists don't really know if people can or should have more brown fat.
  • Krizanti
    Options
    I agree. As the body shivers, it burns more calories.

When cold showering, try putting your nape under the shower first. It's very cold, but it helps you lose weight ;).