How to be polite?

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Is there a polite way to ask a "sexual" grunter to tone down the noise?

Here is the situation. Guy is grunting, sighing and moaning. He is doing this for every lift no matter weight size, even when doing pull ups. I felt very uncomfortable. My iPod volume was maxed out. I was about to leave when he packed up to leave. I believe grunting has its purpose. I believe in his right to grunt. I also believe we both should have the opportunity to utilize the gym without molestation.

Not looking for a debate, just some "friendly" advice. Is there a way we can coexist in harmony? I am hoping there is a way to work this out politely, rather than having to leave whenever he is there.

For all those that didn't actually read the post. I mentioned "grunting, sighing and moaning"

I have been to many gyms over the years and never before heard a lifter sighing and moaning as he worked out. Deep guttural sounds of pushing your limits to the max do not involved sensual moaning.

read your original post and this one..and my response is the same…it is a gym, people make noise, sometimes very loud ones, deal with it...
  • positivity1967
    Options
    ask him if he'd like a tissue for when hes finished ;)
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Definitely tell staff, it saves you gaining a enemy and they're more likely to stop when it is coming from a staff member.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Get yourself beats headphones , You will not hear a thing !
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why it bothers you to the point where you would leave the gym because of it.

We all have different tolerances. My limit, apparently, is hearing "sex" noises from a young man about the same age as my son. I am sure other women would love hearing those noises.

I don't know about other women, but my brain doesn't register gym grunting as "sex noises".
    Perhaps the issue isn't with the actual noise, but with the way you think of it.

there are definitely a few people who do not make "work" grunting noises. They undoubtably sound more like sex grunting.

I've only been around one or two people like that- I just point and laugh at them. Seriously- one was my friend- I was like what is that awful racket. Turns out it was kenny- doing a seated press- and he sounded like he was pumping away. It was really laughable.

it happens- I just laugh- and move on- I could see how it would be wildly annoying- but I just keep doing what I'm doing.

point laugh- move on.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Definitely tell staff, it saves you gaining a enemy and they're more likely to stop when it is coming from a staff member.

'A man with no enemies is a man with no character.' — Paul Newman

or, in this case, 'a woman with no [...]'
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

Here is the situation. Guy is grunting, sighing and moaning. He is doing this for every lift no matter weight size, even when doing pull ups. I felt very uncomfortable. My iPod volume was maxed out. I was about to leave when he packed up to leave. I believe grunting has its purpose. I believe in his right to grunt. I also believe we both should have the opportunity to utilize the gym without molestation.

Not looking for a debate, just some "friendly" advice. Is there a way we can coexist in harmony? I am hoping there is a way to work this out politely, rather than having to leave whenever he is there.

I dunno, but it would drive me nuts too.

This is the exact same reason that I had to stop watching women's tennis on the TV, the continual, stupid grunting noises drove me insane and are frankly, unnecessary and used as gamesmanship.

He is doing it to make you notice him I reckon haha

Considering she had headphones on he probably thought she couldn't hear,if she crossed his mind at al
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

For all those that didn't actually read the post. I mentioned "grunting, sighing and moaning"

I have been to many gyms over the years and never before heard a lifter sighing and moaning as he worked out. Deep guttural sounds of pushing your limits to the max do not involved sensual moaning.
    Does he also say, "oh yeah baby" and ask the bar to move its leg over a little that wa- OH YEAH THAT'S IT!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Does he also say, "oh yeah baby" and ask the bar to move its leg over a little that wa- OH YEAH THAT'S IT!

not everyone talks while having sex
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    When he's through say loudly, "Waitress, I'll have what he's having." :D

But OK, I do wonder if creepy guys ever do that to be exhibitionists. I've been followed around in Walmart by an old dude masturbating and had some guy hide in the next bathroom stall at a cafe and stick his head under when I started to pee, so maybe my mind just goes there now! Both guys literally ran away when I started to confront them, so if he's that type, at least know he's easy to scare away if you'd like. You'll figure something out.
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Helpful answer is noise cancelling ear buds.

What I really think is that you need to get over it. Its uncomfortable sure, but if you can't handle this, how do you handle so many other things in life?