What's your favorite Winter Olympic event and why?

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Curling is just bowls on ice.

You have a set number of games per end (usually ten, but sometimes eight), and eight rocks per game.

The object is to push the rock as close to the house as possible... i.e. get your big stone closest to the centre of the target.

It's harder than it sounds, it's not just a game of power... it's a game of judgement, cohesion and strategy. And if the rock hits another rock, it will usually stop moving immediately after. Usually the first rock is thrown trying to hold the house, and then the next rock is a cover rock. The opposing team will try to move cover rocks to create a path for their rock to get to the centre of the house, or use the other team's cover rock to help their rock on a path towards the house.

The team mates with the brooms are there to alter the state of the ice in front of the rock. If they scrub and how they scrub is important to how fast or slow the rock moves, as well as what direction it continues to move in.

It's boring to watch if you don't enjoy strategy games, really.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm alone here, but I love Curling.

alg-olympics-curling-jpg.jpg

We are not alone.

I love Curling because my stomach gets all tight when they are scrubbing the ice so hard and the puck is almost there and it just might make it and........well it feels like an ab workout to me
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Biathlon.

Target shooting combined with cross country skiing; combines athleticism with mental and spacial control. Sounds simple, but when you realize what it takes to ski a course and hit a target? Blows my mind.

In most of the Winter events, the athletes look pretty good in the middle of their run - like they're doing what they were born and trained to do. About halfway through the Biathlon competition (and a lot of the other cross-country competitions, for that matter), they look like they might be about to die.

Exactly. I'm not saying that snowboarding, skeleton, etc. aren't totally badass; just having someone complete with a great time and stellar shooting? Then, as they cross the finish line you realize they are basically tapped completely out? Major kudos from me at least. :)
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Figure skating, such strength and beauty. Gymnastics is pretty awesome to watch as well, men and women. They are all amazing athletes. I wish them all success.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Hockey!

I am Canadian and hockey is in our blood :drinker:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

not alone. i've never skied or snowboarded, never bobsledded. but i have curled. they actually took us curling for gym class so many years ago when i was in the 6th grade (in northern MN)!
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The snowboarding for sure, I think because I BMX I appreciate how difficult it is more than some people who have never tried an extreme sport :) I appreciate most of the sports though and enjoy watching them.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I love slolum (sp?)... it just seems like they're having the most fun!! downhill skiing last night was pretty cool too though...
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

alg-olympics-curling-jpg.jpg

Nope...no, you're not. This is my favorite, too. :)
  • willjenks98
    Options
    My favorite is curling as well
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,425 Member
    Options
    I can't pick just one!! I love the skating and really liked the new team concept. Love the downhill-I can't look away! I love hockey on person but am not a huge fan on tv unless it's a big game like the medal matches. I agree that curling is bizarre (and really IS a drinking game!) but it's fascinating to watch. All the other sports I watch and am just impressed and awed by their athleticism even when I wonder who thought up the idea to make it a sport (skeleton, biathlon I'm talking to you!)

Right before the winter games start I always say I like summer better but as soon as the competition gets going I love them too!

And I admit, I love Mary carillo's features on the host country. I still vividly remember her going to the panda hospital when she was in Beijing.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Curling is just bowls on ice.

You have a set number of games per end (usually ten, but sometimes eight), and eight rocks per game.

The object is to push the rock as close to the house as possible... i.e. get your big stone closest to the centre of the target.

It's harder than it sounds, it's not just a game of power... it's a game of judgement, cohesion and strategy. And if the rock hits another rock, it will usually stop moving immediately after. Usually the first rock is thrown trying to hold the house, and then the next rock is a cover rock. The opposing team will try to move cover rocks to create a path for their rock to get to the centre of the house, or use the other team's cover rock to help their rock on a path towards the house.

The team mates with the brooms are there to alter the state of the ice in front of the rock. If they scrub and how they scrub is important to how fast or slow the rock moves, as well as what direction it continues to move in.

It's boring to watch if you don't enjoy strategy games, really.

I understand the game. It's like a drinking game. It's not an Olympic event.

Sorry, that was for the gent who asked for the scoring to be explained.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love hockey, but not just in the olympics.

A favorite of mine that I can't seem to turn away from is the Biathlon. I cross country ski as well, but don't think I would be able to shoot anywhere near a target when I can't catch my breath.

Bobsled, luge, and skeleton are also fun to watch. One little mistake could be a bad one.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like the objective sports, not the subjective. You go down the hill the fastest, you win. You score the most goals, you win. Alpine is my absolute favorite. But I have to cheer on the local boys on the curling team!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I love and will watch everything!

However, since I was a competitive figure skater growing up, still figure skate and just happen to have two guys who skate at the club where I skate who could be winning Olympic medals figure skating is my favourite. And thank you for those who have said that skating is tough. Skaters are always trying to defend their sport of choice. Yes we wear ridiculous make up, pretty little dresses dripping in sequins and rhinestones but I always tell people try sprinting flat out for 3 to 4 minutes while flailing your arms and smiling. Not to mention the fact there's no padding and ice is hard, the boards are hard and if you are doing ice dance or pairs I can tell you it really hurts when someone falls on say your head or you are dropped out of a lift.
  • SavageRabidBeast_version2
    Options
    Hockey

Die hard redwings fan. Love the sport.

<~~~~ Die hard Red Wings fan here too

Hockey by far, cuz it's the greatest sport in the world. Also like watching the downhill skiing, snowboarding, and speed skating!
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    skate and just happen to have two guys who skate at the club where I skate who could be winning Olympic medals figure skating

Who?? I'll look out for them (:
    Not to mention the fact there's no padding and ice is hard, the boards are hard and if you are doing ice dance or pairs I can tell you it really hurts when someone falls on say your head or you are dropped out of a lift.

And this. Yesterday a girl did a triple-something but her ankle buckled and she fell flat on her face. Then got up like nothing had happened. If that was me, I would probably just lay there until the medics came. :indifferent: