Seriously.

Options

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Those are not Alaska prices.

I wish I could buy a bag of frozen veg for 90 cents?
    Wait...can you do that anywhere in the lower 48?
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Although the point as made stands, i.e. it's cheaper to buy real, whole foods than to go to a fast food joint, your mileage will vary depending on season and location. Right now, in Seattle, in February, a pound of strawberries is about 5.99, I've never seen frozen veggies for less than 1.50/lb, and specialty type foods, like the meatless patties, would be closer to five bucks, and 96% lean ground beef is more like six bucks a pound. For 2.98/lb you can get the 80/20 beef. Everything else looks about right--I don't like cashews, so I have no idea what they cost here. Still, you are getting more bang for your buck at the grocery store. There's three to four days worth of dinners, and probably some leftover lunches for a little over 32 bucks vs. 21 and change for one meal's worth of food at the burger joint.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    So, now I really want a burger.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Those are not Alaska prices.

I wish I could buy a bag of frozen veg for 90 cents?
    Wait...can you do that anywhere in the lower 48?

yeah...you can.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see a date on that image.

I'm comparing prices with my grocery store down the street (they have a buy online+delivery option, though that doesn't affect base price).

The image says a pound of 96% lean ground beef is $2.98. I can't find it that lean locally, but 93% lean is 6.39/lb - more than twice as expensive.

The morningstar farms stuff is a dollar more expensive locally than in the image. The cheapest gallon of OJ I could find (from concentrate, store brand) was a dollar more expensive. A sixteen ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables is a buck fifty, not under a dollar. A pound of strawberries is four dollars, not two. A fourteen oz can of cashews (not 16 as in the img) is eight dollars, not 4.18, at the cheapest price I could find for them.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    do not assume your experience is the same as everyone else's
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that chart has been around for a very long time and needs some updating.

I also live in Western Washington, and all our produce is shipped in during the winter, so it's not cheap.

That said, I cook all my meals at home and can eat on about $5 a day. (That's 1600-1800 calories). You have to be willing to spend time on shopping, prep, cooking, and cleanup. I'm not buying organic. But if I ate two meals a day out, it would certainly be more than $5, unless I was willing to forego vegetables other than potatoes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see a date on that image.

I'm comparing prices with my grocery store down the street (they have a buy online+delivery option, though that doesn't affect base price).

The image says a pound of 96% lean ground beef is $2.98. I can't find it that lean locally, but 93% lean is 6.39/lb - more than twice as expensive.

The morningstar farms stuff is a dollar more expensive locally than in the image. The cheapest gallon of OJ I could find (from concentrate, store brand) was a dollar more expensive. A sixteen ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables is a buck fifty, not under a dollar. A pound of strawberries is four dollars, not two. A fourteen oz can of cashews (not 16 as in the img) is eight dollars, not 4.18, at the cheapest price I could find for them.

To be fair the price on the Burger King is out of date too. You're not getting a Whopper combo meal for $5 and change anymore. It's probably closer to $8.

So remove a couple burgers and fries from the above example as well. At least it's inaccurate in a balanced way...it's ALL out of date! :ohwell:

On Whopper Wednesday you can :flowerforyou:

Maybe that's just a Canadian thing.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    $1.67 for 1 lb strawberries?? Try $5.67 :( Everything on the healthy option is at least 2-3 or more times expensive .
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In college I had a budget of $20 for groceries for the week. I bought ramen noodles.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would like a Rodeo Burger, please.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    'tis true.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    vre_buy2.jpg

vre_buy3.jpg

Grocery prices from Wal-Mart and Meijer in Noblesville, Indiana, and Cincinnati, Ohio; fast food prices from the greater Indianapolis and Cincinnati areas, 2010

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Wow, prices in the states are considerably cheaper.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Considering I wouldn't eat half the healthy food, I'll stick with the take-out.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just wait until later this year, when dairy prices double :sad:
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Totally going to BK tonight :)
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Good lord, this again?? :noway: In my area, the "healthy" food would run me about $32.00. That's way more than what the picture says.

Now pass me a Big Mac :laugh:
  • DonaldChadDavis
    DonaldChadDavis Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    2lbs of chicken breast for 2 bucks? I live in Alabama (pretty cheap state) and Wal-Mart sells its chicken breast for 1.99/lb and that's with 15% chicken broth added...

For 20 bucks you can get 18 burgers from checkers, though.