Hey, Fat Girl.

Options
I just stumbled upon this in the interweb and couldn't help but sharing. Apparently it's been posted to MFP before but this is so beautiful and inspiring that I couldn't help but share.

I found it here: http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :flowerforyou:

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.

Replies

• Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button on MFP forum.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I came in this thread ready to sit on you :sick:

I leave it with a smile on my face. You got lucky this time, punk. :drinker:
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    i love this ... thankyou for posting.. since i feel like that fat girl =)
  • hhansen27
    hhansen27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!!!!
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i love this ... thankyou for posting.. since i feel like that fat girl =)

I think we all do! :flowerforyou:
  • vt78che
    vt78che Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome article. And so very true! Thank you for sharing it.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

This part....very cool.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Love this. Than you so much for posting.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you aren't confident enough to look up yet, I have discovered an alternative that really helps: hang out with someone more outrageous than you!

On weekends, my husband and I like to go biking together. Since he is mumble mumble pounds lighter and cough cough years younger, he takes the row bike (https://www.rowbike.com/), while I take my three speed cruiser. It slows him up a bit while still letting him get in a good work out.

If you clicked on the link, you saw that this thing is unique. We have found that on paths, I have to stay in front, because people turn around to stare at him and end up in front of me! Sure, I have seen a few people look at me and even heard a very few comments (and one of was being impressed by how fast I was going), but his row bike is the epitome of what the vast majority of people are going to actually notice. We tend to get so caught up with the judgmental people around us, we forget that most people have their eyes open for the awesome, new things around them.
  • saracantthink
    saracantthink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Very sweet post.
  • NereyaRanVihn
    NereyaRanVihn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love this! I'm not fat, never have been, but I always feel so impressed by those "fat girls" (or guys) that I see in the gym or on the running track. I do admire them. They are true fighters!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine only ran under cover of darkness in the beginning (which can be as late as 10pm in the summertime). I didn't really understand why she felt shame in running. Anyway, she stayed with it and regained her health and her swagger.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This made me proud I ran today even though I really didn't feel like it.
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That made me cry. Thank you. I am totally that girl. No eye contact, because I worry that I don't belong.
  • kareit
    kareit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Got a little misty-eyed reading this. THANK YOU for sharing!
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I love it, thank you for sharing:smile: x
  • SiggeBjork
    SiggeBjork Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post. I love this. In fact, I think I am going to print it out and keep to read everytime I feel embarrassed or ashamed. I know that I admire ALL runners. I look at them with admiration and envy, wishing it was me. I'm on day 3, week 1 in the C25K challenge so soon it will be me :)
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have read this before and I love it! Its definetly worth reading it once more....Thanks for posting!