Great.. The damn PLATEAU !!

Options
2»

Replies

• JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If that's an updated photo for your avatar then I'm not sure why you aren't at maintenance already. You look great!! Instead of cardio, just keep pumping that iron. The fat will fad away in time as long as you don't start overeating.

For cardio, I think you'll burn plenty caring for those twins. ;)

Yes that is the most recent pic I have, should do new ones, From what I am reading maybe I am wrong at suggesting I am at a Plateau, Maybe because I never heard of a "maintenance" I'll have to look into this more.
    Thanks
  • JayDavila
    Options
    And no- you didn't gain muscle- you gained strength. Muscle gain- only happens at a surplus.

WRONG. OH SO WRONG

oh??? please explain...

because I am sure he is not experiencing noob gains nor was he obese.

Im in for an explanation too because I have no clue about this whole surplus, maintenance lingo LOL I just want to find out what I'm doing wrong LOL LOL sorry if it sounds like I am being difficult. I'm noob to all this as I learn more from you guys and the site.
  • jko90s
    jko90s Posts: 25
    Options
    I assumed he was at maintenance calories, and at maintenance calories it is possible to put on muscle. Not the way I prefer to put on muscle but its true

Also you have to remember everyone has different body types. Some people for example are insulin resistant and find it harder to lose fat. Some people find it harder to put on muscle. Genetics plays a factor in this.

What I'm trying to say is everyone is different and you shouldn't put a blanket over everyone and say they all respond the same

Edit: Since the OP doesn't know what his maintenance calorie intake is, the problem most likely lies there...if he is trying to put on muscle that is
  • jko90s
    Options
    Maintenance = Calorie intake to maintain your body mass (fat, muscle etc)
    Deficit = Eating under your maintenance either from too much activity (lifestyle gym etc) or eating under maintenance calorie
    Surplus = Eating over your maintenance

When at a deficit we lose weight, surplus we gain weight. This weight will be a mixture of fat and muscle depending on your lifestyle and diet

At a deficit we try to lose mainly fat, at a surplus we try to gain mainly muscle
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm 5"11 and hover around 170 at maintenance. If you are anywhere near my height, then maybe you are close to where you need to be?

Another way of putting that, is where did your goal of 155 come from?

Regardless - if you want visible abs, that is primarily a matter of body fat %. Do you know what you % bf is right now?

Have you looked into High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for your cardio? You can get big burns in a short time.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I assumed he was at maintenance calories, and at maintenance calories it is possible to put on muscle. Not the way I prefer to put on muscle but its true

Also you have to remember everyone has different body types. Some people for example are insulin resistant and find it harder to lose fat. Some people find it harder to put on muscle. Genetics plays a factor in this.

What I'm trying to say is everyone is different and you shouldn't put a blanket over everyone and say they all respond the same

Edit: Since the OP doesn't know what his maintenance calorie intake is, the problem most likely lies there...if he is trying to put on muscle that is

to gain muscle at maintenance are noob gains, very very amazing genetics, drugs or obese.

And this is very very very hard to do...so we can say with 99% accuracy that you can't put muscle on at maintenance...esp in this case.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    How about just trying a re-feed weekend?

Re-feed weekend?? New to that, can you explain

Re-feeding is bringing your caloric consumption back up to maintenance or slightly above maintenance usually for 2-3 days. When you are on a deficit you are effectively really fudging with your hormones. One of the important hormones when it comes to weight lose (specifically fat metabolize) is called leptin. I won't go into a whole explanation of what leptin is because you are a big boy and have google as your friend but in terms of re-feeds, it is an effective way of getting your leptin level to raise again during long periods of diet. During the process you may gain a tiny bit of weight but it will slide off really quick and you will be able to break through your plateau on the way back down.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

to gain muscle at maintenance are noob gains, very very amazing genetics, drugs or obese.

And this is very very very hard to do...so we can say with 99% accuracy that you can't put muscle on at maintenance...esp in this case.

most people aren't even putting on muscle- they are using what they have and creating a more dense object- strength gains.

it's rarely significant size. newb gainz are newb gainz- more directly related to strenght unless said person is eating all the things whilst lifting all the things.

Size doesn't develop unless there is food to drive it.
  • jko90s
    Options

You don't know 99% of people though?

There have been studies shown and I know people personally that do this that are none of the above.

What the hell I'll quote a study for you: data from this study suggest that athletes who want to gain LeanBodyMass and increase 1RepMax strength during a WeightLoss period combined with strength training should aim for a weekly BodyWeight loss of 0.7%
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

As i said, me personally I prefer to bulk. But 99% cant put on muscle at maintenance. Bull****. The body has to adapt. You think if i'm benching 315 and squatting 405 at maintenance I wont look like it?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You don't know 99% of people though?

There have been studies shown and I know people personally that do this that are none of the above.

What the hell I'll quote a study for you: data from this study suggest that athletes who want to gain LeanBodyMass and increase 1RepMax strength during a WeightLoss period combined with strength training should aim for a weekly BodyWeight loss of 0.7%
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21558571

As i said, me personally I prefer to bulk. But 99% cant put on muscle at maintenance. Bull****. The body has to adapt. You think if i'm benching 315 and squatting 405 at maintenance I wont look like it?

apparently reading comprehension is > you

strength gains /=/ size gains.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    Refeed
  • jko90s
    Options

apparently reading comprehension is > you

strength gains /=/ size gains.

Lol. Okay sure yeah anyway I've said what I wanted to say.
  • StephanieBertels
    Options
    How are you getting enough sleep if you're going to bed at 10:30-11 pm and getting up at 5 am? Surely that has to be at least part of the problem!
  • JayDavila
    Options
    How are you getting enough sleep if you're going to bed at 10:30-11 pm and getting up at 5 am? Surely that has to be at least part of the problem!

I dont doubt that. Specially being that I wake up several times a night as well.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Ok I have a few minutes before i leave to the gym. Let me see if I understand this so far. I have misunderstood my situation and confused it with being at my maintenance period. I have 2 options at this point.
    Decrease my caloric intake or Increase it and workout harder?
    Sorry if ive missed responses I haven't been able to get to a PC to properly read up all the responses.

I will get back and read up and do some research online as soon as I can.
    Thanks everyone.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    I don't believe in plateaus. I think they are total BS perpetuated by the media. Lower your intake, or move more, or some combo of both. Congrats though, you've found your maintenance level for where you are now, and what you do now.

PLATEAU or Maintenance whatever it is, are there more benefits of choosing lets say intake without having draw backs of muscle gain/breakdown? (If that makes sense, hard to explain what I mean)

I'm leaning towards intake, specially when I can be doing better in that area anyway.
    Thank you.

Thank you

Are you asking about a recomp?

That's what I'm doing right now. I don't want to cut, but I don't want to gain. So, I'm eating at maintenance, and retaining a little ft, and working my *kitten* off in the gym to burn fat, and fill that fat space with muscle. That's not the exact process, but that's how I think about it.
  • JayDavila
    Options
    Maintenance = Calorie intake to maintain your body mass (fat, muscle etc)
    Deficit = Eating under your maintenance either from too much activity (lifestyle gym etc) or eating under maintenance calorie
    Surplus = Eating over your maintenance

When at a deficit we lose weight, surplus we gain weight. This weight will be a mixture of fat and muscle depending on your lifestyle and diet

At a deficit we try to lose mainly fat, at a surplus we try to gain mainly muscle

Thanks again for the explanation
  • cousa87
    cousa87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I've been on This diet plan a month soon. The First week i Lost about 7 lbs, after that - Nothing!!! I'm just about To give up ( i wont though :)...
    im eating 1200 calories, have cheated 3 times. And i exercise a couple Times a week.

sooooo frustrating!!!