But I don't want to eat another 800 calories.. :/

Options

Replies

• gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    come hang out with me for a few days. I"ll help you get those calorie goals in no time ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If your looking at bulking up....sugary foods are not what your looking for! Try eating protein foods and veggies before bed

care to explain why?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Now its bed time and the only thing I can think is that I don't want to eat another 800 calories... :/

Dr. Ben and Dr. Jerry will cure these feels.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Now its bed time and the only thing I can think is that I don't want to eat another 800 calories... :/

Dr. Ben and Dr. Jerry will cure these feels.

heh.

Dr Eddy and Dr Friendly are good too.

I often visit Turkey Hill before bed- it's like being beside a lake... cool calm and refreshing!
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you live in the UK, a chat with Aunt Bessie and Mr Kipling can be very therapeutic ;-)
  • reggie7727
    reggie7727 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Trail mix will do the trick very easily. Try Target's carmel ball trail mix. To die for!
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I actually had 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer the night I started this post.. as well as trail mix, weight gainer, etc. Finding 3500 calories isn't usually the issue.. having the dedication to shovel them all into your mouth when you are mentally full is the issue. Fortunately, today, I've only got 1100 left, and plenty of motivation (and an empty-feeling stomach) to reach my goal :) Hmm.. I think I'll go make some progress now actually :)
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    seems like a bad idea to eat such simple processed foods. I mean the chemicals and sugars have to do a number on your organs and insulin levels. Do you have a Nutria bullet or something? Organic fruit and protein powder and some nuts blended up seems like it would be a great way to drink the calories. Nuts are such an easy way to log in lots of calories when you don't pay attention to how much you are eating. I have to count out 14 almonds which is well over 100 calories. Anyhow, first to admit, I know nothing about this. I just can't believe if you want to see your body do amazing things, feeding it processed food is the way to do it. Good luck! I hope an answer finds you soon.
  • terizius
    Options
    Rdlm, Not sure if your comment is directed at me specifically, but my eating as actually quite good.. which is one reason I've always struggled to gain weight. I tend to eat really healthy most of the time. Well.. I eat quite healthy even now, which is why 3500 calories is so difficult sometimes :P
  • Rdlm1001
    Options
    Well, I guess I was just concerned at what people were telling you to eat! Glad to hear you eat well!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I was just concerned at what people were telling you to eat! Glad to hear you eat well!

It's good of you to be concerned for a fellow member and what people are telling him!

If taken to an excess, unclean "food" is bad! I read about this guy who essentially ate no solid food for many years, and ate 2000 calories worth of added sugar a day in his 25 cups of tea and only 400 calories of actual food. Needless to say, despite the number of calories, his lack of macros and micros resulted in a bodyweight like 90 lbs or something. It was on a British TV show or something.

So, apparently a calorie is not really "just" a calorie after all. ;-)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    seems like a bad idea to eat such simple processed foods. I mean the chemicals and sugars have to do a number on your organs and insulin levels. Do you have a Nutria bullet or something? Organic fruit and protein powder and some nuts blended up seems like it would be a great way to drink the calories. Nuts are such an easy way to log in lots of calories when you don't pay attention to how much you are eating. I have to count out 14 almonds which is well over 100 calories. Anyhow, first to admit, I know nothing about this. I just can't believe if you want to see your body do amazing things, feeding it processed food is the way to do it. Good luck! I hope an answer finds you soon.

He can actually eat whatever he wants as long as he meets his macros, which on such a high calorie bulk should't be an issue. Processed foods are fine in moderation. So is sugar.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    seems like a bad idea to eat such simple processed foods.

Yeah, heaven forbid he gains weight. That is afterall, the point of what he's trying to accomplish.
    I mean the chemicals and sugars have to do a number on your organs and insulin levels.

This is just utter nonsense. Do a number on your organs? Are you for real?

Insulin levels....that IS THE POINT. Spiking insulin is how you get nutrients into your muscles, it is how you grow. Insulin is one of the substances pro bodybuilders take along with 'roids and HGH. Insulin, not testosterone, is the most anabolic hormone, the one that most leads to growth.

If your goal is growing muscles, insulin is your friend. Big huge carb jolts and sugar spikes are a GOOD thing.

If you are trying to keep your carb levels low when bulking, you are quite simply foolish, spend too much time listening to people who claim to know about food and nutrition yet know nothing about muscle building and how the body works, and you are going to gain fat with your surplus and little else.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Yeah, heaven forbid he gains weight. That is afterall, the point of what he's trying to accomplish.
    I mean the chemicals and sugars have to do a number on your organs and insulin levels.

Insulin levels....that IS THE POINT. Spiking insulin is how you get nutrients into your muscles, it is how you grow. Insulin is one of the substances pro bodybuilders take along with 'roids and HGH. Insulin, not testosterone, is the most anabolic hormone, the one that most leads to growth.

If your goal is growing muscles, insulin is your friend. Big huge carb jolts and sugar spikes are a GOOD thing.

If you are trying to keep your carb levels low when bulking, you are quite simply foolish, spend too much time listening to people who claim to know about food and nutrition yet know nothing about muscle building and how the body works, and you are going to gain fat with your surplus and little else.

I don't understand why all of these fad diets that have people eating super low calories along with very high micros try to keep insulin levels so low. After taking a graduate-level endocrinology course recently, and having it pounded into my head that insulin is anabolic, those diets make absolutely no sense, especially when "they" (the diet creators/proponents) say that gaining muscle is a good thing. Ok, well, how are you supposed to do that if your insulin level is low, IGF-1 is therefore low, and calories are below maintenance? I'm talking about a specific fad diet created by a practicing physician, and I don't want to name it by name. I just call it the "shrink but be healthy diet". It's aimed at diabetics and people who want to prevent diabetes.

I also wonder if a diabetic can safely bulk. Increasing muscle mass could improve type II diabetes in theory, as can the weight lifting itself. But how is a diabetic supposed to gain weight if weight gain/surplus is bad for them?

Sometimes I think the American Heart Association would have a heart attack due to just the sheer volume of food I eat. Everyone is saying "Eat less, keep your weight low and be skinny. It causes health problems if you eat more. It ages you faster." (I don't believe all that!)
  • Rdlm1001
    Options

Um I didn't pretend to be any expert. I was simply perusing through trying to deal with my own food stuff which is quite different from this. I was a reading, learning and put in my 2 cents about trying more healthy alternatives. I personally don't trust the food manufactures and yes, I believe large amounts of Ben and Jerry is probably not good for your organs. Liver, intestines, ect. You don't have to be a d%#k. Everything I wrote was in support. So if I everything I said was wrong and stupid. Fine, but you could have just taken it as someone reaching out to be supportive.
  • terizius
    Options
    For the record, I did finish off my caloric goals tonight with Ben and Jerry's (New York Super Fudge Chunk). I also want to go on record and say I didn't have a large amount.. just 1/3 a pint :)
  • wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For the record, I did finish off my caloric goals tonight with Ben and Jerry's (New York Super Fudge Chunk). I also want to go on record and say I didn't have a large amount.. just 1/3 a pint :)

I'm told an apple fritter will take care of an 800 calorie surplus in about four bites.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Please explain!

I am currently trying to bulk while still wanting to burn off some stubborn muffin-top and work out for an hour or so lifting weights for 6 days/week and running for an hour or so most days when I can. I try to keep my carb levels below 50g but usually end up with carb levels at 90-100g.

Does this mean I need to increase my carbs to gain lean muscle? In the past carbs have made me put on fat in all the wrong places. Obviously I need to research this some more.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Please explain!

I am currently trying to bulk while still wanting to burn off some stubborn muffin-top and work out for an hour or so lifting weights for 6 days/week and running for an hour or so most days when I can. I try to keep my carb levels below 50g but usually end up with carb levels at 90-100g.

Does this mean I need to increase my carbs to gain lean muscle? In the past carbs have made me put on fat in all the wrong places. Obviously I need to research this some more.

Carbs do not make you fat. Eating too many calories is what makes you fat.

You are going to have a very hard time losing and gaining weight at the same time. Doesnt makes sense does it?

To bulk means to gain weight. With resistance training, proper nutrition and a moderate calorie surplus you can try to gain a higher percentage of muscle in that weight gain but some will still be fat.

To lose weight you need to be in a calories deficit. A moderate calorie deficit, proper nutrition and resistance training will help retain your muscle while you burn off mostly fat.

The third option is to try to do both at the same time. Where you eat as close to maintenance calories as you can, get proper nutrition along with resistance training. Also called body recomposition or recomp for short. Very slow process because you spend very little time at the state to do either effectively. I am talking about months of work to shift a little weight one way or the other. Females might have an even tougher time with a recomp because they are already slower to gain muscle but just as fast to gain fat as males.

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Um I didn't pretend to be any expert. I was simply perusing through trying to deal with my own food stuff which is quite different from this. I was a reading, learning and put in my 2 cents about trying more healthy alternatives. I personally don't trust the food manufactures and yes, I believe large amounts of Ben and Jerry is probably not good for your organs. Liver, intestines, ect. You don't have to be a d%#k. Everything I wrote was in support. So if I everything I said was wrong and stupid. Fine, but you could have just taken it as someone reaching out to be supportive.

Being supportive is great. The problem comes from fear mongering about "chemicals" "insulin" and "sugar".

You have to identify what these bad chemicals are and in what quantities they then become dangerous.

Sugar is found in almost everything and is completely safe for normal healthy humans. You suggest staying away from it then suggest eating fruit which has a lot of sugar. You should probably have the same amount of distrust for the people demonizing sugar, or carbs in general, as you do for those distrustful manufacturers.

Insulin is a natural hormone our bodies create in response to eating food not just carbs. Protein also creates a large insulin response but people have been misinformed about insulin and its effects on health and body weight.

"Large amounts of Ben and Jerry's", or anything else, could eventually be bad for you but the key words there are LARGE amounts. Eating a bowl everyday to meet calorie needs, after nutrient needs have been met with the rest of his diet, will not have any negative effects on his health or his organs.