chick pea recipes?

Options
simple easy everyday ingredients like ready made sauce and things but i just basically have no clue what even goes with chick peas all i know it the good nutrition they have so i need help with how to use them

p.s do baked beans count as one of my five a day even if i doesn't say it on the tin?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in some ideas too.

I usually just throw them in my salads with my main protein source (usually chicken) and other salady stuff ;)
  • newhousekatie0
    newhousekatie0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you can make hummus from it will need a few additional ingredients but ton of recipes out there
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Yes, hummus is great and I don't even like chic peas. Great on sandwiches or wraps instead of mayo. You can use canned chic peas no sodium added, drain,smash them up real well, add roasted garlic, minced onion and pepper.
  • brluvmusic
    brluvmusic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE chickpeas. These are actually pretty good. My husband ate them and liked them... I just didn't tell him what was in them until after, haha.

http://www.eatgood4life.com/gluten-free-dark-chocolate-and-peanut/
  • 0505amos
    0505amos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas can be dried and eaten like nuts. I drain the large can of rinse. Add 1Tablespoon on oil (flavoured is great!). Sprinkle with seasonings ie garlic, cumin, seasoning salt, currie. Whatever floats your boat. Then put in a pan so they are one level, cook at 300 degrees for an hour. Leave in oven til they cool and voila....healthier version of cruchie...love them.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Roasted chick pea
    Cooked chick peas - canned or cooked from dry - drained
    Olive oil - TBSP or so - can use and infused one or just plain

Spread on cookie sheet - single layer, sprinkle with any spice(s) you like
    Bake in a 250° oven till desired crunchy, crispy texture.

ADDED: Looks like 0505amos &I had the same thought!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hummus

Falafels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p_h3s1CPoc

Indian food with chickpeas like chana masala

These are the things I make all the time & they're delicious.
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You can use them in stir fry instead of meat (or in addition to meat).
  • ausheli
    ausheli Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Plenty of Recipies around for chickpea curry as well
  • Malaylah
    Options
    I like curry chickpeas with potatoes
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I make a 5 bean salad, chick peas being one of the beans. Just open 5 cans of beans (different kinds - chick peas cannelli, black beans, white beans etc...) , chop up a couple tomatoes, one onion, a bushel of parsley, dried mint (the mint was hard for me to find at the store but it creates an excellent flavor) and pour 1 cup of lemon juice and drizzle a small amount of balsamic vinegar for flavor. Salt and pepper to taste, and that's an amazing salad that will last all week!
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love cooking with beans of all kinds! One of my all-time favorite recipes comes from 'Vegan Italiano' by Donna Klein (and I'm not even a Vegan)... Tuscan Beans with Tomatoes and Sage.

Makes 3-4 main-dish servings or 6-8 side-dish/appetizer servings.

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 (15-oz) cans cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained (I use garbanzo beans, aka chick peas)
    1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
    1 (14-oz) can stewed tomatoes, chopped, juices included
    4 fresh sage leaves
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes and their juices, sage, salt, and pepper; bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.

From my experience, I prefer to let them cook about 45-60 minutes, so the beans get softer. Also, be sure to get low-sodium or 'no salt added' for anything that gives you a lower sodium option... beans, broth, tomatoes.
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I higly recommend this recipe for chick pea curry: http://thelittlegreenhouse.net/2013/07/10/recipe-quick-and-simple-chickpea-curry.

Sooo good! and I think it was only about 300 calories and very filling :)
  • Dustyzmom
    Dustyzmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Roasted in oven for a crunchy snack

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-chickpeas/
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later! All looks fab, will definitely try some of these!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I make chickpea hamburgers. Soak chickpeas overnight with a little baking soda. Throw out water, rinse and add clean water. Cook until soft. In a food processor add drained chickpeas, raw onion, a little garlic, 2 or 3 eggs(depending on how many chickpeas you used) mustard, salt, pepper, and any spices you like. Process and then add 1 cup grated cheese and bread crumbs until mixture is thick enough to make patties. On the stove heat up a grill and add oil. With a big spoon form patties and flip using 2 spatulas. Keep enough oil so they don't stick. Cool patties and can freeze for a quick microwave meal. These are very filling.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/pindi-chole.aspx

Feel free to leave out on the tea leaves bit...it just only provide the color. Also, change spices and quantity according to requirement. Though this dish is often eaten with breads like naan and roti, we often have it without the bread to lower the calories

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Meginkg
    Meginkg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make a kind of chickpea stew with mine which is very open to interpretation/the ingredients you have in the cupboard or fridge! I usually chop a couple of onions and start frying them with some garlic puree whilst draining the chickpeas and rinsing them. Then add the chickpeas to the translucent onions and heat a little, before adding a carton of chopped tomato. Sometimes I also add a drained can of kidney beans or whatever I have around... Luckily I'm in a student house so we have an amazing spice rack so I end up adding mild curry powder, tumeric, paprika, pepper... and then I just bring it to the boil and then simmer whilst I spend time doing other things around the kitchen/house.

Another idea is to add raw chunks of chicken thigh (skinless and boneless is usually the easiest and not too expensive!) in after the onions have semi-cooked and then lightly brown those before adding everything else and then fully cooking the chicken in the sauce. Lots of protein, and quite low carb! Although there's always the option of mixing in some brown rice. If I have spare veggies like peppers or spinach lying around I chuck those in, too... really easy dish to make in one pan!
  • julietlimanovember
    Options
    Chick pea pancake
    1.5 cups chick pea flour (besan) whisked with 1 cup water, in a large bowl - leave batter aside for 15 minutes.
    Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium heat, cook one sliced leek, 2 finely sliced cloves garlic until just coloured.
    Add 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, 0.5 tsp chili flakes, 0.5 tsp sweet paprika, 1 tsp ground coriander, cook 2 -3 mins.
    Set aside to cool a ilttle.
    Mash half a can (120g) chickpeas roughly with a fork ( or wizz in blender/processor - keep it a bit chunky).
    Add chickpeas and leek mixture to batter and combine thoroughly.

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan over medium heat. Pour in enough batter to evenly coat the pan. Cook for about 2 mins, then turn and cook on other side. Repeat with remaining batter. (I use a largish cast iron fry pan, and divide batter in half to make 2 pancakes)
    Slice into wedges to serve.

This is a dryish kind of pancake, but very tasty. I usually serve it with tzatziki, or just some finely sliced spring onions stirred through plain youghurt. Or a good slosh of sweet chilli sauce, if you're that way inclined.
    No leek? Just regular sliced onion works, or chopped spring onions. Smoky paprika and ground cumin are good subs for sweet paprika+ground coriander, or even no spices at all, if you prefer things a little plainer. Pretty much any herb will work too, or none at all if you please. Make your own favourite herb/spice combo - chili or not!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    An Italian staple for fridays is pasta and chickpeas--pasta e cecci. Cook chickpeas until soft. Cook a short pasta--mezza penne or any smaller pasta--according to the package directions. If you're in America use hard durum grain pasta and don't overcook. When you've got your pasta "al dente" drain and add chickpeas plus a little liquid, salt, pepper and a little extra virgin olive oil. Simple but good. Sometimes I eliminate the pasta and just have the chickpeas.