low carb / high fat diet success anyone ?

Replies

• Yes but balanced according to who? So many theories out there these days and I'm rethinking what the so called experts tell us we should be doing. I think the important thing is to make informed decisions and use self experimentation. If it works keep at it and if not try something else. I had been following 4HB to the letter and remained in a plateaus for about 6 weeks despite feeling better energy wise. I started calorie counting and Intermittent fasting after a cheat day then after my Christmas hiatus and a couple of kilos extra I added bullet proof coffee and a daily fast (16-8 hours, 6 hour eating window). I feel great! My leanest and lowest BF% and my stretched multiple baby belly is shrinking and my butt is starting to defy gravity :))
    Seems to be more women advocating BPC. MCT is a great hormone balancer.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Nothing like trying to squat and deadlift on a low carb diet. Quite the experience.
  • Balanced diet always better . CARBS + FAT + PROTEIN the way it should be all year round.
    Yes but balanced according to who?
    Sorry for the double reply. I will get used to posting on these boards one day!
  • Nothing like trying to squat and deadlift on a low carb diet. Quite the experience.

Have you tried MCT oil? Heard it improves strength and recovery when weight lifting.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Is bulletproof coffee nice? Never like the thought of putting butter in coffee

Wut?! Coffee is bad enough without putting butter in it! :sick:
  • mistydthomp
    mistydthomp Posts: 6 Member
    I have been sticking to under 30 carbs daily (not including dietary fiber). Have lost 10# since Jan. 1st. Still trying to stick in the 1200 calorie range since I'm under 5 foot.
  • shaqueen15
    shaqueen15 Posts: 3 Member
    I recently started to carb cycle, what are things that you guys eat on low carb meal plans?
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Bump
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Bump
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    I got great results from a very lchf (keto) diet. I was satiated all the time, good skin, high energy, effortless fat loss. In the end I weaned myself off of it because I got bored of the food choices and not being to dine out. I would recommend giving it a try and really sticking with it for a couple weeks at least, you will feel fantastic.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    I'm down 15lbs and the husband is down 25lbs since Jan 1. I love LCHF. I'll probably never go back to the "recommended" full carb amount. I expect to probably stay LC forever. I love the feeling of LCHF. I'm so much more alert. So much more energy! The clear skin and better sleep totally helps too.

Best thng, don't even miss that sugary stuff!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    So what amount of carbs would be considered to be "low carb"?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    So what amount of carbs would be considered to be "low carb"?

Less than 130 grams perhaps, as that is below a suggested amount used by the brain. Or less than 100. Less than 50 is probably best called "ketogenic" although that number could be as low as 20 for an individual.

Maybe less than 30% of calories.

Very subjective, in other words.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    i've been eating low carb, high fat for 13 months now. i usually aim for under 30g carbs in a day, and try and get over 70% of my energy from fat. best thing ever, i cant even imagine eating differently now. i feel great and i've lost a heeeeap of weight too :)
  • I have also tried low Carb, high protein and moderate fat in my diet plan. iIt works for me to get fit.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Nothing like trying to squat and deadlift on a low carb diet. Quite the experience.
    If you're doing 5 reps or less there is no difference. Although if you're attempting to do widow makers, good luck on low carb
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Bulletproof coffee is great. Sometimes I add cinnamon or unsweetened quality cocoa...or both! It is such an easy great breakfast!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    I've been following Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Diet. My husband lost 45 pounds about 1 1/2 years ago and has kept it off. I'm down 10 pounds in 1 1/2 weeks which has been pretty easy to follow. My hardest part is flavored creamer in my morning coffee has been replaced with half and half. I say do whatever works for you :-)

Ditto, Sissons work is awsome. Lost 35-40lbs- no counting or weighing. Im not sure exactly how much I lost because I quit weighing myself when I was heavy. Also, I had a weakness for french vanilla coffee creamer before. Love it black now- most things are too sweet for my taste these days.
  • helendennis
    helendennis Posts: 1 Member
    I've been following a low carb diet for 3 months now and I've lost around 9kg!

After the first tough couple of weeks the plan got much easier to follow and very rarely find myself craving carbs any more :smile:

I do miss chocolate though!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    I've been keto-ing since July. I'm down 30 lbs! If that's not success, then I don't know what is.