Help with a healthy pizza?

Replies

• CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    http://www.emilybites.com/2011/01/deep-dish-pizza-casserole.html I made this deep dish pizza "casserole" for the super bowl and it was a huge hit. I will make again for sure. I subed the ground beef for 12 oz. cooked turkey sausage for a more traditional pizza feel. The comment from others who weren't watching their calories was "It's really good because It's so meaty!". I found it satisfying. Have a slice with a salad or steamed veg. to fill you up.
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Making your own pizza dough really helps you to control your calories and what goes into it. Aside from that, measure all of your ingredients. We always do olive oil garlic, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and feta. It is really good.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Use whole wheat english muffins. Put sauce, skim milk mozzerella, and what ever veggies/meat/fruit you want on it(I like ham, pineapple, tomato, bell pepper and jalepeno on mine). You can cook them in the toaster oven or regular oven.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I've never made my own pizza before and I've been craving pizza like crazy since I've started my diet. I'd really like to custome make a healthy pizza for myself, but I don't really know where to start.

I'm looking for a "yum" factor for as few calories as possible. I know I like chicken and spinach. I've heard that goat cheese is pretty good for you, but are there better/healthier alternatives? And what to season with? I've never really cooked for myself until I started this diet. And I am at a complete loss for the cheese and I don't think a sauce would be necessary...

,,,any suggestions?
    I use several store-bought crusts. The best I've found for lower calories is golden home ultra thin crust. (You can also use a tortilla if you're fine with a smaller and thinner crust.) For sauce I use ragu pizza quick sauce, and then top with mozzarella and whatever it is you like for toppings.

I do mine in a toaster oven. I first put the crust by itself in there for about 4 minutes at anywhere from 350-425, not so much it actually starts browning but enough to start getting dry/crispy. Then take it out, add everything, throw it back in until the cheese is done to your preference.

(An entire 12" with 6 oz of cheese is about 900 calories.)
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Toast Arnold Sandwich thins and then then top with a little sauce, skim mozzarella & any veggies or turkey sausage and bake til cheese melted for a QUICK and satisfying pizza craving!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Simple and delish:

Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy Pizza Crust
    1 Can Hunts diced tomatoes (drain excess juice/sauce)
    mini mozzarella balls
    Parsley or Basil, oregano, garlic, pepper, salt to taste
    (optional sundried tomato)
    I have also added homemade sliced turkey meatballs

Mix the can tomato with all the spices and spread on pizza crust, sort of mashing it into the crust (the tomatoes are chunky)
    Dot with cheese balls and (optional) sundried tomatoes and/or turkey meatballs.
    Bake 375 for 15-20 minutes... Yum!

• This.

It's pretty good and then you can spend your calories on toppings that also get you protein.

For cheese you might want a grated hard cheese like romano or parmesean - you'll get lots of flaor without lots of calories and fat. They also pair well with chicken and leafy greens.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    why don't you just make a normal whole wheat pizza with normal cheese and toppings and eat in moderation ...??
    i make pizza every now and then and enjoy it ... normal food ... but i don't eat as much ... and if i did i just move more or something

Because dieting has to be painful and heart breaking. Didn't you get the memo?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I really like the Flat Out Wraps for making pizza. They are very tasty and only 90 cals (with 9g of protein). They crisp up pretty well too.

Add sauce, chicken, spinach, etc. I'm sure you could make an awesome pizza for ~400 cals.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    All the ideas above are awesome and this overlaps some, but thought I'd add to the list.

Since you said you like thin crust, chicken, spinach, no sauce...

Whole wheat pita, Mission or Tumaros...or some brand... of low carb/low calorie tortilla/wraps.
    If you want it crispy, toast in toaster oven or regular oven without a pan for a few minutes or so, just to get a light toasting...
    Add mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta, asiago....actually any cheese yo like (mozzarella is most often used). If you have olive oil, spread a little on the crust before putting your cheese(s) on. It just adds more flavor and some healthy fat.
    Add your cooked chicken and/or cooked spinach.
    Toast again til cheese is melted.

Add garlic, salt, pepper, oregano....whatever herbs/seasonings you like or have. Super quick and easy! Yummy, too and usually might have the ingredients you need at home already.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    why don't you just make a normal whole wheat pizza with normal cheese and toppings and eat in moderation ...??
    i make pizza every now and then and enjoy it ... normal food ... but i don't eat as much ... and if i did i just move more or something

I vote for this!

Making your own crust allows you to control what is in it.

Fleischmann's makes a pizza crust yeast ....1 step ....easy.

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

I use regular sauce (yes, high in sodium) but low cal

2% Mozzarella

Turkey pepperoni which tastes great; but because the texture is stiff, I cut the slices into quarters.....then add lots of veggies.

Invest in a pizza stone if you don't already have one...makes (even a low fat crust) nice & crispy

When I crave pizza .....sauce on a tortilla or english muffin is not gonna cut it (IMO).
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Don't eat pizza. Done.
    For the rest of your life.

Some goals are not worth accomplishing.
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    We are pizzaholics in my house, so I've got a few suggestions:

-Aldi flatbreads make a great crust if you like it crispy. We made some for New Years Eve and cut up to share but you could easily make a pizza under 300 calories with them. The flatbread is either 90 or 100 calories, depending on which type you get, then measuring everything else out will help keep calories under control. You can't really load up with toppings too much though since the crust will be thinner.
    -Flour tortillas - we've done tortilla pizzas on the grill before and they also get nice and crisp
    -Pita bread makes for a good crust too if you like yours a bit thicker.

Mushrooms are a great meaty tasting topping without the grease that comes with pepperoni or sausage.

I've also made pizza salads before where I throw in typical pizza fixins in a big bowl of lettuce and spinach and get my fix that way
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    http://www.emilybites.com/2011/01/deep-dish-pizza-casserole.html I made this deep dish pizza "casserole" for the super bowl and it was a huge hit. I will make again for sure. I subed the ground beef for 12 oz. cooked turkey sausage for a more traditional pizza feel. The comment from others who weren't watching their calories was "It's really good because It's so meaty!". I found it satisfying. Have a slice with a salad or steamed veg. to fill you up.
    Thanks for the share.
    mindblown.gif
    I'm going to try this with some italian sausage, spicy pepperoni, and bacon.
  • ameliarose31
    ameliarose31 Posts: 6 Member
    Look for low-cal pitas, I like Flat-Out's Light Italian Herb flatbread for 90 calories.
    Tomatoes are super low cal and good for you, so any pizza sauce or just cutting tomatoes for a margherita pizza.
    Reduced fat/2%milk mozz cheese.

Add anything else you want (veggies, meat, bbq, etc)

Throw in the oven or on the grill for a few minutes.

When I make the flatbread with generic pizza sauce and 2 cups reduced fat mozz, its only 240.

I'm a sucker for pizza and if i just cut it out like some people suggested, then i gorge on it whenever i can't resist at a friends house or something. My hubby loves pizza and says these are a decent alternative for when I ban take out pizza from the house :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Papa Johns Spinach Alfredo Thin Crust. 220 cals a slice for large size. Real Pizza Real Good. I always add grilled chicken to it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Flat Out, 1/4c low fat alfredo sauce, 2oz diced chicken breast, 1/4serv spinach, mushrooms, salt and pepper for under 300cal.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Bumping for all the yumminess in this thread....:love:
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Ithe Jamie oliver crust is as good as any, in winter i heat a stone baking sheet in the bottom of the oven at 500f for half an hour to try and get the heat of a wood burning oven going, I make the crust really thin (thinner the better,) and top simply (Usually home canned tomatoes with basil, basil leaves and some fresh mozzarella (not the supermarket stuff - the mozzarella di buffi there is a local producer here so it's not too pricey) almost all the calories come in from the mozzarella (I use 4 ounces at 90 cal an ounce) but i just plan for it tomato sauce - very little 3-4 tablespoons of what is essentially tomato puree, 6-8 basil leaves - total is about 900 calories and we split it and have a salad