How to not look like fattest person in gym?

Options

Replies

• Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Just walk in there confident and determined...................then go do your workout. Don't let anything or anyone intimidate you.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I promise you that no one is going to mock you, not even silently. A) They are too busy with their own routine. B) EVERYONE has been the new kid at something, somewhere, sometime in their life.

I shall share my story: I fell off an apparatus. I was at the gym, and set up a sit-up bench for inclined sit-ups. It was the type of bench that has the foam things to hook your feet under at one end. I was starting easy, only a 5 degree incline. So I hop my very ample *kitten* onto the bench, swing my ankles under the pads and crunch up. Now, I have a lot of...let's say...excess...in my abdominal area, plus I have the weakest abs known to man or woman, so I can't manage a full sit-up, just a crunch, but every little bit, right? I'm crunching, and I am putting all I have into it. I crunch up, and my muscles are shrieking, they are ready to give up, but no, I gotta go for one more crunch. I go for it, but my abs fail. Halfway up, they just stop. I can't make it any further. I strain, push as hard as I can, but nope. I've used everything. I fall back into starting position, gasping, red-faced, and rest for a second.

Now, if you've ever been on one of these, you know you have to do one more sit-up to get off. I hadn't planned on that. See, you have to be able to get up high enough to grab the handle and unhook your feet, which, remember, are higher than your head right now. See the problem? Yeah, I couldn't do it. I ended up wiggling one of my feet loose, and literally falling off the bench to the ground.

At my gym, the sit-up benches are smack in the middle of the serious weightlifting area. Where all the big guys slinging around ginormous free weighs hang out. It had been nearly impossible to walk in the area and get on that bench, and now I had fallen off.

I bounced back to my feet, trying to take a lesson from my cat and act like I totally meant to do that. I raised my eyes and found myself face to face with one of the Serious Weightlifters. He raised an eyebrow, winked, fist-bumped me, and said "Get it, Girl. Half the battle's getting through these doors."

So even if you are the biggest person there, even if you do something silly, the odds that you will get anything other than respect, are super small.

TL;DR I fell off a piece of equipment because I wasn't strong enough to dismount correctly. I got encouragement from a very fit person afterward, and not one person laughed, pointed at me, or did anything to make me feel bad.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I prepared myself for remarks.... that never came. Seriously, no one is going to notice you. I WAS once the biggest person in my gym and no one said boo to me.

I was prepared, though. If someone HAD said something to me about my weight, I would have been all, "What better place for a fat girl like me to be... than at the gym?"

Go. Work out. After a while, you'll feel bad if you DON'T, because it really does feel great. :)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Baggy clothes slide down a lot and get in the way when I'm running so I were my tighter (fit before I was pregnant) running clothes any way. I normally run out in public about 3 times a week and before I go I always say a mental apology to the people in my neighborhood for inflicting the sight of me running in these clothes on them but I always add on the thought that every time I get out there and get it done, I'm that much closer to saying you're welcome for the privilege of seeing me out running in tight clothes. ;)

You may feel self conscious but every time you go, you have that much less to be self conscious about!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find people who are bigger than me at the gym really inspiring. I see what they're doing and think "if they can do that I can too" and it makes me push myself harder. I agree, I sometimes worry about what other people think, but then I start working out and focus on that and I forget all about it. I think it helps that I have a trainer, so I figure if anyone thinks anything about me they think "good for her, getting healthy and getting a trainer." At least that's what I hope they think :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Any tips?

I want to leave right after walking in most times.

How do you go about not look like fattest person in gym? Maybe baggy clothes or something?
    Lewis Black would tell you to work out at IHOP.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You don't know what size or what those other people looked like 12 months ago or even 6 months ago. So I don't judge. To tell you the truth I don't even think about the others in the gym as I'm concentrating more on what I'm doing.

Just go, have fun and enjoy it.

????????
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    If you waste your time worrying about what others think you wont ever achieve anything.
    Just go do it already!!! You are worth it. Once you get your workout groove on you will be glad you did.
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Just walk in there confident and determined...................then go do your workout. Don't let anything or anyone intimidate you.

This....
    I put my headphones in and Jack up the music and forget about everyone else
  • healthyme_2013
    Options
    Go in...know that you deserve to be there as much as anyone. Stay focused on your mission. This is for you and not for anyone else. What you wear does not matter as long as it's comfortable. Believe it or not, most people won't even notice you there. They will be too focused on improving themselves. If they do notice you, you'll just have to show them you are as committed as they are.
    You can do it! Take that step, you'll be happy you did!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    we all have to start somewhere. you dont have to be great to start...but you do have to start to be great!!!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    How to not look like fattest person in gym?

Keep going.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You probably wont be the fattest one...just the most self conscious. Just go.
    And the baggy clothes? Fools no one. Wear things that fit you well and be proud that you are taking care of YOU... because you deserve it!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When I see fat people in the gym I cheer "Go Fatty Go!".

In my head anyway. I don't actually say it out loud.

Seriously, do not use being fat as an excuse not to go to the gym. No one cares. Or it makes them feel better about themselves because they can smugly think "Well, at least I'm not that fat".
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don`t look around when I`m at the gym I`m there to get in , get done and get home lol no time to check out the other people and what they are doing. ( short answer just focus on what you have to get done and don`t worry about anyone else )
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wear black. Ha ha. Seriously I do wear black about half of the time at the gym. You deserve to be at the gym just as much as anyone else there. You have the right to be proud of yourself having the self discipline to work out at the gym. You are going to the gym, good for you!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it until you're not the fattest person in the gym anymore. Done.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    How to not look like the fattest person in the gym?

1: Join a gym that is right next to a Wal Mart. Particularly a Wal Mart with a McDonald's in it.

2: Get out of your own head. Everyone thinks they are the fattest, most out of shape person there. The odds of you being right are pretty slim. And if you are right, then take comfort in the fact that you are the only person there who is right. Then work your *kitten* off until you are no longer right.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Baggy clothes are just going to make you look bigger. Just wear something comfortable, no one cares if you are the biggest person there. I'm pretty sure I was one of the biggest women at my gym when I started, but no one was anything but nice to me. If they see you working hard they will respect you regardless of size =)
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I honestly couldn't tell you what anybody who goes to the gym looks like. Except one, there's this 75 year old man that I see in there all the time. He, quite frankly, amazes me.

A lot of this is in your head. Go and do your thing! Better to be at the gym then on the couch