Best pre-workout

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Coltrolled Labs' White Flood. IIRC it has ~180 mg's of caffeine per serving. It is powdered, though, so you can adjust what a "serving" is to you.
    You can by caffeine pills in 200mgs for like $3.

http://www.pipingrock.com/energy/caffeine-200-mg-39181?prd=D0000J&CAWELAID=1934925218&catargetid=600007550000003275&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJfqxIzIxbwCFdGUfgodkQsAaw

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    broscience is "needing" a pre-workout when most people don't need anything and if that a cup of coffee will do the trick just fine- or you know- good old fashioned hard work.

Everyone wants to take something to make them better. How about just being better instead of taking stuff?

There is no "best pre-workout" it's a waste of money. Grumble all you want- but just going in and lifting the old fashioned way is not broscience- DYELB?

LOL. Yeah, I lift. I just find it funny that the gym rats (not saying YOU are one), love to either push product or poo-poo on anyone who doesn't do things SUPER PALEO NATURAL HARDCORE like they do. If someone wants a pre-workout, whats the big deal? Either real or perceived differences in the way someone trains is a matter of personal preference. Heck, if they wanna snort pixie stix, more power to them.

My point was the thread was asking for reco's on what a good pre-workout was. She didn't ask "are pre-workouts legit/placebo"...so many people got off topic. Now I am too. *kicks rocks*
    Supplements today aren't that cheap. Is it wrong to ask why they think they need it? If they really don't need it, wouldn't it be more sensible to put it towards food that would supply better nutritional value to attain their goal? And the reality is most people probably don't need it, but use it because so many others are.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BCAA's is the only one I use...
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    A banana and a caffeine tablet.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have tried many, many preworkout supplements.

I like C4. It is the best one I've tried and have been using it for a year now and have no intention of switching. Another one I have used and liked is Black Powder.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    the only two i've bought more than once or twice are NO Explode and Nitraflex...just a warning, you'll have to poop after the NO Explode
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Bronkaid from Wal Mart (Ephedra) + Caffeine + Aspirin.

The tried and true ECA stack still exists.

Other than that, C4 is good.

bronkaid has ephedrine, not ephedra and taking that as a pre-workout is dumb as hell.
    Pre-workout:
    caffeine: 200 mg
    vit b complex
    beta-alnine
    creatine

Buy separately and you can get all the top notch (actually scientifically proven) active ingredients to all the pre-workout mixes for 1/3 of the price of your premixed crap.

Yes it has ephedrine in it, but that is still part of the ECA stack... which is very effective. It is true that many perceive it to be dangerous, but I think that is true only if it is abused.

My recommendation is to use C4.

Yes, I know, I'm not a stranger to EC stacks. Now why you would suggest taking a combination of drugs that has thermogenic properties while raising your heart rate and suggest that someone go workout is, well, dumb. Cutting agents make ****ty preworkouts. Period. Sure, you may lose an extra pound or two a month by taking it pre-workout as opposed to post workout but at what risk? Suddenly finding out you have an existing heart condition that you never knew about and having a heart attack...that risk to benefit ratio is dumb.

It isn't about cutting fat genius. The point of a preworkout is to get your energy level up so you can crush your workout. An ECA stack is the closest thing to speed. 99% of the population probably shouldn't take it, but unless you've tried it, you don't know ****.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    1GbCytr.gif

Ready to crush chest day with my cocaine.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    1GbCytr.gif

Ready to crush chest day with my cocaine.

YES!
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: Sweet post, brah. She didn't ask if you needed outside help or IF she should take. She asked for good recommendations on pre-workouts.

We are not worthy of your au naturale awesomeness.

Broscience. :grumble:
    Most people take pre workouts because................well everyone is doing them. No real thought process on why, but because people who look like they are getting results should be emulated even if it is broscience.
    Approach to working out is more about attitude. If one needs a "pick me up", they either are not nutritionally feeding right or they are lacking in the motivation department.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly^^^

The industry is flooded, so every magazine promotes it. You see Phil Heath on the cover, using pre-workouts, doing 5 different exercises for biceps curls, it must all work!! I can almost guarantee he ain't using that and he ain't doing that workout either, but that's a different topic to debate hahaha

People lifting for only a few months or 6 months, shouldn't really concern themselves with taking anything "extra". I see it way to often, guys or girls start lifting, few months in, they won't to take creatine, pre-workout, or whatever else they read about. Just eat a ton of real food, Lift heavy Sh@t, and put it down. I'm speaking from experience, had a guy just the other day, start asking me
    about steroids. I told him to start deadlifting and get off the cable machine. seriously?

Up until 2 months ago, I had never even heard of "broscience" and had to look it up. Since I have no "degrees" or a weekend seminar for my PT , I guess I fall into the broscience group. I guess my 10+ years of lifting, and over 15 years of fitness experience count for nothing? The blood, sweat and tears on the bar don't hold any value ? haha funny, i'll listen to any guy or girl that's been lifting for years and put in the HARD work, over anybody with a degree, that's read every forum and fitness article, and has been lifting for 3 months.

I know i'm getting off topic here with my rant, just tired of this broscience stuff.

IN my opinion, the best pre-workout, is no pre-workout, unless you have the money to waste, then go ahead. again, my opinion. Take the broscience advice any way you want it.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's not sexy, but coffee is the best way to go. I have taken many pre-workout supps and still do. I will tell you of the pitfalls : Bloating, Adrenal fatigue, Possible future heart problems, Addiction.... and the list goes on. Pre-workout supplements can also be laced with illegal substances that are precursors to amphetamines (ds nutrition Craze, Ultimate Orange, Oxy Elite Pro) Supplement companies often run what is known in the industry as Hot Batches which contain questionable substances to boost word of mouth marketing to boost sales. I have found that the very best supplement to training is good loud music. For the most part pre-workouts are just yet another way for supplement companies to separate you from your money.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    So now that that is out of the way here you go.
    Cellucor HD very strong no bloating
    Myogenix Hypershock semi strong heavy bloating
    Infinite Labs Juggernaut very good stuff that tastes like poo
    PS Hyde very strong
    No Xplode overhyped poop in a flashy tub
    MTS Nutrition Clash the very best of the best no jitters or side effects.
    All of the rest for the most part are not so hot. You can also take a thermogenic fat burner and it will do the same thing in terms of generating energy. I would not under any circumstances recommend taking fat burners or pre-workouts before doing cardio. Very bad Idea. But, I am just a simple man and I do not claim to know anything about everything. Ask for samples wherever you go, and find one that you dig homegirl.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

It isn't about cutting fat genius. The point of a preworkout is to get your energy level up so you can crush your workout. An ECA stack is the closest thing to speed. 99% of the population probably shouldn't take it, but unless you've tried it, you don't know ****.

Holy balls you are thick.
    An ECA stack is nowhere close to speed.

And yes, I've tried it, I love it except I nix the A bc of stomach issues.

We all get that the point of a pre-workout is to get your energy and concentration level up, no one is debating that.

Doing so with a stack that is thermogenic, raises your blood pressure, raises your heart rate, stresses your cardio system, makes you more numb to workload is a recipe for disaster in a pre-workout unless you really REALLY know what you are doing.

In the back of your head you pseudo already understand this when you say " 99% of the population probably shouldn't take it"

BUT the point I am making as why it is a horrible pre-workout is bc a soccer mom is going to read this forum post, think holy crap, I'll take a ECA stack because its an awesome pre-workout and burns the hell out of fat, then poops herself during a heart attack while on the treadmill trying to do some HIIT and now they start pulling bronkaid from store shelves due to R-tards like you recommending it openly to everyone without a single precautionary word thrown out there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

perhaps some sleep and good old fashioned motivation to crush your work out.

you don't need to get your energy levels up to crush you work out- you just need to go fricking do it- eat right and sleep enough.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    ECY stack (Ephedrine + Caffeine + Yohimbine) before a HIIT seassion=heart attack city. You'd probably have a death boner though.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I like Musclepharm Assault. No jitters, tingling skin, etc...works well for me.

I use this as well but I dont take it every workout - then you'll find yourself needing it but I dig it. Sometimes I just use the musclepharm aminos (which is a post) but i like to keep a good hydration going

remember: everything in moderation....especially moderation
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    COLD *kitten* SHOWER before you hit the gym.... works like you would not believe......
  • prettystar1sky
    prettystar1sky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying out C4 icy blue razz, 1 scoop with water. About to do some step aerobics and hula hoop with it. First time trying it out! Tastes good at least :)
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying out C4 icy blue razz, 1 scoop with water. About to do some step aerobics and hula hoop with it. First time trying it out! Tastes good at least :)

Been using this flavor the past few months. 2 scoops. Sometimes with an extra 100mg caffeine pill
  • 17Delts
    17Delts Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    cellucor c4 fruit punch, does not make you jittery and tastes great