Low Cal Pasta or Pasta Replacement?

Options
I'm Italian. I can't cut out pasta from my diet. I always make my own sauces so I know how to keep that low cal, but what about the noodles? I like whole-wheat and even asian noodles but whole wheat isn't low-cal and asian noodles aren't always the right texture.

When I make lasagna I like to use thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant to replace noodles. I even have an eggplant-noodle manicotti recipe. But I don't know how to replace pasta in baked ziti or spaghetti.

Any ideas for low-calorie pasta or pasta replacements?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Green lentils make an EXCELLENT pasta substitute. I had a bowl of them with marinara sauce and it was amazing. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! I love it as replacement for spaghetti.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! I love it as replacement for spaghetti.

I finally tried spaghetti squash for the first time the other day and at first I was having problems getting past the fact that it was a squash. By the third time eating the leftovers I can say that I would make it again - it was quite good!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Spaghetti squash or long/thin slices of carrots made however you prefer your pasta made.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I also use broccoli slaw instead of pasta - it's not quite the same but it is quite good with a bit of sauce and some grilled chicken.
  • SnoopysBitch
    Options
    Can somebody describe to me how I would cook spaghetti squash to be pasta-like. I've never made it before.
  • faeriecake
    faeriecake Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you can, get a vegetable spiralizer, and turn zucchini into zucchini noodles! I got mine for about 40 bucks, which seems kind of steep, but I am totally obsessed with mine and use it almost every single day. Zucchini noodles make a quick and easy substitute for pasta.

If you don't want to get a spiralizer, try getting a julienne peeler. It looks like a vegetable peeler but it has "teeth" to make long strands. You can use it on squashes and carrots!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Can somebody describe to me how I would cook spaghetti squash to be pasta-like. I've never made it before.

Here you go, with pictures!

http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/ss/spagsquashsbs.htm
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I want a low calorie spaghetti - I take a half block of ramen noodles, cook it, drain it and add marinara sauce and 4 oz of baked chicken.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried "Miracle Noodles?" They're made from mushrooms I think. I saw them at Walmart in the produce section.

MIR001_Xl.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    italian too..

here is what I do ….make room in my diary and eat the real pasta…Almas whole wheat linguine is pretty good ..when I make lasagna I use the barilla thin sheets…

Don't restrict the things you love, learn to eat them in moderation ...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried "Miracle Noodles?" They're made from mushrooms I think. I saw them at Walmart in the produce section.

MIR001_Xl.jpg

It's made from konjac yam.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

MIR001_Xl.jpg

LOL at "miracle noodles" are the negative calories too….?
  • mermaidalive
    Options
    just heard about kelp noodles .. haven't tried them yet, but first chance I get ..
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you want low calorie, you'll have to go with veggies instead of pasta. Most noodles are high in calories.

I just eat pasta less often, and eat less of it when I do. There are lots of great Italian dishes that don't revolve around pasta!
  • Rdlm1001
    Rdlm1001 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have used miracle noodles. They smell a bit fishy at first so rinse well in a strainer then it is very important to pan fry to remove the excess moisture. Then toss in sauce. You can order on Amazon. They are fine. Not like real pasta, but works. I like quinoa spaghetti. Not much lower in calories, but higher in protein. You have to make sure to not over cook.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like to do 1/2-1/3 pasta 1/2-2/3 veggies. I have a julienne slicer that I use to julienne carrots, peppers, squash (can't find spaghetti squash where I live!), and zucchini.

I started off with about 1/2 and 1/2, but then I moved onto about 1/3 pasta and 2/3 veggies. I think there was a thread awhile back where people thought this was sacrilege, but I love it. It cuts down significantly on my calories, gets all my veggies in, plus my pasta is beautiful and colorful! Its also very handy for family meals. One bowl veggies, one bowl pasta. My husband and kid, who do not have weight problems, take more pasta, and I take more veggies.

My pasta dishes come out looking something like this, except usually more veggies.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cajun-chicken-pasta-on-lighter-side.html

Now just tell me that doesn't look pretty?

I won this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-SteeL-Chefs-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B003L0OP1G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392180428&sr=8-5&keywords=julienne+slicer which I use for heavy duty jobs. Ya its expensive, but I use it a lot, and I had several cheaper ones fall apart on me. And this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Hand-Held-Julienne-Slicer/dp/B000YDPSFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392180463&sr=8-1&keywords=julienne+slicer which I use for slicing onions for anything I cook onions in (soups, curries, some stir fries).
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Another vote for spaghetti squash.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

MIR001_Xl.jpg

LOL at "miracle noodles" are the negative calories too….?

They aren't great but they are passable if you have almost no calories left. They aren't negative cal but they are very very low cal. From what I've read they have been eating this is Asia for centuries, probably not for it being a "diet food" just a food. You can buy them at the Asian supermarket cheaper too by the way. Like someone said before make sure you rinse them well because yes they do smell a bit fishy till you do that. There is a rice shaped version which I prefer for some reason. Some of them depending on brands have a little of other things added lke a tiny bit of flour in one and it makes it much nicer in texture. I hear there is a tofu one but not seen it yet. They do tend to have a bit of a chewy texture.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there's no substitute for good pasta. Just learn to portion control it, and enjoy it in moderation!