Some should use the money on bettering themselves.....

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
Rather than their pets. Reading an article on show dogs a while back, some spent as much as $5000 a month to keep their dog fed, groomed, housed and trained. Mind you it's not doing tricks like "roll over" or "jump through the hoop", but just how to trot and stop and stand still.
So I see this cost and look at the physical shape of the owner and facepalm. Many obviously don't take as good as care of themselves as their dog. I'll never understand it even though many have tried to explain the why, I still can't help but wonder why they care more about the dog than themselves.
A child or relative, I can see since they can carry on genes and legacy. I do get that one can get very attached to an animal, but fail to see how one puts that animals health and well being over their own.

Okay, I'm ready for the animal lovers to bash me now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to figure out why people do the things they do a long time ago. That's an exercise in futility.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Same reason that people live vicariously through their children, pushing the kids to achieve things that they themselves never could, and have given up trying to to -

Spending money while someone/something else does the actual work is easy. Doing work is hard.
  • clodia2
    Options
    That's a very good point.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Terrific point.

But way I see it, not my problem.

Long as it doesn't affect me directly, don't really care.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Stupid people do stupid things.

The trick is figuring out how to make money off of them.

I'm writing a diet book . . .
  • floridachill71
    floridachill71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    $5000 a month huh? Sounds like I need to get into the dog training business..
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    As you well know, the first step in self improvement is recognizing there is a problem. When I first heard the term fat adapted, I thought it related to the way we see fat people around us and figure we're normal being fat.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

You and me both. I'd tell them all their dogs are not yet pretty and they need the special $600 cream rinse. I'd use Suave.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Rather than their pets. Reading an article on show dogs a while back, some spent as much as $5000 a month to keep their dog fed, groomed, housed and trained. Mind you it's not doing tricks like "roll over" or "jump through the hoop", but just how to trot and stop and stand still.
    So I see this cost and look at the physical shape of the owner and facepalm. Many obviously don't take as good as care of themselves as their dog. I'll never understand it even though many have tried to explain the why, I still can't help but wonder why they care more about the dog than themselves.
    A child or relative, I can see since they can carry on genes and legacy. I do get that one can get very attached to an animal, but fail to see how one puts that animals health and well being over their own.

Okay, I'm ready for the animal lovers to bash me now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Lol why should they? It's their money, it's their business. Just because it appears that you judge people on what they look like, perhaps they don't.....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

You and me both. I'd tell them all their dogs are not yet pretty and they need the special $600 cream rinse. I'd use Suave.

cream rinse.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

cream rinse.

heh
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Terrific point.

But way I see it, not my problem.

Long as it doesn't affect me directly, don't really care.

My thoughts are in line with this lady...

+1
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I have come realize that my goals are NOT your goals. And my reasons for doing things are NOT yours.

My "purpose" is unique to me, and I spend my money to achieve that purpose. Just as my family doesn't understand mine, but they accept me and it anyways... I do the same for them.

If someone wants to spend the money on their dog, it's their money. Let them be.

Take off the judgey pants and add another set of weights to your bar.
    :smile:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love my dog but there is no way in hell I'd spend $5000 on him every month.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My sister has a show dog, an Irish setter. Absolutely beautiful dog. Now she may be a bit different from the dog show people you're describing. She's an equine vet so she knows her way around animals. She does the majority of the work herself. She always grooms Abby before shows and in her downtime, and has trained her since she was a pup.

She also lets Abby just be a dog when they're not showing. She rolls in mud puddles, plays in the snow, wrestles around with her other dogs (a rescued Great Dane and a black lab), and follows my niece everywhere.

Sure it's expensive, but she made her money by working hard, and she can choose to spend it however she wishes :smile:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I try to just worry about myself, and my kids. Believe me, those are big enough things to deal with, without stressing over what someone else does with their money/house/pets/etc.
  • floridachill71
    floridachill71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Partners? We could call it Milf and Muscles Premium Dog Care
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    What, so fat people aren't allowed to have expensive hobbies until they've stopped being fat?

You know what a competition grade trap shotgun costs? And how many thousands of shells those guys shoot in a month? And some of them are fat.

Have you ever been to the drag races? Even the "run what you brung" days will have guys show up with tens of thousands of dollars in their cars. Some of those guys are fat.

Should they put all other plans and hobbies and good times on hold until they conform with your idea of attractive and healthy?
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's their money, not yours. If I had $5000 in expendable income, I'd probably spend a lot of it on my dogs. It'd be my business. Not yours.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to figure out why people do the things they do a long time ago. That's an exercise in futility.

MFP needs a "like" button.