Newbie! What's best for fat loss and body recomposition?

Options
I'm 52 kgs at 5"1 at 19 years which is a normal weight for my height but I have an excess of body fat. In clothes you'd think I'm fine, but without them, you'd understand that my body fat doesn't correspond to my weight accurately. I want to lose inches more than the actual weight.

I've been advised to do weights and limit cardio. I just joined a gym, and being a fitness newbie, I'm confused about which classes to take to help me reach my goal of fat loss and body recomposition. All are included in the membership, so that's not a problem. This is the list:

Body Combat
CXWORX
Body Pump
Step
Interval Training
Pilates
Gravity
Spinning
Body Class
Grit Strength
Yoga
Piloga
Zumba
GAG

If you guys could tell me which one I should be doing, or a combination of them, that would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    Bump!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    There really is no "best". Your diet will play more of a factor in that than anything.

So the best workout, is the one where you eat the best in my opinion.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Imho the best ones are the ones you enjoy.

the exercise i enjoy the most is the one i stick at.

enjoyment is a big help with motivation

David :smile:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    All of these are cardio, with the possible exception of yoga. They'll be good for limited cardio, but not for building mass (which is what you want to do - you will not get big and bulky).

If your gym has a free weight section, look into buying a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and learn the major compound lifts before starting on either the SS program or an appropriate analogue.

Take care with your diet. If you're going to lift weights, adequate food and sleep is very important for recovery and for growth. I would recommend looking into calculating your TDEE, and creating a calorie deficit of 5-10% of your TDEE (if my TDEE is 2000 calories, 10% of that would be 200, so my goal calorie intake would be 2000 - 200 = 1800).
    Make sure you're getting sufficient amounts of protein, 1g per lb of body weight is usually the recommended goal. You don't have to hit that to the gram, but get fairly close.

It's important to remember that body recomposition takes a long time.

Best of luck.
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    All of these are cardio, with the possible exception of yoga. They'll be good for limited cardio, but not for building mass (which is what you want to do - you will not get big and bulky).

If your gym has a free weight section, look into buying a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe and learn the major compound lifts before starting on either the SS program or an appropriate analogue.

Take care with your diet. If you're going to lift weights, adequate food and sleep is very important for recovery and for growth. I would recommend looking into calculating your TDEE, and creating a calorie deficit of 5-10% of your TDEE (if my TDEE is 2000 calories, 10% of that would be 200, so my goal calorie intake would be 2000 - 200 = 1800).
    Make sure you're getting sufficient amounts of protein, 1g per lb of body weight is usually the recommended goal. You don't have to hit that to the gram, but get fairly close.

It's important to remember that body recomposition takes a long time.

Best of luck.

Probably the best advice you'll get.

EDA: I do strength train gin three times a week, yoga the other days. I find it a good combination - yoga is not only another form of strength training, but also relaxing and a way of meditation. Please never eat below your BMR - MFP will give you 1200 calories a day if you say you want to lose weight - don't fall for that! The above advice is the best you'll be getting. Search 'eat more to weigh less': your brain will explode :wink:

All the best, ladies who lift are sexy :drinker:
  • rk_19
    Options
    Okay thank you guys!

So none of the above exercise classes, except maybe Yoga?

I was thinking Body Pump and Pilates, a friend said that'd be good for what I want, along with strength training!
  • rk_19
    Options
    bump
  • HappyStack
    Options
    If you're "strength training" Body Pump is unnecessary. Doing twice as much won't get you there twice as fast.

Make a choice, do one or the other, or you're bound to burn out and/or injure yourself.
  • rk_19
    Options
    Okay, I understand.. yeah, I definitely don't want to hurt myself. Would 3 days weights, Yoga and HIIT be good? I really want to lose that fat!
  • rk_19
    Options
    bump
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Well, what is your current level of activity? jumping straight into 3 different types of workouts is probably unsustainable if you're not already fairly active.

What do you mean by "weights"? Body Pump? you can do that as often as you feel able to, it focuses more on muscular endurance than building mass. If you're going to lift heavy (strength train) you'll more than likely want to take it easy on your days off.

If you want specific advice, you need to ask specific questions :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Okay, I understand.. yeah, I definitely don't want to hurt myself. Would 3 days weights, Yoga and HIIT be good? I really want to lose that fat!

you're missing the point.

fat loss comes from a calorie deficit- meaning your diet drives it.

You could take ALL of those classes- for months on end and never lose weight- if you aren't getting your diet in check.

Get your diet in check by doing the following exercises
    table push aways
    fork put downs

then get New Rules of lifting
    strong lifts
    starting strength
    strong curves

any of those- lift

doing cardio will help increase the deficit and is obviously good for heart health.

but your diet/deficit drives the loss- not the working out.
  • rk_19
    Options
    So if just maintained a calorie deficit, I would lose the fat? Not that I will, but I'm trying to understand what would solve the problem.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will cause you to lose both fat and some muscle. Lifting weights and eating sufficient protein will help you to retain muscle while you are losing fat so that your body composition will improve over time.
  • rk_19
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will cause you to lose both fat and some muscle. Lifting weights and eating sufficient protein will help you to retain muscle while you are losing fat so that your body composition will improve over time.

Thank you :)!!
  • mrssanderclause
    mrssanderclause Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Agreed! Lift weights, eat lots of egg whites and chicken breasts! I recommend Jamie Eason's 12 week plan on bodybuilding.com.
  • WillPowerRX777
    Options
    yes! Currently what I'm doing again! lost 80 pounds due to the whole low cal & fat thing. Got on hormone drugs, gained a lil weight back. At one point I had nice gains but decided eating less to starve to lose last 10 lbs was the thing to do! not! So now Im getting off drugs and re-tweaking diet..making sure protein is up. Macro's are good. 'Muscle Catabolism' is not a good thing. Hit them weights!
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you are looking for a black and white answer. Fat loss is a combination of all the things your buddies post here. Number 1: Diet - High protein, low sugar, avoiding processed starches. Number Two: Stength training - Muscle burns fat, and once the fat comes off, it will leave you looking fit and tones instead of thin and stalky. Number 3: Cardio - You should mix this in with your weekly workout routine. It'll help your heart health, your endurance, and help keep your calorie counting in check.

Good Luck! Add me if you want. My goal is fat loss as well.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I believe that for the results you want, I recommend a weight training circuit with some fun cardio just to mix it up. If you're looking to tone and reshape without bulk you can do light weights with more repetitions. I also recommend calisthenics as something simple you can do any time anywhere so the standard push ups, pull ups, crunches, jumping jacks would work. You can find PLENTY of easy workouts online which can be done in combination with any weight training.

Hope this helps!

10613010.png