Some should use the money on bettering themselves.....

Options

Replies

• jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's not up to us to try to figure out or give advice to others on how they should spend their own money. To each their own.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What, so fat people aren't allowed to have expensive hobbies until they've stopped being fat?

You know what a competition grade trap shotgun costs? And how many thousands of shells those guys shoot in a month? And some of them are fat.

Have you ever been to the drag races? Even the "run what you brung" days will have guys show up with tens of thousands of dollars in their cars. Some of those guys are fat.

Should they put all other plans and hobbies and good times on hold until they conform with your idea of attractive and healthy?
    this, where do you get off being so judgmental?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to figure out why people do the things they do a long time ago. That's an exercise in futility.

yup.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    That is so sad. I have heard of show moms spending thousands on their kids clothes, but a dog?

Black-Man-Stark-Trek-Facepalm-Gif.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    No matter how much chrome you put on an old Cadillac it is still just an old Cadillac.

No idea what it has to do with anything. I just like the saying. :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Rather than their pets. Reading an article on show dogs a while back, some spent as much as $5000 a month to keep their dog fed, groomed, housed and trained. Mind you it's not doing tricks like "roll over" or "jump through the hoop", but just how to trot and stop and stand still.
    So I see this cost and look at the physical shape of the owner and facepalm. Many obviously don't take as good as care of themselves as their dog. I'll never understand it even though many have tried to explain the why, I still can't help but wonder why they care more about the dog than themselves.
    A child or relative, I can see since they can carry on genes and legacy. I do get that one can get very attached to an animal, but fail to see how one puts that animals health and well being over their own.

Okay, I'm ready for the animal lovers to bash me now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Actually, it bothers me more when I see people with fat dogs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What, so fat people aren't allowed to have expensive hobbies until they've stopped being fat?

You know what a competition grade trap shotgun costs? And how many thousands of shells those guys shoot in a month? And some of them are fat.

Have you ever been to the drag races? Even the "run what you brung" days will have guys show up with tens of thousands of dollars in their cars. Some of those guys are fat.

Should they put all other plans and hobbies and good times on hold until they conform with your idea of attractive and healthy?

This.

Just to address the original example - I am not a show dog person, I prefer working lines. Luckily for my bank account, I have no outlet for my hobby around here so I'm safe. But for those who are shelling out big money on their show dogs are likely competing in high level competitions with prize money. Not only that, do you have any idea what stud fees and showline puppies from sires and dams with Championship titles are worth?
  • I love my dog....I love her SO much....

I spend a whopping 40 dollars a month on her...that's it...that's all...

i spend whopping extra 24 a year on making sure she's registered and healthy.

frankly the best payment my dog gets is in ear scratches and bum pats....she couldn't give a fvck about 5000 dollars...

she wants good food, cuddles and love.

best 40 bucks I spend.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Bingo.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That is so sad. I have heard of show moms spending thousands on their kids clothes, but a dog?

Black-Man-Stark-Trek-Facepalm-Gif.gif

Some people don't have kids..whether by choice or by genetics..their dogs and cats become their children.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Rather than their pets. Reading an article on show dogs a while back, some spent as much as $5000 a month to keep their dog fed, groomed, housed and trained. Mind you it's not doing tricks like "roll over" or "jump through the hoop", but just how to trot and stop and stand still.
    So I see this cost and look at the physical shape of the owner and facepalm. Many obviously don't take as good as care of themselves as their dog. I'll never understand it even though many have tried to explain the why, I still can't help but wonder why they care more about the dog than themselves.
    A child or relative, I can see since they can carry on genes and legacy. I do get that one can get very attached to an animal, but fail to see how one puts that animals health and well being over their own.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol why should they? It's their money, it's their business. Just because it appears that you judge people on what they look like, perhaps they don't.....
    If you noticed, I said "physical shape". If you've ever watched a clip of a dog show, the owner RUNS with the dog. When the owner is panting and huffing from running 10yds, it's probably a good indication that the dogs health and fitness is better than theirs.
    And why should they? Probably because if they succumb to death or illness, who's gonna take care of their precious dog then?:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

This.

Just to address the original example - I am not a show dog person, I prefer working lines. Luckily for my bank account, I have no outlet for my hobby around here so I'm safe. But for those who are shelling out big money on their show dogs are likely competing in high level competitions with prize money. Not only that, do you have any idea what stud fees and showline puppies from sires and dams with Championship titles are worth?

Also this.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Lol why should they? It's their money, it's their business. Just because it appears that you judge people on what they look like, perhaps they don't.....
    If you noticed, I said "physical shape". If you've ever watched a clip of a dog show, the owner RUNS with the dog. When the owner is panting and huffing from running 10yds, it's probably a good indication that the dogs health and fitness is better than theirs.
    And why should they? Probably because if they succumb to death or illness, who's gonna take care of their precious dog then?:wink:

IDEA Fitness member

I thought it was the handler that showed the dogs and ran with them etc. and not the owner. :huh:
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

And after the dog owners die this is what happens to the poor doggie....

jack-black-kick-baxter-anchorman.gif

It could have been all prevented to. Just if that dog owner would have cared enough about fido or fifi to not let poor health get the best of them and retire earlier than expected.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    We have three hunting dogs, and their training costs us $175 per week, per dog, 3-6 weeks per year per dog. They are all microchipped, they need shots for Lymes, rabies and distemper yearly, heartworm testing and pills, frontline to prevent ticks and fleas. We buy them grain-free high protein food. They are expensive to own and take proper care of, but I couldn't afford them, I wouldn't own them.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't get the whole pure bred thing to begin with. I'm a veterinary assistant and see countless pure bred animals brought in because of genetic health problems just because people have an obsession with playing all powerful creator and making everything around them suit their own needs. English Bulldogs can't even have puppies naturally anymore because they've been bred to have such large heads and narrow hips that to try to deliver a litter naturally can literally kill them. Same with chihuahua's and other toy breeds. AND the AKC has rules against altered animals entering their competitions so you cannot get your animal spayed or neutered in order to show. This only perpetuates the continuation of the breeding and selling of these animals while the gene pool gets smaller and smaller.

What's wrong with going to your local shelter and rescuing an animal that desperately needs a home? Mixed breed dogs tend to live 5-8 years longer than a pure bred animal, they are usually already fixed as part of their adoption fee, and in general don't encounter the severe health issues that many pure breed dogs do, thus lowering the expenses of the owner exponentially. AND, they love you just the same or even more because you gave them a second chance.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I thought it was the handler that showed the dogs and ran with them etc. and not the owner. :huh:

Most people that are spending that kind of money on dog care stuff each month are, in fact, hiring handlers. It's rare that the owner is also the handler especially at that level.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

^This. People can spend their money however they choose and if it is an expensive hobby that makes them happy then so be it. I raise and train competition horses. That is by no means cheap. In this industry there are very fit people and very unfit people just as in anything. Who knows maybe the people you see are trying to be more fit and just haven't achieved it yet. That in no way means they can't do what they enjoy no matter how much it costs.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

This.

AND this is why we have backyard breeders and puppy mills... money. Are people seriously this obsessed with money that they would jeopardize the health of an animal?
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't get the whole pure bred thing to begin with. I'm a veterinary assistant and see countless pure bred animals brought in because of genetic health problems just because people have an obsession with playing all powerful creator and making everything around them suit their own needs. English Bulldogs can't even have puppies naturally anymore because they've been bred to have such large heads and narrow hips that to try to deliver a litter naturally can literally kill them. Same with chihuahua's and other toy breeds. AND the AKC has rules against altered animals entering their competitions so you cannot get your animal spayed or neutered in order to show. This only perpetuates the continuation of the breeding and selling of these animals while the gene pool gets smaller and smaller.

What's wrong with going to your local shelter and rescuing an animal that desperately needs a home? Mixed breed dogs tend to live 5-8 years longer than a pure bred animal, they are usually already fixed as part of their adoption fee, and in general don't encounter the severe health issues that many pure breed dogs do, thus lowering the expenses of the owner exponentially. AND, they love you just the same or even more because you gave them a second chance.

^ This, Amazeballs. I want to hug you. :bigsmile: