How does everyone manage to eat enough protein?

Options
1235»

Replies

• almx00
    almx00 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tuna has lots of protein! As well as sliced turkey. A cup of plain greek yogurt has 24g of protein which makes for a great snack with some berries or cinnamon! :love:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I see people with this problem and I wonder, how can I stop going OVER my protein. I go over every single day, I guess cause I don't eat too many different foods, and I don't eat that MUCH, so I need to look at distributing my food better also.

If you're using MFP's default macros, your protein is too low.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I always figure I ate about 3,000 per day when I ate whatever I wanted. I eat 2000 now.

2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.

meh- not really. I eat upwards of 3000.

actually I LOLed so hard at the body building professional cheerleader- red/black team- don't remember who- anyway- they wrote an article saying she was consuming 900 calorie shakes- eating 3000 calories a day. at 3000 calories a day there is no way I could fit in a 900 calorie shake without giving up food. 3000 is just NOT that much. It's a lot long term if you do it months on end 3000+ can be tedious- but for day to day average eating- you have some ups and some downs- it's not that hard to hit 3000 a day.

That being said.

Eggs- bacon- I eat upwards of 10 a day- i've been slacking so mostly 6 at this point.
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Steak
    Protein + milk for a shake. delicious.
    Cheese
    Greek Yogurt + Protein
    all full of win.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well I bought some yogurt (the Greek had less protein so went for the higher protein option) had it with some protein shake powder and berries and it was ok!

I have met my target over the last 3 days and I am trying to plan more earlier in the day and make use of the protein shake stuff I have by sneaking it in stuff and then buying some whey when I run out.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Definitely love protein pancakes. I add Greek yogurt or cottage cheese to the batter along with protein powder, wheat flour and whole oats to bump it to 27g per serving. With a side of turkey or vegetable sausage or turkey bacon wrapped eggs....I often get 40+ at breakfast.

Try stuffing a chicken breast with spinach and cheese then wrap in turkey bacon. Yummmm...

If you want ice cream but are short on your protein for the day, make some blender soft-serve with 1 scoop protein powder, 4oz milk of your choice, half tray of ice cubes and whatever other fixin's you like. :P

You can add plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese or protein powder into all kinds of things to boost the protein content. Not just cold stir in foods either. Use higher protein flours in your baking and add/substitute some things with higher protein. I love the recipe feature on MFP. I can play around with ingredients and it'll tally everything up.
  • onthefritzz
    onthefritzz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you try different brands of greek yogurt - they don't all taste the same! I used to think I hated it until I found the right brand and flavor. :love:
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is something I really struggle with as I am vegetarian (no fish either) and I am not a big egg fan, in addition I am currently cutting back on processed food and sugars, so Greek yoghurt doesn't normally have sugar in right? I am dubious about whey protein (the cutting back on processed crap thing) as I don't always know what's in it. I am in the UK can anyone recommend a good brand?

Im from the UK and Im a pescatarian so I eat a lot of greek yoghurt! Fage Total and Chobani are good brands

I'm in the UK too. Quorn stuff is really high in protein. I've started having quorn burgers for lunch to hit my protein quota. I get Maximuscle protein shakes, mainly because they are cheap in costco! They taste pretty nice though,and I've not noticed any adverse side affects from them.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Greek Yoghurt (Fage)
    Cottage Cheese
    Hard boiled eggs
    Beans
    Tofu
    Fish
    Nuts/seeds
    Veggies - yes, even vegetables contain protein.

And I do not touch Quorn with a 10 foot pole, that stuff is so heavily processed and produced in large vats.
    It is not very savoury once you read about how that stuff is produced.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you are a guy.

2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.

I eat like 2600 calories every day. I had 3200 today
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I average about 60 or 70 grams a day (at 5'10, 145 pounds) and I'm fine. You don't need as much protein as you think you do.
  • sandiuk
    sandiuk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and am delighted to have found this topic and all the replies. I had no idea Greek yogurt was such a good source - I shall reinstate it for breakfast from tomorrow!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I average about 60 or 70 grams a day (at 5'10, 145 pounds) and I'm fine. You don't need as much protein as you think you do.

science
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It's always good to vary your diet, you could try these other good sources of protein:

*Quinoa - Its a complete protein having all the essential amino acids
    1 cup of cooked Quinoa has 18g of protein

*Beans, legumes, lentils (black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, Almonds)
    1 cup of canned kidney beans has about 13.4g protein

*Tofu - (or other soy products)
    1 cup of tofu has about 7g protein

*Tempah
    Varies by brand, but as a guideline, one serving of tempeh (100 grams) provides about 18 grams of protein

source:
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well I bought some yogurt (the Greek had less protein so went for the higher protein option) had it with some protein shake powder and berries and it was ok!

I have met my target over the last 3 days and I am trying to plan more earlier in the day and make use of the protein shake stuff I have by sneaking it in stuff and then buying some whey when I run out.

What is up with all the Jelly beans. I have never seen sugar intake like that on MFP before. Not that it really matters unless it is stopping you from getting enough fat and protein.
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love meat. I find it easy to get enough protein unless I'm too tired to cook. I find lunch frustrating because the stuff at work it very carb heavy rather than protein heavy. I also eat greek yogurt. I don't like plain but discovered that vanilla is very good and isn't as sugary as fruit flavored ones.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    P28 all the way!!!
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What is up with all the Jelly beans. I have never seen sugar intake like that on MFP before. Not that it really matters unless it is stopping you from getting enough fat and protein.

I don't know - I am just addicted to the darned things! I know I should cut them out, I am intending to do it when I finish the bag I have on the go.
  • Jennilyn79
    Jennilyn79 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In addition to high protein meats, nuts, etc. I supplement with Pure protein shakes 23gm 120cal everyday and whey protein when I lift. It is hard to get higher amount of protein in sometime so I find these to be great additives
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    meat, dairy, and the occasional protein shake