Some should use the money on bettering themselves.....

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    They take pride in owning the best of the best. Like men with expensive cars. Or taking the blue ribbon at the county fair for having the biggest pumpkin. Most of us spend time and money on things others are going to find pointless and ridiculous.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    the ironic thing is that i've quite often heard the exact same argument made against bodybuilding:

"Why are they spending so much money on gym memberships/home gym equipment??? They aren't rich, they should be spending that money on paying their bills! SELFISH!"

"Why are they spending so much money on personal trainers??? All weight lifting is, is 'pick up weight, put weight down, rinse and repeat'! Who can't figure that out on their own and for free? STUPID!"

"Why do they spend so much time working out??? They should be spending all that precious time with their kids! WASTEFUL!"

"Why waste all that time in order to try to look a certain way??? We're all gonna get old and wrinkly! And health? Please, we're all gonna die, too! And all to look a certain way! VAIN!"

kinda funny how judgy some people are for different things, and yet it's all pretty much for the same basic reasons.

also, most show dog owners hire handlers to show the dogs. the people you see in dog shows actually showing the dogs are probably handlers, not owners. now as to why these handlers don't meet your own personal standards of physical fitness or attractiveness is another story. i suggest you ask them yourself.
    Please, don't me started on bodybuilding. I started out natural body building and was shocked at hearing how much many of the guys spend on "gear" alone. I could never afford it, so I never did it (although at the time if I did have the money, I probably would have).
    As for the remark on personal trainers, it's NOT just about lifting a weight an putting it down. There are lots of people in the gym without trainers who ABSOLUTELY do it wrong and many who are wondering why they aren't progressing after months and months of doing it. So a person with this thought probably thinks they got it all figured out. That's not to say that some don't, but I'm more than betting if people could afford a personal trainer, they'd like to have one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Even natural bodybuilding is expensive.
    Could be if one is spending all their money on supplements. Luckily with today's access to actual studies, lots of people who approach now needn't spend for much more than protein powder and creatine.

IDEA Fitness member

Which is all I bought. Plus food, plus coach, plus suit, plus shoes, plus gym membership, plus tanning, plus esthetics, plus travel(for some), plus entry fees.

And there are a lot more optional things that people spend more money on.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    These people are bettering themselves and their life by having a hobby, interest or whatever (not that it matters but dog ownership may also be healthy).

While these people should also be focusing on their health...spending money on a dog doesn't preclude or even effect that IMO.

If someone is spending 5K a month on a dog, they can afford healthy food and a gym membership :laugh:

I think OP just can't believe people spend that much money on a dog. That's a pretty common opinion, but the tie to physical health seems somewhat random.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It's their hobby. All people should spend money on their health and well being, but they don't. It's no different than the guy who spends money collecting rare comics or the gamer spending $60 a pop on Xbox games. Unless it's taking so much money away from their kids and family that they suffer (I.e. Skimping on groceries or clothing) then I don't give a damn what they do with their money. Unless they are feeding their kids ramen daily in order to afford their particular hobby, I don't see an issue.
  • superasianwoman
    Options
    ^^^^^ maybe OP has no money so he has no clue. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ maybe OP has no money so he has no clue. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

hey SAW... where have you been hiding?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

He also assumes that if they did give up their hobby, that they would in turn take up lifting and cardio. Some people (most maybe) don't care to be fit and lean. If they did, they would be.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Rather than their pets. Reading an article on show dogs a while back, some spent as much as $5000 a month to keep their dog fed, groomed, housed and trained. Mind you it's not doing tricks like "roll over" or "jump through the hoop", but just how to trot and stop and stand still.
    So I see this cost and look at the physical shape of the owner and facepalm. Many obviously don't take as good as care of themselves as their dog. I'll never understand it even though many have tried to explain the why, I still can't help but wonder why they care more about the dog than themselves.
    A child or relative, I can see since they can carry on genes and legacy. I do get that one can get very attached to an animal, but fail to see how one puts that animals health and well being over their own.

Okay, I'm ready for the animal lovers to bash me now.

IDEA Fitness member

Lol why should they? It's their money, it's their business. Just because it appears that you judge people on what they look like, perhaps they don't....

Hmpft 2 ways to respond, either for this post or against it...I am on both sides of the fence...to look at obesity and judge it as "not taking care of oneself" quite the contrary...I've worn the expensive clothing and shoes, the expensive perfumes and makeups...I take care of myself paying close attention to the fact that being obese MAY cause an undesired or unwanted scent from profusely sweating (a whole different posting in itself!!)...anyways, I did all of that so to say that some spend more on their dogs then themselves is wrong.

HOWEVER, the other side of the fence makes me think of some of the people I see who ARE obese, who go out in public in their damn flannel Old Navy pajama bottoms and ripped tshirts wearing a messed up bun while sporting their North Face and UGG boots with little Princess sporting the Paris Hilton dog bag and pink collar with the bling on it coming from the dog groomer, and I think to myself, what the hell is wrong with people and society?!?!?! (sorry about my run on sentence...Its a forum, I'm venting too! LOL)

So I see your point as a personal trainer. I see both sides and I agree with you but I'm also somewhat against you. It is an indiviudal based approach that MOST people you are describing fail to see as an unbalanced thought, living process. I took my cigarette money, I took my daily fast food money and I put it all into my new lifestyle and a personal trainer, I spend about $350 a month on the gym and trainer and I'm at the grocery store for fresh produce 1-2 times a week at a hundred bucks a pop...it's really hard trying to explain or justify to those you've described above WHY or HOW you can afford such things. ( I get questioned about this all the time..) But in all again I go back to it's an individual approach and until those realize it, they will never do anything to change it... hmpft...sorry for my rant, I liked this post enough to respond...thanks.

So yeah
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    FTR, I'm not a pet person. All pets I have owned in the past were well loved and cared for. BUT, I have never, and will never, max out my credit cards to extend or save the life of an animal. I do not place animals on the same level as my kids. Others do, that's great, but I don't feel the same. To each their own.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Rather than their pets. Reading an article on show dogs a while back, some spent as much as $5000 a month to keep their dog fed, groomed, housed and trained. Mind you it's not doing tricks like "roll over" or "jump through the hoop", but just how to trot and stop and stand still.
    So I see this cost and look at the physical shape of the owner and facepalm. Many obviously don't take as good as care of themselves as their dog. I'll never understand it even though many have tried to explain the why, I still can't help but wonder why they care more about the dog than themselves.
    A child or relative, I can see since they can carry on genes and legacy. I do get that one can get very attached to an animal, but fail to see how one puts that animals health and well being over their own.

IDEA Fitness member

They pay a lot of money to put braces on them too, so they can win in dog shows and their pups will be worth more money. Because, you know, superior genetics. *rollie eyes*
  • WontShareChocolate
    Options
    Personally I don't get the whole pure bred thing to begin with. I'm a veterinary assistant and see countless pure bred animals brought in because of genetic health problems just because people have an obsession with playing all powerful creator and making everything around them suit their own needs. English Bulldogs can't even have puppies naturally anymore because they've been bred to have such large heads and narrow hips that to try to deliver a litter naturally can literally kill them. Same with chihuahua's and other toy breeds. AND the AKC has rules against altered animals entering their competitions so you cannot get your animal spayed or neutered in order to show. This only perpetuates the continuation of the breeding and selling of these animals while the gene pool gets smaller and smaller.

What's wrong with going to your local shelter and rescuing an animal that desperately needs a home? Mixed breed dogs tend to live 5-8 years longer than a pure bred animal, they are usually already fixed as part of their adoption fee, and in general don't encounter the severe health issues that many pure breed dogs do, thus lowering the expenses of the owner exponentially. AND, they love you just the same or even more because you gave them a second chance.

Hell, why not turn all the dogs loose and let them live the way "nature intended"? As long as we're doing away with man playing all powerful creator we shouldn't be domesticating animals at all. Then we'd have more time to spend looking good for ninerbuff.

Wow. Way to take something intended to be educational and run off a bridge with it. Do you not realize that dogs domesticated themselves basically. But what do I know. I only have a career in animal welfare.

Career. At 24.

And you have no idea what my background is.

Dogs basically domesticated themselves? That's weird, the next time I see a Dingo I'm going to try to pet it :D. I always thought dogs were a sub species of wolves, I also thought wolves just took advantage of the situations with humans and their scraps and weren't actually ever domesticated they were just opportunists.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    the ironic thing is that i've quite often heard the exact same argument made against bodybuilding:

"Why are they spending so much money on gym memberships/home gym equipment??? They aren't rich, they should be spending that money on paying their bills! SELFISH!"

"Why are they spending so much money on personal trainers??? All weight lifting is, is 'pick up weight, put weight down, rinse and repeat'! Who can't figure that out on their own and for free? STUPID!"

"Why do they spend so much time working out??? They should be spending all that precious time with their kids! WASTEFUL!"

"Why waste all that time in order to try to look a certain way??? We're all gonna get old and wrinkly! And health? Please, we're all gonna die, too! And all to look a certain way! VAIN!"

kinda funny how judgy some people are for different things, and yet it's all pretty much for the same basic reasons.

also, most show dog owners hire handlers to show the dogs. the people you see in dog shows actually showing the dogs are probably handlers, not owners. now as to why these handlers don't meet your own personal standards of physical fitness or attractiveness is another story. i suggest you ask them yourself.
    Please, don't me started on bodybuilding. I started out natural body building and was shocked at hearing how much many of the guys spend on "gear" alone. I could never afford it, so I never did it (although at the time if I did have the money, I probably would have).
    As for the remark on personal trainers, it's NOT just about lifting a weight an putting it down. There are lots of people in the gym without trainers who ABSOLUTELY do it wrong and many who are wondering why they aren't progressing after months and months of doing it. So a person with this thought probably thinks they got it all figured out. That's not to say that some don't, but I'm more than betting if people could afford a personal trainer, they'd like to have one.

IDEA Fitness member

Could be if one is spending all their money on supplements. Luckily with today's access to actual studies, lots of people who approach now needn't spend for much more than protein powder and creatine.

IDEA Fitness member

Which is all I bought. Plus food, plus coach, plus suit, plus shoes, plus gym membership, plus tanning, plus esthetics, plus travel(for some), plus entry fees.

Let's face it, females spend WAY more than men do on actual contests. Most men don't have coaches, buy expensive competition wear, nor make up, etc. That's not to say that it can't get expensive for competitors, but competitors maybe compete a couple of times a year. So it's not an "regular" monthly cost like supplements (with the exception of gym, food and coach).
    I took the approach to body building remark as to what most non competitive people would spend on it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Maybe YOU should get a life and do something better with YOUR time than post random crap about other people who decide to do this...seriously, you want to judge and make comments about their lives and health and you know nothing about them. SHUT UP and focus on your own life you self righteous bag.
    Lol, I've read some of your posts hun. Start with your own advice.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I live in one of the most expensive areas in the Bay Area. I do fine, but thanks for your concern.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's ON! You asked for it Buff:laugh:

This is why I can't stay off of this Message Board!! LOL!

I love this junk
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

They pay a lot of money to put braces on them too, so they can win in dog shows and their pups will be worth more money. Because, you know, superior genetics. *rollie eyes*
    I had to google it to believe it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Let's face it, females spend WAY more than men do on actual contests. Most men don't have coaches, buy expensive competition wear, nor make up, etc. That's not to say that it can't get expensive for competitors, but competitors maybe compete a couple of times a year. So it's not an "regular" monthly cost like supplements (with the exception of gym, food and coach).
    I took the approach to body building remark as to what most non competitive people would spend on it.

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Women do spend more, and I tried to leave out most stuff that cost women more. Esthetics, thats an option for guys, you can shave or wax, I don't know what the popular one is. I didn't include makeup in the tally. Men don't have to buy shoes but suits can still cost money.
    I guess it comes down to what you consider expensive. But hey, isn't that the whole point of this thread in general.

Bodybuilding was expensive for me and I was hardly competitive. But I am also eyeing a new tri bike and gear that will put those costs to shame.
    If only there was a Schutzhund club around here....
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

hey SAW... where have you been hiding?

Is this the same person that posted the rant about people using fake profile pics?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Rather than their pets.

Or expensive cell phone, cars, clothes, eating out, or anything we might label wasteful.

And people should know better, right? Just like not smoking, eating right, exercising, that life isn't like a beer commercial, or that if we all got over being self-centered we could advance the world ten fold of where it is today in just one year.

Anyway...
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have come realize that my goals are NOT your goals. And my reasons for doing things are NOT yours.

My "purpose" is unique to me, and I spend my money to achieve that purpose. Just as my family doesn't understand mine, but they accept me and it anyways... I do the same for them.

If someone wants to spend the money on their dog, it's their money. Let them be.

Take off the judgey pants and add another set of weights to your bar.
    :smile:
    Oh trust that I could really care less what people want to do with their money. There way more odd things that people spend a lot of money on that trumps this.
    Lol, and I'm on a deload phase right now.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

You cared so little that you started a thread.

He said he could care less, which means he could care less but chooses not too and rants on forums about it
    Not a rant, but an opinion. Having an opinion on something doesn't mean I have to care about it. For example: I don't believe in god. I could really care less if people do or not. See how that works?
    What it seems that people really care about on the forums is if an opinion isn't agreed upon, some get butthurt over it and try to discredit the person stating the opinion.
    You disagree, I'm cool with that. So just disagree, but don't try to analyze why I post what I post as if you actually know me.
    And no I'm not butthurt about it.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member

Actually I was just poking fun at your use of "could" instead of couldn't care less. But then I screwed it all up by saying too instead of to.......