Frustrated with nonMFP people!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Munchie days or food fests are part of office culture to make people fall into the bs that we are a family... work is boring , people love to eat. I had to deal with that at my former job and there was never anything healthy ever. I finally just ignored it and brought my own food on those days, ate it and if I wanted one treat I would make sure I brought that too. Never touched the office contributions, funny how after that most people get sore throats, or the flu, yeah... no thanks.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options

just approach them and say "guize...lemme come to lunch with you"
    you can even do it in a joking way to lighten it up a bit...
    "i know i eat pretty healthy, but i DO eat, and i'd love to come to the restaurant brainstorms" (or something)

i like this approach :)

I like this one too! They probably think they are saving you from temptation.
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    But hey, you and I are different.

That much we can agree on.

Well..you can be as smug as you want..obviously the guy trying to lose 68 pounds (according to the counter) has always been in charge of his food intake rather than having some sort of problem controlling himself. I am sure you have a logical reason..like you WANTED to be 70 lbs overweight..so hey..I commend you for getting there and your for journey back down. Take care , sir. Im not looking for any enemies..just wanna lose some weight. Good luck on those last pounds!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    We had a potluck lunch at work today and it was awesome but it was also more than half my calorie goal for the day - and I thought I did well with my portions - I had the least amount of food on my plate out of the entire group. I like to eat and socialize with my co workers but it's hard to say NO to treats sometimes so it's not something I would want to do every day.
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think more is coming out of this than I meant to. I only work with 3 people so it's not that big a deal. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing it as well. I think I'm just really shocked at how much food rules people's worlds. I think maybe I was like that before and seeing it now just drives me crazy! I don't for a minute think my coworkers don't like me so that's a moot point. I can also see that a lot of people are commenting before reading all of what I wrote.. I never say no and I have full control over my eating now so going out isn't a big deal at all, maybe I just need to prove that. I'm going to arrange something ;)

You say "EVERYONE IN MY OFFICE" and it's only 3 people???

Your OP made it seem like there was this huge group going off everyday leaving you all alone.

I have a coworker who recently discovered she's got celiac's disease. I now HATE going out to eat with her because it's such a production. It would be one thing if she would just order her food like a normal person and be done with it. She lectures the server on her disease. She insists on speaking with a manager to let THEM know about her disease and how important it is that they be careful with her food. Add then she lectures everyone at the table on all the toxins in the food and water and what not. We don't want to hear that when we're eating! It's draining.

So when you say seeing it now drives you crazy, do you let them know it drives you crazy?
  • Shelley6591
    Shelley6591 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Well 3 people is my entire office, I said everyone and it is...

I don't lecture at all and I would be fine to just eat whatever and I can deal with it later. I never talk about food or preach, I can't stand people that do. I promise I'm not like that at all, I would never lecture a server either.... I think it really just is a case of asking to tag along. They did recently tell me they respected me enough to not offer me junk, I think that was my opportunity to say I still have to live too ;)

I swear I'm not sitting in the corner crying, if you knew me at all you would all see I'm an extremely positive person. I just wish people knew that watching what you eat doesn't mean you can't live, I did that before, it doesn't work long term. :drinker:
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your work situation.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I changed the way I now eat to realize everything everyone does involves food.

My wife is pure Italian and I can't go over to her moms house!! She is now eating like me due to a heart attack and has a hard time with family get togethers. They always bug here into "just a bite if this".

lol

It's a shame when people shove food at even those who need to restrict or abstain for medical reasons. I've seen people push heavy sweets on diabetics working hard to control their blood sugars.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that's how it's going or is that how you perceive it to be?

Maybe it's nothing but sitting in the office all day totally alone while the others are in the other one stuffing their faces makes me feel this way.

This sounds more like the real issue. You're not upset that they are eating and you're not. You're upset that you're not part of the clique.

Which is fine, but preemptively assigning all these negative traits towards them isn't going to make them want to hang with you. If you want to hang with them, hang. If you don't, don't.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It sounds like they care... they love that you are self improving and they most do not think it is right or fair of them to eat in front of you... so maybe YOU need to take action, start off by saying hey guys I just wanted to let you know how much it means to me that you are considerate of my weight journey and don't ask me to go eat or snack in front of me... although now I'm at a point where I can eat out so next time please let me join you...

as for snacks, can't you bring something healthy and low calorie to share? I think once they start seeing you are OK they will become friendlier again.
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options

It's possible that your "discipline" seems to them more like unnecessary restriction and is a total buzz kill for them.

I agree with this^^^. I am by NO means a weight loss guru, but I do know food IS that important. Break down what many holidays/celebrations are and it is about food. Promotion? Go out for dinner! Graduate? party with lots of food. Birthday? party with goodies! even meetings usually have food and coffee attached to them!

MY guess would be the same as above. If they enjoy their food and they see you being bummed, why ask you? if you were going to a concert, you wouldn't want to to bring someone who doesn't like the performer. would you? If you knew someone didn't like drinking, would you ask them to a bar for a few drinks? You MUST be giving off some sort of vibes that you wouldn't enjoy being with them during these events. If they like you as you say they do, you HAVE to be giving off signals for them to act this way.

Best bet IMHO: ask them to go next time. OR bring in treats/goodies that they enjoy AND you feel good about eating. There are lots of great recipes online for yummy AND healthy baked goods and snacks.

Best of luck to you!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If you're a strong person, and it sounds like you are, why can't you still enjoy spending time with them and just ignore the food? Let them shove their faces with garbage. You don't have to eat to be their friend or have fun.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When people push food on me, I just keep saying no thanks. Eventually they back off. "Hey there's some cookies in the break room!" ... "No thanks." "They're really good!!" "No thanks, I'm good." "They're made with sugar, lard and double fudge lard!" "No thanks."

The blank stare and robot words usually stop them after the the third try :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Eating and socializing isn't one of North Americas shining accomplishments, it's actually been degrading from one generation to the next.

Our dinner table.

hqdefault.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I think more is coming out of this than I meant to. I only work with 3 people so it's not that big a deal. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing it as well. I think I'm just really shocked at how much food rules people's worlds. I think maybe I was like that before and seeing it now just drives me crazy! I don't for a minute think my coworkers don't like me so that's a moot point. I can also see that a lot of people are commenting before reading all of what I wrote.. I never say no and I have full control over my eating now so going out isn't a big deal at all, maybe I just need to prove that. I'm going to arrange something ;)
    it almost seems like food is ruling YOUR world...like you can't relax and eat things you consider "bad"

people are just trying to have a conversation and the more we know the better we can respond.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. Telling us is not going to solve the problem. You have to have a conversation with the people you work with. Either that or learn to not be hurt by them leaving to go eat without you. Those are your only choices.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    ...is food really that big of a deal?!

Communal eating is a cornerstone of human culture. Always has been, probably always will be.
    Well said.

Agreed. It's part of every culture. IF you can't enjoy eating with others then the problem may very well be found in the mirror.