Almond Milk..is it good?

Options
allana1111
allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
Never tried almond milk but have heard good things! What is it good with for low calorie snacks? Any tips?

Replies

• train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've never had it but if I did, I'd have it with Special K Chocolatey Delight Cereal. It is awesome and 120 cals :)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Ive had almond milk - Its very low calories and good for you! Yummy too - A lot more nicer than normal milk

I love it best when its cold straight from the fridge

Also nice with porridge oats
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    ALMOND MILK IS THE BOMB. Lol. I like almond breeze the best and it is amazing in a low cal smoothie, cereal, or just by itself! :smile:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love it on cereal and steel cut oats. I use the unsweetened or make my own.
    It is lower calorie than skim milk.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I like it. They sell containers small enough to be just one serving. I suggest buying a few of those to see which ones you like best.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love it! I never really cared for the taste of cow's milk, so I was more than happy to try almond milk. I am particular about the one I buy, it's the Almond Breeze 60 calorie unsweetened one. Fortunately this comes in the refrigerated and shelf stable milk sections of my store, so I can always find it. I occasionally by the vanilla one to eat with cereal, but I use the unflavored one in my breakfast shake.
  • jj102201
    jj102201 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it! I get Silk Unsweetened Vanilla. It's low cal and delicious. I use it in protein shakes, oatmeal, smoothies, etc. I tried a couple different brands and varieties before I decided on Silk Unsweetened Vanilla. Try several different ones to see which one you like best. It can make a big difference. Good luck and enjoy!
  • joyrob65
    Options
    Love it and very low calories (30 per serving)! I use silk unsweetened vanilla also. It is great in cereals and just for a glass of milk! Haven't tried substituting in cooking though, not sure if it would change the flavor of food. Has anyone tried replacing it in meals such as hamburger helper or any other meals?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You'll have to try it. I hate it in cereal, but it's fine in smoothies/shakes.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I use it with my protein powder. I've recently discovered Silk Dark Chocolate Almond milk and I love it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I love the Almond Breeze brand.. I tried Silk but it was too thick and nutty for me. The Almond Breeze is more the consistency of regular milk but tastier and with fewer calories.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love it . Like to have it in smoothies, tea, on it's own or in a recipe. I use the Alpro Almond Milk Unsweetened.
  • brendag50
    brendag50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love it and very low calories (30 per serving)! I use silk unsweetened vanilla also. It is great in cereals and just for a glass of milk! Haven't tried substituting in cooking though, not sure if it would change the flavor of food. Has anyone tried replacing it in meals such as hamburger helper or any other meals?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've tried just about every "milk" out there. I love the Dark Chocolate Almond Milk; it's my dessert often (100/cup). I don't know if almond milk is healthier than regular milk or not. I think that's a matter of opinion and depends on what you are doing.

I'll buy the unsweetened almond milk to put in my coffee. It's very low in cals (30/cup); and makes the coffee a little creamy. The downside is there is very little protein. It's also a little thin for my taste to just drink straight.

I found a flax milk that has added protein (5 grams/cup vs. the 1/cup of almond milk). I can only get the flax milk at the health good store, so if I can get up there...I'll but that instead.

However if I am going all out and eating cookies, I'm drinking regular milk 1 or 2% with them!
  • brendag50
    brendag50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used the plain in cooking and it works wonderfully. Does not change the flavor at all.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i have it in all my protein shakes and with cereal. unsweetened almond milk. 30 calories for 8 oz. cant say i enjoy it by itself tho.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!!
    I hated milk as a kid so I had to take Tums for calcium....wish my mom had known about it 28 years ago!
    My fav is Almond Breeze brand. I drink chocolate almond breeze every day. makes me happy :bigsmile:
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk and use it in my smoothies and on cereal. As other posters have pointed out, Almond Breeze Unsweetened is good taste and calorie wise. They also have a low cal chocolate version if you get bored. I'm not sure if you have Costco near you but it can be a bit pricy when you buy one carton at a time but they sell it in 6 packs (shelf safe) at a bargain price.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love to put it in a breakfast green smoothie I make.
    Try it. It really is not bad. They do have it in flavors but I like the unflavored, unsweet version. It has 30 cal/cup or the sweet flavored is 60-90/cup
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Way better than rice milk ( too watery) or hazelnut milk (just bizarre). It is fab in lattes, cereal/oats and as shakes and is low in cals - happy days :)