High protein = High fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,746 Member
    Options
    Beans and legumes will help you meet your goals as well. I love Amy's Organic Soups, especially the Black Bean Vegetable and runner up's the Lentil Vegetable. They are a bit smaller than an average soup can so if you ate the whole thing, the black bean would be 12g protein and 3g fat, Lentil 14 g protein and 8 fat. Even if you don't care for those flavors, using some black beans in a wrap or on a salad would help. I like to put chicken or tuna on a salad, or turkey lettuce wraps would be a good way to get lower fat protein into your diet.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I often find myself in the same boat, even with a reasonably high fat goal (my macros are based on weight/LBM, but they work out to approximately 40% fat, 30% protein and 30% carbs). I am by no means afraid of fat, saturated or not. I think that my problem comes in that I tend to make a point to eat a decent amount of "good" fats (olive oil, almonds, avocado, etc), so that even a moderate amount of fat associated with animal protein sources sends me over.

I've found it worthwhile to actually go for reduced-fat products in certain applications, primarily dairy. I don't eat a lot of dairy, but when I do, it's low-fat or fat-free. I also try to focus on leaner meats when possible - lean cuts of beef, pork, chicken. I feel like that way I get a better protein to fat ratio on my animal protein sources, and it allows me enough room to enjoy my fats from vegetable sources.

Edited to add: I try to keep my fat macro in line not because I think I should eat less fat, I just want to be able to eat more carbs!! Lol.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the issue is that you're getting your protein from sources that also contain a lot of fat. That doesn't have to be the case. My main sources of lean protein are chicken breast, ground chicken or turkey (I try to get the 93% lean kind), canned tuna, and low or nonfat Greek yogurt. Low or nonfat cottage cheese has lots of protein, too, though sometimes I eat it a lot and then get sick of it for awhile.

With eggs, I used to just do egg whites, but I missed the richness of the yolks, so I went back to eating whole eggs. When I eat them hardboiled, I take the yolks out because I don't like them. If you eat a lot of eggs, you might try a mix of whole and just whites, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about that.

It's also worth considering whether you should raise your fat macro a bit. As someone else said, fat isn't the enemy.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to hit a 25% or higher protein macro, you'll learn real quick that legumes (other than soybeans) and nuts/nut butters are carb and fat sources, respectively.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with fat, as long as it's the healthy kind (unsaturated).
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    remember that the protein that your body doesn't use up turns into fat too :D
    Nope
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/excess-protein-and-fat-storage-qa.html
  • dwt122
    Options
    As many before have stated, there are plenty of options to choose from...

egg whites
    lentils
    kidney beans
    sardines
    tuna
    salmon
    fat free greek yogurt
    fat free cottage cheese
    skinless chicken
    lean beef and turkey
    protein powder (whey or casein...they have non-gmo and natural varieties although they cost more)

if u are going over your daily fat allowance, obviously minimize the amount of high fat foods such as nut butters. yes it's healthy, but also high in fat content which is probably contributing to going over your fat per day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm blessed to have a personal trainer as a close friend and she has given me tips on losing weight. She said I need to get protein at every meal to keep my energy up all day. Here's my conundrum: When I get my protein, my fat goes over. So far today I have logged good natural sources of protein: sardines, almond butter, eggs and veggies. I still need 33 protein but have gone over fat by 6 already.

Do I just ignore the fat for the most part so long as I'm getting these natural sources of protein? Are MFPs settings off? It makes me wonder if they're set to comply to a person eating "diet foods" and I try to eat mainly "clean" and always run into problems with the fat and sugar in my log due to this.

Thanks!

For one thing, dietary fat doesn't make you fat and is an essential macro...20-30% of your diet at minimum should be coming from dietary fat.

Secondly, your protein sources above are really better sources of healthy dietary fat than protein (not necessarily a bad thing)...and while these things do have protein, you really want to look to lean meats and poultry, greek yogurt, whey, cottage cheese, etc as better protein sources with minimal fat.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with fat, as long as it's the healthy kind (unsaturated).

saturated fat is not "unhealthy"...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

Actually saturated fat is a very healthy source of energy. It is the building block of your cell walls and hormones. I eat tons of saturated fat and my triglycerides were 57 and HDL 82, basically an ideal lipid profile.
  • LateOverWeight
    LateOverWeight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So many great replies, thanks so much! :smile: For today, I went ahead and ditched the almond butter (I don't even like it, I'm a peanut butter girl). We're out of PB right now. That put me back to having 10 grams of fat left that I can use for dinner which I'll probably have tuna.

You're not going to get me to ditch my precious egg yolks, but I try to limit to 2 eggs daily (plus I breastfeed so I use that as an excuse for the extra egg).

I really like the suggestions for cottage cheese and greek yogurt, love those. Plus, we have about 20 different types of dry beans and lentils around here that I seriously need to start cooking more of and totally forgot about the protein in them. I have four kids, my brain is mush.

p.s. Don't worry, I deduct cals-fat-protein in my log for nursing my 7 m/o which gives me extra daily. She is also getting nutrition from baby food now. One reason I eat clean is to keep my milk healthy for her. I was gaining weight so I had to start paying attention to my cals.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    It is really easy to get a normal amount of protein without all the fat, if one looks at those cultures that still eat mostly whole foods.
    Since I live in Mexico I get a lot of my protein from beans and rice, chick peas, full fat dairy as an addition to those food( as in a sprinkling of cheese on top of enchiladas, or one spoon of cream thinned with a bit of water over sopes, plain yogurt instead of cream ) , fish ( often in the form of canned tuna or sardines ), whole eggs, tofu and tofu products and the occasional chicken. I eat no beef and pork only a very few times ( maybe twice ) a month. I eat avocados moderately and eat no nuts whatsoever, because they use up too many calories for the 1200 calories ( due to age and height...) and because they are not part of the daily diet and for the price of a pound of nuts ( over 20 dollars ) I can get better for me foods.
    It is also not necessary that one needs to eat super high amounts of protein as a high performance athletes would, because most of us are not. Your friend is right that it is a good idea to eat protein with each meal, but it does not have to be a lot.
    Because of my age and because I only exercise moderately ( on average a 40 minute walk each day ) I eat the WHO recommended amount of protein which is a base amount of 46 grs per day for women between 20-70, but often eat a bit more and get to anywhere from 45- 60grs. The rule is .5 gr minimum per pound of Lean Body Mass .
    I avoid all non-beneficial fats, have exchanged baking for frying ( poach eggs instead of frying them in any kind of fat ) and seem to have no problem keeping my fat intake at a normal level and frequently under my planned amount. If I am over, I don't worry, because I am usually over from beneficial fats .
    I think the trick is to eat all foods that have protein and not just meat and dairy .
    What saves me when I need extra protein are those pouches with tuna. They are usually 70grs/2.5oz of tuna, have less than 60 calories and 11 grs of protein and 0.30 grs ( that is one third gram...almost nothing ) of fat. I mix them with a cup of mixed frozen veggies ( 26 calories , no fat to speak of ) some lemon/lime juice and have a protein boost for way less than 100 calories. Even with two pouches of tuna and 22 grs of protein I still come in under 150 grams.

ETA: I also often make a salad with black beans, onion, tomato, cilantro/parsley and tuna, which gives a double whammy of protein because of the tuna and the beans with almost no fat to speak of.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

saturated fat is not "unhealthy"...
    And where are you going to find a source of unsaturated fat that doesn't have saturated fat in it....not too many choices, if any.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    low fat cottage cheese, low fat Greek yogurt, lean meats (ham, turkey, etc), Egg whites, Low MF% milk products, etc.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit, it doesn't matter how much dietary fat you have.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Try different protien.. chicken breast has almost no fat..
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    remember that the protein that your body doesn't use up turns into fat too :D

Please be trolling.