Don't call it a cheat day

Options
2»

Replies

• mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In another thread someone challenged me that cheat days are a hindrance no matter how I use them (just by their calorie dense nature). For me - who has tried this many times - having a night every two months or so where I can get my rockstar on, don't log **** and don't let it bother me has been key to me being able to sustain this long term.

At the end of the day I do what works for me to sustain a long term deficit. Days, weeks...even months aren't that important in the long run...at least in my particular situation.

This is my "key" this time around. Every time I've "restarted" this I've upped my calories. It is so much easier to sustain this way, and I'm happier. I know I need to give myself a year to reach my goal, and so I keep trying to look forward. There are some days I just don't count, or I just know I'm going over, but I get back on track the next day.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Someone has a lot of time on their hands today.....
  • KrissyRawrz
    KrissyRawrz Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the sound of treat day :) drooling at the thought of it lol
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yes!

One of the greatest gifts I've ever given myself was to finally, finally get to the point where I've ceased looking at food choices through a prism of morality.

I own everything that I put in my mouth. None of it makes me feel "guilty" or like I'm "cheating". Considering how much guilt and shame I use to associate with food on a daily basis, this is enormous. And so damn liberating.
  • cfl68
    cfl68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Absolutely Correct. That "dieting" mentality and "cheat" meal is what keeps the yoyo weight, health going. It is definitely a lifestyle change that makes this process a success. For me I tell myself I have to "BURN to EARN" If I want something "special" that day, I better make room for those calories. LOL!!!
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Okay, okay.... chill... To those who feel like I am being judgemental about what you call it please know that is not my intention. I just made this post to lighten things up and be positive. It's just my own personal feeling on it. It is meant to be lighthearted and fun so please watch those stress levels :smile: We don't need to get into the technical terms and specific discussion about calories in and out do we? jeez... :laugh:

I totally get what you were saying. Saying treat day does sound better than a cheat day.:drinker:
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I also think the concept of binging or treating for an entire day is a bad one. Make it a treat snack or a treat meal.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days, but I do do "IIFYM" days, which feels like a treat day to me.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    Agreed, I don't do cheat days either. I also don't log my exercise, giving myself a "reward" of more calories for exercise is counterproductive for me. That being said, when I go over on my 1450 Calorie suggested intake, I don't stress about it, I log it, and get over it. I do believe it's important to incorporate your favorite foods into your day or week without considering them "cheats" or "guilty pleasures"
  • billdavismqt
    billdavismqt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To me a cheat day is when you don't record everything you eat. My contract with myself is to record food and exercise as accurately as possible. If I go over (or under) my calorie goal for that day I try to learn from that. It's kind of like taking my temperature, if it's too far over or under I need to pay attention and adjust things
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I agree. The occasional treat is part of a healthy lifestyle if you enjoy treats, imho. The emphasis is on occasional! That's why I do call them something; they are unusual and should be spaced out. That's my problem when I don't log or think about my diet. I have too many days where I treat myself to something extra. I can't be doing that :D

Edit: oh, and I don't mean IIFYM kinds of regular stuff. I mean a bigger treat.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i'd rather have a treat once a day that fits in my calorie goals than dedicate a whole day to 'cheating'. so for me every day is cheat/treat day. :P
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yes!

One of the greatest gifts I've ever given myself was to finally, finally get to the point where I've ceased looking at food choices through a prism of morality.

I own everything that I put in my mouth. None of it makes me feel "guilty" or like I'm "cheating". Considering how much guilt and shame I use to associate with food on a daily basis, this is enormous. And so damn liberating.

This is so awesome. It's basically what I've come to realize, and the only thing that has enabled me to do this "right" this time.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    i'd rather have a treat once a day that fits in my calorie goals than dedicate a whole day to 'cheating'. so for me every day is cheat/treat day. :P

I would rather have both... that's where I get into trouble ;)
  • uptightoutasight
    uptightoutasight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Did anybody else read the title in the style of "Don't call it a comeback!" ?

Just me?

:embarassed:
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Yes! Doing this has let me feel much better about becoming healthy and active this time. I track daily and I track even on special occasions where I know I'm going to go over my daily limit (definitely like tonight)...But I don't feel bad about it and seeing that red number for today will push me to be extra good in my food choices and workout tomorrow!
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    oh i like that! "treat day" makes me feel less like i am doing something wrong and more like i've earned a special something. as long as its only once in a while of course! I think i'm going to start calling it a treat day as well.