Am I the only one who HATES comments on my loss?

Options

Replies

• suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have only told my husband, a lady at work, and MFP that I am trying to lose weight. I don't want the empathy. I just want to move on. Yesterday, I even made my husband promise that he wouldn't tell.
  • Sierrx
    Options
    I know what you mean. As a woman, you just always get so many unsolicited comments about your looks. Whether it's positive or negative, it makes me feel uncomfortable, too. Like it's my duty to look a certain way.
    So true.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have only told my husband, a lady at work, and MFP that I am trying to lose weight. I don't want the empathy. I just want to move on. Yesterday, I even made my husband promise that he wouldn't tell.

I'm keeping quiet about it too - it's a bit awkward tracking calories "secretly" when I have a roommate, lol :b When ever she isn't home, I quickly weigh all the things I plan to eat, lol :b Or sometimes I'll pretend to be following a recipe, so that I need the scale
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When family or friends comment on it, I do appreciate it but I have NO idea what to say..

"You've lost loads of weight!" .. thanks? They are just stating.. so do I respond with I know or thanks or what, I still don't know, probably over thinking it.
    ach well
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying and perhaps it's because you don't want your weight (or weight loss) to define you. You are a woman, a professional, a friend...not simply someone who is managing her weight. Just a thought.

I think this could be true. Intersting.

For me it's this coupled with the notion that the invasive and/or public spectacle type comments/discussion make it feel as though my body is somehow public property. It isn't. It's my body to do with as I please. I'm proud of the work I've done to lose weight/gain fitness and health, and I do generally enjoy a nod here and there to acknowledge that. But the people that go on and on, or somehow feel that it's acceptable to touch me or make an enormous production out of things make it seem as though my body is theirs to do with and comment on as they please, in addition to negating the multitude of other qualities I have.

It's not a passing "hey, you look great" or even "wow, how much have you lost?" Or even "how did you do it?". Those are nice. It's the ones that go on and on or make a huge production in a crowded room or the ones that think it's somehow totally acceptable to touch and feel. It's uncomfortable and it does bother me. Yes, I look very different. Yes, I'm much healthier. No, you may not touch me and no it's not your business to broadcast my weight loss to the world.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If someone says they can tell that I've lost, I don't mind it at all.. but when someone asks me what I'm doing to lose weight, I want to crawl in a hole and hide. I'm not exactly sure why it bothers me so much.. because I'm just eating better and getting more exercise. I guess it's the humiliation of someone wanting to know why I'm not as fat as I was?
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey, the only people who knew were my doctor and me. I have gotten compliments from my doctors and staff every time I see them. That is encouraging. The last two weeks I started getting compliments at work. Most of the, "Hey, I've noticed, you're doing great." variety. I looked at this as a real NSV. Of course I would be uncomfortable with the, "How are you doing it?, How much have you lost?" kind of questions...so far that has not happened, even from family.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have one annoying person that I work with that used to frequently make snide rude and unkind comments about my weight. Thankfully I have lost enough that she has now had to shut the heck up! Some of my other co-workers do comment on the newer version of me, but they do so nicely.

I actually do not mind the positive feedback, but I did this for me not for the praise of others. I think is it hard to truly be happy if you are always trying to live up to the expectations of everyone else.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    If someone says they can tell that I've lost, I don't mind it at all.. but when someone asks me what I'm doing to lose weight, I want to crawl in a hole and hide. I'm not exactly sure why it bothers me so much.. because I'm just eating better and getting more exercise. I guess it's the humiliation of someone wanting to know why I'm not as fat as I was?
    I can imagine that. I don't want to talk about it either, I think because the answer's so simple. So I'm afraid people will look at me like, well, why didn't you do it earlier?
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am an introvert by nature. I don't like people up in my business.
    I'm sensitive about this too. I'm proud if they notice (and a couple did - but in a respectful not up in my kool-aid kind of way that I appreciated). I warned them that I'm not comfortable about the crazy attention (that some love - and that's ok) and didn't want to talk about it or I'd start feeling weird about it and stop. They understood. Others probably wouldn't. Others would project their extrovert selves onto me and make it into a "thing."

One of my own reasons is that I am absolutely not doing anything strict - and the moment folks think you are "dieting" they just know you are suffering, martyring yourself and living by some strict rules. Then one day you eat a snickers bar in their presence and the knowing glances go around "Oh, she must be done with that diet now so that didn't work either" or they feel like since you are on a diet your decisions are now up for public debate - and they are not. My decisions are mine.

OR they feel like they need to help you end this craziness and start offering you EVERYTHING to eat.

I only have hubster, 2 coworkers, my BFF and one aunt that know. The aunt and coworkers caught on. The BFF is doing something diety all the time so she shares hers and I listen. She is doing well with looser rules lately though. Hubster - well he's just around too much to not know. He asks what to put on my plate and then measure is out for me if he's cooking. :) Good boy.

Also, Plexus is going around my workplace like a spring cold. I don't want them up in my kool-aid especially. Of course, some will assume I must be doing Plexus - I hate that idea too!
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    For me (in real life) I think people telling me I look good or whatever is a bit like them saying "You looked ****e before".

That's what I very often feel too! Here the other day my brother found a year old pic of me, and just raised his brows in a disapproving way and said 'well, it's good you've lost weight now!'
    I guess I wouldn't mind because I KNOW I don't look good now. My vanity is one portion of why I'm trying to lose it...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    When I realized that it's not really any of my business what others think about me, my diet or my weight, it became easier to let some comments roll off my back. It became much easier to do that when I realized I really don't care what others (strangers, random co-workers, non-preferred family members, random "friends") think about me, my diet or my weight. As long as my hubby thinks I'm hot, my kids are proud of me, my mom is impressed with my weight loss and my sister thinks I'm awesome, that's all that matters.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Yes, I look very different. Yes, I'm much healthier. No, you may not touch me and no it's not your business to broadcast my weight loss to the world.
    Just.wow. I can't believe people would not understand how this violates someone's personal space. My wife can touch me (and is encouraged to do so :bigsmile: ) to verify the loss. All others...HANDS OFF!
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers meetings and one time, probably a fluke with water or something, I registered an 11 lbs loss and I was so embarrassed when they told everyone. I'm not sure why but I felt like I just wanted to blend in still and I was fairly new and only knew one friend there. I also didn't know they would announce someone's loss out to everyone so that didn't help either. I didn't last long at meetings, lol.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yes, I look very different. Yes, I'm much healthier. No, you may not touch me and no it's not your business to broadcast my weight loss to the world.
    Just.wow. I can't believe people would not understand how this violates someone's personal space. My wife can touch me (and is encouraged to do so :bigsmile: ) to verify the loss. All others...HANDS OFF!

For me this extends to my fitness equipment as well - I hate if someone else touches my settings, even the trainer. I think that comes from my friend that thinks it's funny to mess around with other people though so that doesn't help. I'm good with doing my own settings thank you. :D
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It used to bother me when I was overweight...I think that I thought maybe it was a comment on "how fat I used to be." I realize now that it probably wasn't as negative as I thought.

I try not to comment on people's weight loss now; mostly, b/c I don't know if they are still sensitive about their weight. However if I know it is someone that isn't sensitive about it OR I know has been working out really hard, I'll say something. It is coming from a positive place.

I've even made comments to strangers at the gym...all have been received well, b/c it is a gym setting...and everyone there is obviously trying to lose weight/get into better shape/etc. It actually seems more authentic when a stranger (like a person at the gym that you see everyday, but don't know) says something. I've had strangers at the gym make comments; it is more motivating. I think that is what MOST people are doing.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I sometimes dislike it when people try to convince me that I've lost weight when I can't see it myself. It demotivates me. Almost makes me feel like the work that needs to be done is already done even though I clearly can see it isn't.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when people comment on my weight loss. Or ask about what I'm eating etc.

I can't quite put my finger on why it bothers me so much. I really feel like it's none of their business. I feel embarreshed if they mention my weight, and almost angry if they ask what I'm eating, like I'm being judged or held accountable to them or something.

Anyone else feel like this?

EDIT: In real life. People who know me.

I have a love/hate feeling about it. I like that my hard work is being noticed; yet inside I still have a tendency to think " Oh, I'm successful! I can let up now!" But I have a long way to go so I have to fight that off. Another thing (deep inside) my emotional baggage doesn't want me to be attractive in any way! I have a deep need to not be noticed.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I keep my food diary private, so no one comments on what I'm eating unless I mention it and if I mention it, it's because I want comments.

I LOVE comments on the weight loss. I'm here for the support, so I don't mind helpful comments. I delete from my friend list people who aren't helpful. I had too many water nazis at one point. They're gone now.

EDIT: I see you edited to say in real life. No one really comments in real life, so it's a non-issue for me.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I don't have any opinion at all on comments about your weight loss.

I don't even know you.

What an odd question . . .