embarrassed at the gym.....

Options
Am I the only one? I normally road run and do strength via circuit training DVD's at home. I recently joined a gym so I can run in a safer environment, but I have to admit aside from the cardio equipment I'm :embarassed: to use the other equipment. I have NO idea how to work the machines :laugh: and I feel so silly getting out the 5 and 10lb dumbbells to do my strength then I forget 1/2 the circuit! :blushing: :embarassed: I want to get more out of my gym membership than a treadmill and elliptical. My gym doesn't have a trainer on staff and I'd have to pay quite a lot for one. I don't really need a trainer anyhow as I'm maintaining my weight and BF%. How do you know what to do? Do you take a notebook with you? What do you all DO at the gym?:ohwell:

Replies

• saccarah
    saccarah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have no real experience at the gym, However, I came from curves and when I got to the gym I just did each machine for 10x10 reps. I watched someone else before I even got on to make sure I was doing it correctly. Dont ever be embarrassed that's what its there for!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I have a folder and notebook (full of cut outs from magazines) of my routines I like to do.

I ask people who are using the equipment how to; if I really wanna know how to use something. Maybe ask the owner of the gym.

I also log everything on a piece of paper. I probably look very silly but its working.

Good luck!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    A lot of personal trainers offer free or very cheap first time visits. You might want to contact a few and ask them if they have specials, especially this time of year!
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel embarrassed at the gym, most people are going to be so into what they are doing they won't notice you unless you are screaming like a looney tune or something.

There are a lot of free exercise databases on the internet that have video explaining how to perform exercises, along with demonstrations obviously. Muscle and Strength has a good video database if I remember correctly. I will say trainers may be expensive but a good one can be invaluable on instructing you how to perform the more complex lifts correctly and safely.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    that when i started it was at a women only gym i still go there to this day. no embrassment here. plus you never have to worry what you look like lol but i all trust me i think most people at the gym is therr to focus on themselve as my motto goes it none of your biz what others think of you. t what i live by. plus someone at the gym should take the time to show you after all you pay money!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You do whatever YOU need to do to maximize your time at the gym! I've worked out at gyms for years now. There are times when I do bring a notebook and want to follow a certain plan and record my sets/weights, etc. But, sometimes I don't. If a notebook will help you, bring it! If you feel silly with that (even though you shouldn't), you can just put a small slip of paper or post it on you somewhere that lists that things you want to do at the gym today.... bicept curls, shoulder press, 30 min cardio, etc. And don't fret about how much weight you use or don't use! It's more important to use good form and use weights that are comfortable for you but that also fatigue your muscle by the end of the workout. Many people try to workout with weights that are too heavy for them anyway and don't use good form! Those workouts are NOT effective!

Watch other people on the machines that you want to use. Most machines have little signs on them that show a diagram of the muscles that are being used and give instruction on how to use them.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I hop on the treadmill, ellipticals, and bikes. They're pretty straightforward. I use weight machines for weight training. Most of them have instructions posted on the machine itself
  • blumuse
    blumuse Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I joined a gym to bust a plateu I was on, I didn't have a clue either. For me, I just took the plunge and hired a trainer so I knew I'd be trained correctly on how to the use the machines. It sounds like it's not really an option for you though. You could write down the name of the machines they have (brand and model #) and look them up online to see if there's possibly some online instructions available. If you see someone that's fit and works out a lot at your gym, you can ask them or try to copy what they do. My trainer advises lifting a weight that you can do only about 15 of at a time. If you can do more than 15, it's probably too light. I do three sets of 15 on each machine I use.
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of resources for workout routines and plans on-line. I've found a number of different ones that way. You should be able to google them or look at the Self magazine web site. Some have plans that you can print and download and some you can use to help create your own. I've made spreadsheets in the past and have everything planned out and have extra columns to take notes on how the workout went, if I didn't complete it and why, etc. I'm not a fan of the weight machines, but they can be helpful b/c you're less likely to have bad form that with free weights if you're starting out. If your gym has group exercises classes I recommend taking those. It helps reduce boredom and there is someone else planning it for you.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think the owner or manager of the gym has a duty to educate you on the machines and how they work. You are paying for a service that they need to provide. I would ask the manager, I bet they would love to help you get started.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    This was my major obstacle in going to join the gym. I was "too fat" and didn't want to feel out of place and the fact that I have no idea how to use gym equipment. I go to Planet Fitness and the gym equipment has step by step what to do (which is great) but I asked someone at the desk if there was someone who could just show me the equipment so that I didn't hurt myself (or it). They were happy to help out. I've been going for a few months and use pretty much every piece of strength training equipment when I am there (hence the 2hrs on average at the gym).

Other than someone at the desk, I agree with asking a member. If someone is getting off a piece of equipment go up and ask if they would mind showing you how to work it. I found that almost everyone at my gym is very considerate and I've even had people ask ME how to do things.
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Check out Oxygen Magazine! It's a fantastic resource for healthy/fit women who are into strength training. I love it. Very readable and fun. And very reliable, helpful information. It's my favorite magazine...check it out online...
  • utamore
    Options
    My gf is in the same boat re: fear of the machines and weights. Bottom line--you're going to have to deal with it somehow because if you want to be in great shape rather than just be skinny, you're going to want to add some muscle (mass and tone). I highly recommend diving into bodybuilding.com. First, they have a ton of great articles about resistance training for women (and why you should be doing it): http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=FemaleTraining
    Here's a specifically good article for women: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

Second, they have videos of women performing a bunch of different resistance exercises (and detailed how to explanations) categorized by muscle worked: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

I would recommend three resistance training days, using the basic split of Day 1: chest and triceps, Day 2: back and biceps, and Day 3: legs and shoulders. Others may disagree, offer contrasting advice, but whatever you do, you should do something. I'd end by saying I'm not a rep for bodybuilding.com or anything like that.
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I promise that nobody will notice what weights you are using. Also, many of the machines have little stickers on them pointing out what muscles are worked in addition to how to use the equipment.

When I first started years ago, I went into the gym late on a Saturday afternoon when there was nobody around. I tried out most every piece of equipment available to see what I liked and what I did not like. Looking back, I realized I could have done the same thing on a crowded morning and actually asked for advice from the seasoned weightlifters, but I was most comfortable doing so with an empty gym.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I use the free weights all the time at my gym. Who give a rats *kitten* what anyone else thinks - first of all!
    You should be able to find a spread sheet on line with arm exercises, chest, back, leg - or you can make one your self.
    Print it out, and bring it to the gym with you.
    Google search arm exercises, then use the weights that you are good with.
    stroutman (Not sure it that's his name - he's on my friends list - might be able to help you out too if google cant)
  • chris2991
    Options
    don't feel bad about the weights everyone gotta start some where

I bring a print out of what I want to do that I make on word, and if you google the machien You don't know about you can find videos about how to use them.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Your gym must have people that work there that will show you how to properly use each piece of equipment they have. They have to have that - not a trainer - just will show you. Ask!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one? I normally road run and do strength via circuit training DVD's at home. I recently joined a gym so I can run in a safer environment, but I have to admit aside from the cardio equipment I'm :embarassed: to use the other equipment. I have NO idea how to work the machines :laugh: and I feel so silly getting out the 5 and 10lb dumbbells to do my strength then I forget 1/2 the circuit! :blushing: :embarassed: I want to get more out of my gym membership than a treadmill and elliptical. My gym doesn't have a trainer on staff and I'd have to pay quite a lot for one. I don't really need a trainer anyhow as I'm maintaining my weight and BF%. How do you know what to do? Do you take a notebook with you? What do you all DO at the gym?:ohwell:

The best thing you can do is Educate yourself with whatever references you can find.

As a trainer, I would go as far as saying that 90% of the people in gyms don't know what they're doing and get their routines from simply watching other people, following friends and such, with really no guarantee they themselves know what their doing.

The amount of Mis-Information out there is infinite, so educating yourself and doing your homework into what's what (ignoring fads) will give you the bestr results in the long run.

You Tube probably has several demos on how to perform certain exercises so that would be a good place to start.

For Educating yourself, I would suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Women" as a great read that cuts through alot of the junk to present the straight dope as to what's what for strength training and fitness.

The more you learn, the better you become. Nothing to be embarassed about.,

Remember, confidence is simply knowing you'll do whatever it takes to meet a particular goal, despite any obstacles that come your way.

All the best!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad, trust me (possibly sounds mean) but noone will pay the blind bit of attention to you in the gym, unless a) you act like an absolute looney, but once you finish they will go back to what they were doing or b) you start talking to them (sometimes you get ppl talking to you, but they genuinely want to know about you, nothing sneaky or anything they are high on their endorphines!).

If you feel really embarrased get a mate to go with you for the first while (you may end up with a perm work out buddy!) most gyms should also have an induction to tell you how to use machines and weights properly.

Personal trainers are usually more than happy to tell you if you are doing free weights or machines wrong, bad technique is their pet hates.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    you know... i balked at the gym for a long time. I didn't want to be the fat chick at the gym and have everybody gawk at me. We all have ridiculous voices in our head that we need to learn to silence. Mine kept telling me that all the people at the gym would look at me and think I was fat. They would think that it was about time i started doing something besides eating all the time. Those voices are some of the best saboteurs we have.

In the end it doesn't matter what all those people think. First of all, many of them are friendly and encouraging (even the grunty meathead lifters!) ;-) Second of all, everybody is so in to their own program that they rarely pay attention to what you are doing anyway.

I find it appalling that the manager or owner of the gym didn't offer to show you how to use the machines, or even offer a free session to get you started. I would definitely talk to him/her for help. Gyms aren't cheap and you shouldn't be left floundering looking for help on your path to getting healthier.