P90X3 - Who's with me?!

Options

Replies

• dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    1st day done with the Lean program. I am out of shape. Feels great though.
  • emilym173
    Options
    Just finished block 1. I'm happy with my results so far. I started out pretty physically weak. I had practically no upper body strength. I picked the classics program to focus more on toning and gaining strength. I'll be honest, I could barely get through some of the works and had to modify A LOT. By week three, I found myself able to actually do real pushups instead of modified knee pushups. Granted, they weren't chest-to-ground pushups, but it is still a huge improvement for me! I'm using resistance bands for the pull-ups and I upgraded this week to a heavier set. I definitely feel a hell of a lot stronger! My balance also improved a ton. I couldn't do the half-moon pose during the first week, but I can finally do it now!

I stupidly forgot to take day 1 photos. I did lost 4 lbs so far and an 1inch off of my waist, hips and thighs. My arms and shoulders are noticeably more toned and shapely. My calves look great. I have some fat to lose on my thighs, but I am hoping I'll start to notice muscle tone once they slim down more. Hell, I am even starting to see the very beginnings of abs!

I'm not following the p90x3 nutrition plan, but I am calorie counting and paying close attention to what I am eating. I'm trying to consume as much "clean" and unprocessed food as possible. Lot's of water and protein!

I'm excited for transition week! I love Pilates.
  • Bobs123456
    Options
    Been doing p90x3 for two weeks. How does the intensity and calories burned compare to the original? Google just gets me a marketing response. Anyone do both?
  • hmac415
    hmac415 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the program tomorrow! Aiming to lose about 3-4% BF.

I'm also an active MFP user and would love to follow along with others' P90X3 journeys ~ connect with me please!

Heather
  • larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I finished Day 29(mass) Upper Eccentric Upper last Monday. Then early in the AM Tuesday at work, I started a fever that
    would eventually lay the full smack down on me at 101.8 degrees Tuesday Night. The good news is it wasn't the Flu. The Bad news is that it did a number on me....bigtime.
    Instead of coming back with a partial 1st week of Phase 2, I gave myself time to get healthy. I will kick back off with Day
    29 again tomorrow. So I can do the full week.

Oh well...while I am disappointed in missing 6 days. It's all good. Good healthy eating, and keeping fit are a part of my DNA
    for life !! :wink: Ready to Bring it once again !!
  • janner_bird
    Options
    Hi

I am starting P90X3 tomorrow, I am using today to get organised. Feel free to add me :)

Caz
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Just finished day 36 and am absolute loving it. I start the day with a workout and add something extra at night (such as an ab ripper session) if I feel like it. Results so far have been great, looking forward to day 90!
  • emilym173
    Options
    I also add the Ab Ripper X video (from p90x...I don't have the new one) once or twice a week. The videos do a good job incorporating core workouts, but I miss having an ab specific video. Oh, and I'm going to Cancun with some of my classmates in a few weeks...extra motivation!
  • topseeturve
    topseeturve Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I started week two of block 3 yesterday. Still no weight loss and no inches have been lost since sometime around the beginning of block 2. Still in the same clothing size. Which is disappointing. On a positive note, I started out the program being able to only do assisted/knee push ups and now I'm able to do abut 15 regular ones at a time. Also my lifting weight has increased by 10-15 lbs depending on the exercise.
  • yinzah
    yinzah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to MFP. I started X3 but cannot find it listed under exercise. Is someone going to load it?? I would love to know how it is contributing to my caloric count.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I just finished block 1 today, and I have a bit of mixed feelings.
    I Am getting stronger, have more stamina, mor flexible etc. Although I generally do not like cardio, CVX and the warrior were my fav workouts of block 1 , and agility x and the challenge we close seconds. I think when it comes to cardio p90x3 is actually much better than the original p90x . I did/ doing classic version of both, but the fact that p90x3 have great variety in cardio is very refreshing. I loved the pylo workout in p90x , was not a big fan of kenpo. Anyway p90x only had those 2 cardio rotating over and over and over for the entire 3 months and got old after a while.
    I really like that in p90x3 has 3 different cardio on regular week , plus a 4th one on the transition week, and block 2 start with an entire new cardio schedule. I LOVE the variety.

Unfortunately when it comes to strength training, p90x3 is not even close to the original p90x, and not just because the shorter workout. The challenge is a nice simple pull- up push up routing, but total synergistic is really not hard core even for me . I really hope that block 2 will pick up the intensity when it comes to strength training.

My main complain is that I didn't lose a single pound. I started at as 204 lb obese (bmi=31) female with 42% bf, so i have a LOT to lose as i am nowhere near to ideal weight.i did the workouts, eat clean , went with the nutrition plan recommendation and nothing. i think the nutrition plan is way overestimates and the number of calories. Now as i think of it, what it gives you is probably the maintanance calories instead of the calores you supposed to eat . I gained 2 lb on the first week ,1 lb on the second week, 3 rd week no changes. At that point I kind of freak out an reduced my calorie intake with almost 300 calories for the 4 the week, and the last 3 days I went for tobogganing for an hr each day( almost 700 calorie burn) and now I am finally almost back where I were when I started. It is kind of disappointing that all that hard work went for nothing because I was overeating by following their guide. I hope this reduced calorie level and the increased intensity in block 2 will get me some result.
  • jonglee14
    Options
    Checking in! Started P90X3 two weeks ago but been constantly missing out Fridays and Saturdays due to busyness. And I haven't been keeping up with eating right on the weekends!
    I'm 22/ 5"6"/a guy/143lb - I do have a slight belly (but not obese). - Goal is to get toned overall and especially some abs!
    Any results so far from those who's been sticking on the work outs for a while?
    Any simple meal plan suggestions?
    Any advice?
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Morning All
    So I've had the virus and flu and haven't worked out in almost 2 weeks due to my incessant cough ( made it difficult to breathe properly when working out.

I was at Block 2, Week 1 when I stopped. Can I just resume from Block 2? This is the first time I took such a long break from a program and wondering how badly this would affect me?

Any advice appreciated.

The advice I always give in this situation is go back and start over with the last week you completed. That will get you back on track.

-Tex
  • texstorm
    Options
    Checking in! Started P90X3 two weeks ago but been constantly missing out Fridays and Saturdays due to busyness. And I haven't been keeping up with eating right on the weekends!
    I'm 22/ 5"6"/a guy/143lb - I do have a slight belly (but not obese). - Goal is to get toned overall and especially some abs!
    Any results so far from those who's been sticking on the work outs for a while?
    Any simple meal plan suggestions?
    Any advice?

I'm in the middle of week 3 of block 1. I've seen increases in all my reps and weights lifted in the resistance exercises and lots of improvement on coordination on Agility X (although I curse you Tony Horton!). So far I'd say I'm loving this program.

So, if your goal is weight loss and more muscle definition you really need to get serious about the nutrition part of this program.

Are you a Shakeology user? What are typical meals like for you? What do you like to eat? What foods can't you stand?

I did P90X the first time without paying any attention to nutrition and it got me stronger and fitter, but I still looked exactly the same at the end, and I don't think I lost any weight. 2nd round I paid very close attention to nutrition, made sure to rest when it was time to rest and I got phenomenal results both in strength/endurance and appearance.

So that's my overall advice. As for meal planning, let me know the answers to my question above and I can try to help out.

-Tex
  • italktomyself16
    italktomyself16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll be finishing T25 soon and Im trying to decide if i want to purchase P90x3 or not. my wrists turn to bother me if I am in pushup position for too long and I'm curious if I would have to buy the push up stands, is there a lot of moves in plank position? also I'm curious if I would have to buy a heavier weights. I'm 5'3 and a woman and right now the highest weight I have is 8 pounds, would I have to buy 10 pounds or even 12 and 15? What's everybody else been using? I know I'm going to have to buy the pullup assist, so if I buy P90X3 know it's going to be a very big investments and I want to make sure that it is worth my money.
  • texstorm
    Options
    I Am getting stronger, have more stamina, mor flexible etc. Although I generally do not like cardio, CVX and the warrior were my fav workouts of block 1 , and agility x and the challenge we close seconds. I think when it comes to cardio p90x3 is actually much better than the original p90x . I did/ doing classic version of both, but the fact that p90x3 have great variety in cardio is very refreshing. I loved the pylo workout in p90x , was not a big fan of kenpo. Anyway p90x only had those 2 cardio rotating over and over and over for the entire 3 months and got old after a while.
    I really like that in p90x3 has 3 different cardio on regular week , plus a 4th one on the transition week, and block 2 start with an entire new cardio schedule. I LOVE the variety.

Unfortunately when it comes to strength training, p90x3 is not even close to the original p90x, and not just because the shorter workout. The challenge is a nice simple pull- up push up routing, but total synergistic is really not hard core even for me . I really hope that block 2 will pick up the intensity when it comes to strength training.

My main complain is that I didn't lose a single pound. I started at as 204 lb obese (bmi=31) female with 42% bf, so i have a LOT to lose as i am nowhere near to ideal weight.i did the workouts, eat clean , went with the nutrition plan recommendation and nothing. i think the nutrition plan is way overestimates and the number of calories. Now as i think of it, what it gives you is probably the maintanance calories instead of the calores you supposed to eat . I gained 2 lb on the first week ,1 lb on the second week, 3 rd week no changes. At that point I kind of freak out an reduced my calorie intake with almost 300 calories for the 4 the week, and the last 3 days I went for tobogganing for an hr each day( almost 700 calorie burn) and now I am finally almost back where I were when I started. It is kind of disappointing that all that hard work went for nothing because I was overeating by following their guide. I hope this reduced calorie level and the increased intensity in block 2 will get me some result.

So, you may have heard this elsewhere before, but just in case you haven't - throw away your scale.

Weight on the scale is just a single data point. If you have taken intro to statistics you know that a single data point tells you pretty much nothing. If you go into a new workout program, that's challenging different muscle groups than you're used to using, and working you pretty hard one of the things that will always happen is an adjustment phase. During that adjustment phase your body retains water as a part of its process to heal the damage you're doing with the workouts and to adjust and adapt to the new stresses. That water retention will always make the number on the scale go up.

Always. This is why we take measurements on the last day of recovery week. That gives your body time to shed that water weight and bloat.

At minimum I tell anyone I'm working with to weigh themselves no more than once a week, and if that starts to discourage them, put the scale in the closet and only bring it out for your 30 day weigh in.

With regard to the resistance elements of X3 vs. P90X - they are going to be as tough as you make them. Use the heaviest weight you can handle while still doing the exercise with proper form. I'm using 25 and 30 lb. weights on most of the moves on Total Synergistics and I'm getting a lot of DNA removal going on. That said, this isn't a follow-on or graduate program from X. It's supposed to be a bit easier. I'm doing it in order to have personal experience with the program and to see what I can do with it. I did X2 previously and that's a lot more challenging - although in a different way.

What most of the BB coaches recommend to people who want a more focused resistance training program is Body Beast. I'm going to give that one a shot next, but I do think that X3 is a more well-rounded program than X. When Tony designed X he was all about iron, and at the time that was a radical departure for home fitness programs. Everything else that was available when X came out was focused on being the next version of Jane Fonda's aerobics program. Putting weights into people's hands was revolutionary.

Since then Tony has become more interested in longevity and overall athleticism. Both X2 and X3 reflect that change in philosophy. From a marketing standpoint I also think that Crossfit has kind of swallowed the neophyte iron monger's demographic. There's also no point in making a new version of P90X. It exists and they still sell it.

I agree that the variety of X3 is a bit better. What I found overall though, after 3 rounds of X, is that you really have to embrace the individual workouts that you hate. I loathed KenpoX, so I did it, but I did it halfheartedly, so I got nothing out of it. When I decided to put as much energy into mastering the moves in that workout as I had the moves in PlyoX or Chest & Back, I found that they got easier, and then I started to enjoy it, and by the end of 90 days it was one of my favorites (and also was giving me the highest calorie burn of all of them).

Now, with regard to the nutrition plans - I'm not an enthusiastic supporter of any of the nutrition plans in any BB programs. I'm too much of a nutrition geek and I want more detail and nerdy science stuff out of it. That said, I like the X3 plan better than any of the others I've seen because it's simple.

It's still possible that it has you eating too much though, or too much of the wrong things (a bit more likely). When I calculate my calorie needs based upon the X3 guide it gets pretty close, although I'd say it's about 100 calories on the high side. The best way to tell if you're eating too much (or too little) isn't necessarily the scale though for the reasons outlined above. It's how you feel. If you feel like you're carrying a brick in your gut, (or even a small rock) then you're eating too much and you should probably scale it back. If you're feeling tired, cranky, fatigued or mentally slow, you're probably eating too little. Again, adjust up a bit and see what happens.

What I never advise anyone to do is eat what MFP's automated goal calculator says. It will nearly always calculate anyone who is trying to lose weight into too steep a deficit. If you want to run your formula to get your BMR it goes like this:

For women-
    (age x 4.7) + (height in inches x 4.35) - (age x 4.7) + 655 = BMR
    Take that number and multiply it times 1.2 to factor in a typical sedentary lifestyle and there is your weight maintenance calorie goal. Eat that while doing X3 and you'll lose weight.

-Tex
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

So, you may have heard this elsewhere before, but just in case you haven't - throw away your scale.

Weight on the scale is just a single data point. If you have taken intro to statistics you know that a single data point tells you pretty much nothing. If you go into a new workout program, that's challenging different muscle groups than you're used to using, and working you pretty hard one of the things that will always happen is an adjustment phase. During that adjustment phase your body retains water as a part of its process to heal the damage you're doing with the workouts and to adjust and adapt to the new stresses. That water retention will always make the number on the scale go up.

Always. This is why we take measurements on the last day of recovery week. That gives your body time to shed that water weight and bloat.

At minimum I tell anyone I'm working with to weigh themselves no more than once a week, and if that starts to discourage them, put the scale in the closet and only bring it out for your 30 day weigh in.

With regard to the resistance elements of X3 vs. P90X - they are going to be as tough as you make them. Use the heaviest weight you can handle while still doing the exercise with proper form. I'm using 25 and 30 lb. weights on most of the moves on Total Synergistics and I'm getting a lot of DNA removal going on. That said, this isn't a follow-on or graduate program from X. It's supposed to be a bit easier. I'm doing it in order to have personal experience with the program and to see what I can do with it. I did X2 previously and that's a lot more challenging - although in a different way.

What most of the BB coaches recommend to people who want a more focused resistance training program is Body Beast. I'm going to give that one a shot next, but I do think that X3 is a more well-rounded program than X. When Tony designed X he was all about iron, and at the time that was a radical departure for home fitness programs. Everything else that was available when X came out was focused on being the next version of Jane Fonda's aerobics program. Putting weights into people's hands was revolutionary.

Since then Tony has become more interested in longevity and overall athleticism. Both X2 and X3 reflect that change in philosophy. From a marketing standpoint I also think that Crossfit has kind of swallowed the neophyte iron monger's demographic. There's also no point in making a new version of P90X. It exists and they still sell it.

I agree that the variety of X3 is a bit better. What I found overall though, after 3 rounds of X, is that you really have to embrace the individual workouts that you hate. I loathed KenpoX, so I did it, but I did it halfheartedly, so I got nothing out of it. When I decided to put as much energy into mastering the moves in that workout as I had the moves in PlyoX or Chest & Back, I found that they got easier, and then I started to enjoy it, and by the end of 90 days it was one of my favorites (and also was giving me the highest calorie burn of all of them).

Now, with regard to the nutrition plans - I'm not an enthusiastic supporter of any of the nutrition plans in any BB programs. I'm too much of a nutrition geek and I want more detail and nerdy science stuff out of it. That said, I like the X3 plan better than any of the others I've seen because it's simple.

It's still possible that it has you eating too much though, or too much of the wrong things (a bit more likely). When I calculate my calorie needs based upon the X3 guide it gets pretty close, although I'd say it's about 100 calories on the high side. The best way to tell if you're eating too much (or too little) isn't necessarily the scale though for the reasons outlined above. It's how you feel. If you feel like you're carrying a brick in your gut, (or even a small rock) then you're eating too much and you should probably scale it back. If you're feeling tired, cranky, fatigued or mentally slow, you're probably eating too little. Again, adjust up a bit and see what happens.

What I never advise anyone to do is eat what MFP's automated goal calculator says. It will nearly always calculate anyone who is trying to lose weight into too steep a deficit. If you want to run your formula to get your BMR it goes like this:

For women-
    (age x 4.7) + (height in inches x 4.35) - (age x 4.7) + 655 = BMR
    Take that number and multiply it times 1.2 to factor in a typical sedentary lifestyle and there is your weight maintenance calorie goal. Eat that while doing X3 and you'll lose weight.

-Tex
    Thanks for the detail advice. I have a hard time figure out how much to eat because the newly started exercise program need more calories. At the same time, I just weaned my baby , which reduced my calorie needs . I thought the best if I follow the nutrition guide, because the person who put it together probably have more knowledge about nutrition/ weight loss than me.
    I do not think I am eating the wrong kind of foods though. I do not eat any junk food whatsoever. I do not eat chips, sweets, soda etc like ever. i think the last time i had a pice of chocolate was haloween. I eat tons of protein , beef, chicken, pork, eggs, cottage cheese, cheese, milk, whey isolate, salmon, tuna , tons of veggies and max 3 fruit a day. My weakness is bacon , cheese and nuts. If it fits into my calorie allowance I just eat nuts or pre-cooked bacon until my calories are up.
    I have seen so many BMR calculators on the net, and there is a lot of disparity among them. Some takes consideration the body fat % , some only height/ weight etc. i have seen all kinds of numbers for BMR from 1475 to all the way to 2050. Plus the 1.2 multiplier for sedentary lifestyle may not neccesearly accurate for me. Although i have a deskjob, but running after and carrying a 22 lb toddler multiple hrs a day probably do not fit into sedentary lifestyle. Anyway I looked up a registered dietetitan in my city who does metabolic testting using exhaled oxygen measurement .I have the appointment set up for Friday, hopefully after that I'll have clear idea how much I should eat, and the fat should start to melt.
  • larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Check in time ! Day 28 Eccentric Upper: This workout is vicious ! I have no one to blame but myself :bigsmile: . Let me explain. During P90x....I always wondered how in the heck do people actually do every rep of the Ab-ripper ? I would poop out on a given
    exercise doing 20 of the 25 reps...then on to the next excercise I go . My big improvement came....when I paused the
    video and grunted out the other 5 reps. A couple weeks later..I was kicking the abrippers a*s. !! So Upper Ecc. ends up being a 45 minute workout for me as of now, because I am getting my 10 pull-ups every darn time !!! A friggin regular pullup combined with a negative pullup is a killer:sick:

Day 29 Lower Eccentric: Another sneaky Leg workout from Tony Horton. "Im sweating good...time is flying, and this doesn't seem much over the top". The next day....getting out of bed...my legs are freaking jelly. Good Stuff.

Day30 X3 Yoga: Just what the doctor ordered after the last two days. This workout is so butter...the time flys by.

Play you say ??? PUSH IT
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @italktomyself I have bought push-up stands for P90X3, as my wrists would hurt otherwise- not so much during planks (of which there are a ton), but more during the push-ups (of which there are possibly even more). Best fitness investment so far, has helped me tremendously with form and preventing injury!

As for weights, would expect you to need slightly heavier ones for some exercises (i.e. bent-over dumbell row, chest press), but only you can decide what max weight you'd need for those exercises. Alternatively, you could purchase a good set of resistance bands, which you can use for both push and pull exercises. I have a set of bodylastics and absolutely love them, especially as I can take them with me when travelling,.

===
    I'll be finishing T25 soon and Im trying to decide if i want to purchase P90x3 or not. my wrists turn to bother me if I am in pushup position for too long and I'm curious if I would have to buy the push up stands, is there a lot of moves in plank position? also I'm curious if I would have to buy a heavier weights. I'm 5'3 and a woman and right now the highest weight I have is 8 pounds, would I have to buy 10 pounds or even 12 and 15? What's everybody else been using? I know I'm going to have to buy the pullup assist, so if I buy P90X3 know it's going to be a very big investments and I want to make sure that it is worth my money.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just started my first transition week and did Isometrix for my first time today, that one is definitely not my favorite. 30 minutes of planks or standing on one leg got old really fast. Actually stopped a few minutes early and did Dynamix as well.

I'm actually not looking forward to the rest of the week since it looks to be all stretching and cardio. Might try to squeeze in a couple 2-a-days and get it over quicker.