Science Teacher, no time, help!

Options

Replies

• abbydabbadoo
    Options
    I work long days too, and a lot of the time the best I can do is short walks and stretching on my breaks and during lunch. It isn't ideal, but it's a lot better than nothing!
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I teach high school math. I workout in my school's weight room.

I like working out with the kids. It adds a new component to the relationship. With some of the tougher kids it works as an "in"

I also skip breakfast most school days, and take my own lunch. My quiet time is in my room during lunch.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    When I got plenty of sleep and was still tired during the day, I found out that I had sleep apnea. I had a sleep study and found out that I needed a cpap machine. I've been tired during the day for the past several weeks, but I have been having to wear oxygen all the time due to having pneumonia and being unable to wear my mask, too. You might ask your husband or someone else if you snore at night or stop breathing at times while you sleep.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a high school science teacher as well as a coach. I consistently am working 12-hr work days and am dead beat tired. I have maybe 2 hours to myself at home (which includes showering, making dinner, grading papers, planning, etc.). I have no time to exercise, even half an hour is time I don't have during the week, and eating right is a struggle I've always had (darn sweet tooth)!

I'd really like some motivation/support, especially from other teachers!

Also, any other topics I should post this under? Thanks everybody!
    There is a 7 minute workout app you can do if you're serious about it. And weight loss/gain/maintenance is about your diet. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you do need to be aware of calories.

EDIT: If this is your profile pic, for the life of me I wish my science teachers were this hot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I know I could wake up and work out but then it cuts into my sleep time. Right now I aim for a healthy 7-8 hours I really don't want to part with. *sigh* I suppose I will have to find another way. Maybe run with the kids I coach.

Your pic shows a hot babe.

But your profile says you are a male.

And you joined three years ago, but these are your first three posts.

What gives?

I just rechecked and the profile changed. Hm.

Amazing how much you can learn about a person in just 5 lines!! Lol
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    They change classes in the school you work at? Do something in between classes. Pushups, wall sits, lunges across the classroom, etc. Figure how many class changes there are in the day and 30 seconds or so for the workouts, you'd probably land a good 5-10 minutes of exercise alone doing that.
  • livinmyhappilyeverafter
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is a TERRIBLE idea. Even if you aren't hungry something small and healthy is best. i.e. overnight oatmeal w/ protein powder and fruit in it. I usually have my Shakeology as breakfast then add some protein and creatine. If I don't have the Shakeology I tend to fall out of routines and also crave more. Lemon water is also good for in the morning and helps to wake you up as well. Eat small portions throughout the day to stay fueled up. Working out throughout the day with little tips which you can find on Pinterest will be beneficial. If you prefer the solid 30 minute workout then you'll have to decide whether losing weight/toning (whatever your goal is) or a full 8 hours of sleep is more important to you. The quicker you want results, the more you'll have to put in to it. In the end it'll be easier because it'll become routine and you'll be doing more maintenance than anything else. It'll be a lifestyle rather than a hassle. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, also. A couple of years ago I decided to take my life back. Now I put myself first outside of work hours. I rarely bring work home anymore. If it doesn't get done at work, it doesn't get done. I do go in early every day because that is a productive time for me. And I like feeling ready for the day. I teach 4th grade self contained, so I teach all subjects which is a lot of planning and prep. I work out as soon as I come home 3 days a week and Saturday and Sunday. So if it's important to you, you will find time to arrange your schedule to exercise.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work about 70 hours a week...some desk and some with kids. I've managed to loose 50+ pounds by just working in exercise where I can. I got the 'footsteps' app on my phone. At first my goal was 10000 steps a day, now it's 12-15000. I take the long way back after a toilet break (1 extra minute), I do more active things with the kids and I participate (let's march around the room while reciting something), I take multiples trips when it could be done in 1 (go get the copies and then go back to fill my water bottle), I walk during lunch break, I park a block away from my apartment (get 700 steps morning and evening that way), I jog i place or do jumping jacks while waiting for something in the microwave.

As far as eating healthy. I shop on Saturday morning (when the store opens so I don't waste the whole day) and spend an hour prepping the food for the week to make it easy. Cook a big pot of beans, a big pot of quinoa, bake several pieces of salmon, sautee lots of veggies, put salad in individual serving size containers, wash and cut up fruits, portion out nuts and seeds for snacks, etc.

It really is the little things that make the biggest difference.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I know I could wake up and work out but then it cuts into my sleep time. Right now I aim for a healthy 7-8 hours I really don't want to part with. *sigh* I suppose I will have to find another way. Maybe run with the kids I coach.

some people would rather sleep than be successful.

Sleep deprivation is closely linked to weight gain.
    IMO the OP is right in wanting to keep her sleep at least 7-8 hours.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i'm a teacher too and i totally know what your hectic schedule is like.

honestly meal prep helps, so you don't have to go home and cook all the time for the week. i spend the weekends getting ready for the week. as soon as i walk in the door and drop my bags off i get changed and head back out. yeah, then a quick dinner and bed!

it's crazy but it's manageable. some days you just do get too tired and need a rest, which is okay to do also!

good luck!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    FYI OP there is always time. Get in your high-intensity exercise on days off if you must. I work 14-17 hours a day right now between two jobs, and I make time for exercise. I don't have much free time, but my days start out with getting up two hours before I leave for work to get in a walk, shower, put together my lunch, and eat breakfast. I go straight to the gym on the days I only work one job for 9 hours. If I worked both every day, I would go to the gym instead of going for the walk and get in the walking later on.

There is a way to make it work, you just have to schedule everything right, and figure out if this is important enough to make your first priority. That's what it took for me, making my health the priority over everything else, fitting it all in where I can.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Mad-Men-Season-4-Recap-Video.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

hmmm, and all this time I thought overeating was what lead to weight gain ….
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I agree eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain.

However, sleep deprivation causes a change in hormone levels which in turn causes an increased appetite.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sleep-deprivation-obesity/
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

I agree eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain.

However, sleep deprivation causes a change in hormone levels which in turn causes an increased appetite.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sleep-deprivation-obesity/

Can I add for balance that when I'm in the throes of my insomnia, I lose weight just the same. I was at my fittest and thinnest when I was training 10 hours a week and sleeping 5-6 hours. Felt amazing too. Go figure. Maybe I'm different....
  • Adomke89
    Adomke89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My specific goals are to become more toned, physically faster, and lose probably about 20 pounds. I'm more concerned with inches so actually a concrete goal would be to lose about 3-5 inches off of my both my bust and waist.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can't give you more time, but as far as the sweet tooth goes -- just don't keep that food in your house.

And if you really, really crave it, try a fruit smoothie or some real dark chcolate (Green & Black's 85% is my go-to and th eonly one I actually like).
  • Adomke89
    Adomke89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Joined in college, just learned how to change my gender, and am restarting because I fell off the bandwagon!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to get it in when you can- exercising with your students during practice is a great idea. Also, what about weekends to get a couple of long workouts in? That might have to be your life while school is in session Aug-June. In the summer and on breaks you could really hit it. Just do what you can. Even 10 minute "bursts" throughout your day would help. Good luck!