New Ideas for Cardio?

Options
I've been working out for years and years, but I'm now looking for new ways to get more cardio. I use the treadmill, stationary bike, and elliptical (of course), but what can I add that's different? Nothing with a class; I like to workout by myself, mostly. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ryapm
    Ryapm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    FitStar App!
  • jayclock
    jayclock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    real live running? Real live cycling. Swimming?
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Burpees!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Another vote for swimming. Hardest cardio I do is in the pool and it's an outstanding core and shoulder workout.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Underwater jogging? Really, it just matters on what you LIKE to do. I love running or spending a good long while on my bike. It's cardio. If you don't enjoy either, what good is it if I recommend that as another option?
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    jumping rope <3
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do a HIIT mix for my cardio that I don't mind sharing.

1st set
    Treadmill for 5 minutes = 1:30 Brisk walk/jog 1:30 Sprint 1:00 Brisk walk/jog 1:00 Sprint
    Kettle Bell / Box Jumps = 25 Kettle Bell Squats 10 Box Jumps 25 Kettle Bell Swings 10 Box Jumps
    2nd set
    Treadmill for 5 minutes = 1:30 Brisk walk/jog 1:30 Sprint 1:00 Brisk walk/jog 1:00 Sprint
    Crunches w/ legs elevated = 25 Front 25 Left Leg 25 Right Leg
    6" Leg Lifts = 20-25 lifts
    Planks = 30-60 sec
    3rd set
    Weighted Sit-ups = 50 @ 50 lbs 50 @ 75 lbs 50 @ 100 lbs (or a comfortable weight for you)

I tend to do any variation of these and usually get in 3-4 sets which only has me on the treadmill about 15-20 minutes, but with no rest breaks in-between I normally look like I stepped in the shower with my clothes on and the results have been amazing.
  • cartow
    cartow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Love the swimming and underwater jogging ideas, as well as all the others. Way to help me get out of a rut!
  • joseejolie
    joseejolie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. That's a great HIIT routine. I think I might steal it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Use the treadmill but unplug it first. That's my current favorite.
  • cartow
    Options
    You mean you walk on it without it moving? Not sure I get it.
  • cartow
    Options
    I do a HIIT mix for my cardio that I don't mind sharing.

1st set
    Kettle Bell / Box Jumps = 25 Kettle Bell Squats 10 Box Jumps 25 Kettle Bell Swings 10 Box Jumps
    2nd set
    Crunches w/ legs elevated = 25 Front 25 Left Leg 25 Right Leg
    6" Leg Lifts = 20-25 lifts
    Planks = 30-60 sec
    3rd set
    Weighted Sit-ups = 50 @ 50 lbs 50 @ 75 lbs 50 @ 100 lbs (or a comfortable weight for you)

I tend to do any variation of these and usually get in 3-4 sets which only has me on the treadmill about 15-20 minutes, but with no rest breaks in-between I normally look like I stepped in the shower with my clothes on and the results have been amazing.

Could you explain what "box jumps" are? And what do you mean by the crunches--just to the center, and then to the left and right? I can never picture these things from the description---sorry!
  • cartow
    Options
    Underwater jogging? Really, it just matters on what you LIKE to do. I love running or spending a good long while on my bike. It's cardio. If you don't enjoy either, what good is it if I recommend that as another option?

I know, but I'm very susceptible to suggestion. I just wanted to hear what others do. I'm going to try the underwater jogging. Any tips?
  • cartow
    Options
    jumping rope <3
    On it!
  • cartow
    Options
    Another vote for swimming. Hardest cardio I do is in the pool and it's an outstanding core and shoulder workout.
    Any suggestions for making it challenging? Probably just go faster, I know.....
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

srs?

This like weird sled push simulation?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    jumping rope <3
    On it!

+1 for jumping rope.

I have also created my own circuit as well.

Sprints, suicides, box jumps, jump rope, route running (football) etc.....
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    jumping rope <3

Love doing jumping rope intervals! Gets you heart rate up in no time and a good sweat. Since i started doing them I haven't been able to get myself back on the boring cardio machines. Love this form of cardio.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    jumping rope <3
    On it!

+1 for jumping rope.

I have also created my own circuit as well.

Sprints, suicides, box jumps, jump rope, route running (football) etc.....

I do this too! I'm in my own world and time flys by so quickly too. ;)