Nutella vs Peanut Butter

Options
P_O_O_P
P_O_O_P Posts: 4,557 Member
So, I've been reading a little about Nutella as a healthier alternative to peanut butter. It seems Nutella has 21g per serving of sugar in it and generally more calories. Anyone eat Nutella regularly? What are your thoughts? Is Nutella just good at marketing or is it healthy?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    The last time I looked at the nutrition labels on my Nutella and peanut butter side-by-side, they seemed pretty comparable. I don't get the organic sugar-free peanut butter, though. I imagine that might be a little healthier than either the sugar-laden peanut butter I eat or Nutella.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of PB2 lately, a powdered peanut butter. Its got 85% less fat calories than regular peanut butter.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nutella is not healthier than peanut butter. Eat it if you like it.
  • ef21178
    ef21178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of PB2 lately, a powdered peanut butter. Its got 85% less fat calories than regular peanut butter.

PB2 is amazing! It will taste different at first because it doesn't have the same fat content as peanut butter, but it's still sooooo tasty! :)
  • Hozman121
    Hozman121 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Another vote for PB2
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, I've been reading a little about Nutella as a healthier alternative to peanut butter. It seems Nutella has 21g per serving of sugar in it and generally more calories. Anyone eat Nutella regularly? What are your thoughts? Is Nutella just good at marketing or is it healthy?
    Where did you read it was healthier than peanut butter? It isn't. It has far fewer nutrients.

And it tastes like plastic.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No idea why anyone would want to eat PB2 when Nutella is on the table.

Actually I have no idea why someone would want to eat PB2 anyway, gross. We need those fats, period.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Nutella has a *kitten* ton of sugar compared to Peanut butter. So if you are having trouble not going over in carbs, then peanut butter is a better choice, if you still have enough carbs remaining, then choose what ever one you like better. that said I choose peanut butter, nutella is too sweet for my liking, more like frosting then a spread.
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Nutella is basically frosting! Nutella packs a whopping 21 g of sugar per serving, as opposed to the PB that I use (natural, no sugar added) which only has 2 g. But you have to be careful with PB too. Depending on what kind you get, it can be full of trans fats. Also, Nutella contains palm oil which has a lot of saturated fat (4g as opposed to the 1.5 in my natural no-sugar-added kind). Also, PB has 4X as much protein: 8g per serving to Nutella's 2g. Peanut butter has more fat but also more fiber. In general (and again, depending on the PB that you choose), PB is a far better choice. But you know, Nutella tastes AWESOME, so for a treat every once in a while, why not?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Where did you read it was healthier than peanut butter? It isn't. It has far fewer nutrients.

Just the advertising is where it looks like a "healthier" alternative. And reading people on here eating it from time to time. Therefore, my interest in it grew. Looking it up, it appears that it is not. Forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant. I'm new to this whole "eating healthy" thing. I'm trying, though!
    If you really listen to what the advertisements say, at no point do they refer to Nutella itself as "healthy." They say it's a good way to get your family to eat healthy things like whole grain bread by spreading the Nutella on it.

Also, people on here eat it because they enjoy how it tastes and can fit it into their plans, just like sometimes people on here eat cake and ice cream and candy bars.
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Also, good for you for making healthy changes and for asking these questions! This is how you learn, don't let the haters get you down!
  • erickirb
    Options

Just the advertising is where it looks like a "healthier" alternative. And reading people on here eating it from time to time. Therefore, my interest in it grew. Looking it up, it appears that it is not. Forgive me if I'm a bit ignorant. I'm new to this whole "eating healthy" thing. I'm trying, though!

It is all marketing. They say it is a good source of energy... energy is just calories, and since it is full of fat and sugar the calories are higher therefore a good source of energy, much like the snickers commercials marketing it as energy. I can't wait until the sugar companies or soft drink companies start with the "energy" claims.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Nutella is so yummy, but it's basically dessert. I can just eat it by the spoonful, so I don't buy it.

It depends on what you are looking for. Overall less fat? Nutella. More protein? PB.

Like I said, I'm helpless around Nutella (especially if fresh bread is involved) so I don't buy it =)
  • rml_16
    Options
    don't let the haters get you down!

WTH are you talking about?
  • Cadaverous_Bones
    Options
    A lot of people think other nut butters may be healthier than peanut butter such as almond butter etc. Nutella has added sugar and chocolate in it, and is made from hazelnuts.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Nutella is just good at marketing. I remember when I first heard about it, I was under the impression it was healthy(ish). But then I looked at the nutrition facts and was blown away. On average, it has more calories, more saturated fat, more carbs, more sugar, and less protein than peanut butter.
    I also don't really like nutella, so my votes for peanut butter. All the way.
    I like PB2 to put in my protein shakes, oatmeal or yogurt and to make sauces with. But as a peanut butter substitute (I'm talking about spoonfuls of peanut butter and peanut butter sandwiches), it doesn't do too much for me.
  • erickirb
    Options
    A lot of people think other nut butters may be healthier than peanut butter such as almond butter etc. Nutella has added sugar and chocolate in it, and is made from hazelnuts.

I would not say made from hazelnuts, it contains hazelnuts, but not near the ratio that peanut butter has peanuts. containing something and being made from something is quite different. You can make peanut butter with nothing but peanuts, you cannot make nuttella with just hazel nuts, you will need many more ingredients.
  • Ian214
    Ian214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to eat nutella, the whole jar :(
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    This post makes me want to eat nutella, the whole jar :(

I ate nearly half a jar, yesterday. I didn't complete my day under my goal, but I did complete the week under my goal, so it's all good.