Replies

• BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    signficantly :)
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It will get easier before you lose the weight but at the same time losing the weight will make it easier.

Running was impossible for me just 18 months ago. Now I'm pretty good at it for an old guy. ;-)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052845-fat-smoker-to-triathlete?hl=Fat+smoker&page=1#posts-16168601
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    yes, it will get easier than you will want more challenges to make it harder again. ;) plus you do get faster as you lose weight too.

This is so true! I finished C25K a few months ago and now I'm doing the bridge to 10K. It's amazing how much progress you will make in a short time!
  • kalch
    kalch Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First of all, im back here on MFP and happy to be.
    I started back on track a couple months ago, and part of my health kick was to train for a 10k here in Toronto for end of May.

When I first started running I couldn't run more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time in early january.

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, i ran for 30 minutes straight on a treadmill at 1% incline.. i run slowly, but I still ran for 30 minutes. I ran at 4.2 on the treadmill, and i think in 50 minutes on the treadmill i went almost 3 miles. Not very far, but still 30 minutes straight.

Once I can get to 60 minutes straight, it might be warm enough outside to run, and I can do that. And once I hit 60 minutes straight in about another month, I'll start picking up the pace a bit. Right now, i was just happy to run for 30 minutes straight. Trust me, if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it. It will take time, but you'll have a little smirk on your face each time you run an extra 2 or 3 minutes straight. Definitely do walk/run training and extend the run part.

Keep it up.

m
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    try putting the treadmill incline at 1 or 2 (level) that will mimic outside conditions and make outside running easier. I Used to be a sprinter in school and could never run a whole mile. I did this app wit a real struggle at week 7 and 8-redid both weeks. Now i adore it.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i love this. i ran for 12 mins out of 45 mins on saturday. i was so excited for the first time in my life i ran for 3 mins straight 4 times. i have never even been able to run for 1 min. but i just know that i need to run. i feel it in my body like i have to. it looks like so much fun and i just want to run. my leg kinda hurts today but nothing will stop me from achieving this desire i have to run!!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    As long as you do it consistently, it gets easier! It used to be a struggle for me, especially on the treadmill. Now that I have spent the last 6 weeks actually committed to running 3 times a week as opposed to PLANNING on running three times a week, it's so much easier! So much easier that it keeps me committed to running three times a week. I don't want to go back to feeling like running is hard again.
  • MissMeMandaLee
    MissMeMandaLee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great advice runners! I am building endurance, slowly but surely. I use the treadmill now(Midwest winter!) and although I can go for longer, I still have to stop and walk in between. I do 4min running, 4 walking until I hit 20 mins of running. Is this a good plan?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Does running get easier? No, we just become more adept at embracing the suck. :)

#3 Rule: have a training plan and stick with it.

Challenge hills-- not the other way around.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Running gets easier the more you practice but there are still good runs and bad. Last weekend I had a 6 mi tempo run where my legs felt like lead but this morning I ran 7 mi and felt nearly weightless. It's those runs that you slog through the tough ones for.

Edit: I also got started using C25K, hated every moment of the first 3 or 4 weeks then took off. Now I run half marathons and can't imagine my life without running!
  • Sag2015
    Options
    Keep running and it will keep getting better :smile:
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will get easier. I used to hate running. I dreaded it. Now I look forward to it and it is one of my favorite hobbies. I promise you will learn to enjoy it. Just don't try to do too much too soon. Gradually build up to the 5k. Good luck! You can do it!!
  • thegibbz
    Options
    Yes it will get easier if you keep it up. What i would say is just find a nice pace and as you lose weight and keep up your routine you will slowly begin to speed up and go for longer. Just take it easy because if you push to hard you might injure your self then there will be no running.

John
    http://www.thebestfatburningformula.com/
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets easier. The first time I ran, I could run to the corner (about 100 yards) before I had to stop. I did a 10K on Saturday. Some days my legs feel heavy and stiff, and some days when I run, I think that I could run for a 1/2 marathon easily. Don't be discouraged when it is hard. It does get easier.
  • Raylenest1
    Options
    Yes - it does get easier. I used to say that I would only run if someone was chasing me, and if he was cute - I might let him catch me. OF course - that was before I was married! :)

About 6 weeks ago I started a Learn to Run a 10km. Its a slower paced program - total length is 13 weeks, with a mid program variation if you chose. But it progresses slowly. I have altered it a bit and am up to running for 8 minutes, then a 1 minute walk - for a total of 52 minutes (including 5 minute warm up and a cool down). The amazing thing for me is that I CAN DO IT!!

You can definitely do it - keep it up, don't give up!!! Each week will get easier - you will see!
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the better you get at running.

Sounds obvious, but there it is.

lol, thank you although that doesn't exactly answer my question...

"Does it get easier?"
    "The more you run, the better you get at running."
    "Doesn't answer my question..."

If you get better, then it gets easier. If it's easier, you've gotten better. The correlation is there, thus your question has been answered.

How many people do you need to give you the same answer before you believe it for yourself anyways? Now get out there and run, dammit.
  • richardwmt
    Options
    I was inspired to begin running after I picked up Chris McDougall's "Born to Run." Now when I run, I remember to enjoy the run and smile. I used to hate running and never thought I would be any kind of distance runner. However, after 9 months of solid training, I ran my first marathon. I'm now training for my second marathon.
  • swimlife4
    Options
    Yes running does get easier. Try intervals, where you begin running a certain distance and then walking a portion of it after and keep increasing until you can run full distance. It really helps