Your results from the TDEE/BMR method?

Options

Replies

• marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread, but what calculator site are you guys using. I've tried several sites and results are all over the map. Please share the link to calculate your TDEE. Thanks from Chicago.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread, but what calculator site are you guys using. I've tried several sites and results are all over the map. Please share the link to calculate your TDEE. Thanks from Chicago.

i think i used the free dieting one.. but i have read they are pretty close...
  • TennesseeGirl09
    Options
    Once you've calculated your numbers (for me it will be TDEE -20%) and put them into the custom goals for MFP, do you change the fitness goals in MFP as well? Right now mine is set to 0 workouts per week, since my activity level is already factored in to my calorie goal. Is this correct? All these numbers have me confused. I thought I had it figured out but now I'm not so sure!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Once you've calculated your numbers (for me it will be TDEE -20%) and put them into the custom goals for MFP, do you change the fitness goals in MFP as well? Right now mine is set to 0 workouts per week, since my activity level is already factored in to my calorie goal. Is this correct? All these numbers have me confused. I thought I had it figured out but now I'm not so sure!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It doesn't matter what you put in for fitness goals. MFP doesn't actually calculate any calories burned until you do it. I log my exercise for motivation only and put in 1 calorie burned so it doesn't significantly change my net calorie goal.
  • TennesseeGirl09
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you put in for fitness goals. MFP doesn't actually calculate any calories burned until you do it. I log my exercise for motivation only and put in 1 calorie burned so it doesn't significantly change my net calorie goal.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to mess it up lol :smile:
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • JenNicole11
    JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mrcr23
    mrcr23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RedDirtGirl16
    RedDirtGirl16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    This is the best way to lose weight in my opinion! I started eating between my TDEE and BMR and started to make really good progress and end the 2 month plateau i had. To end the plateau i started doing more weight training rather than cardio at the gym. Lowering my body fat %. The more muscle you have on your body means more fat is burned on a daily basis. I also upped my calories and protein a little and since then i have lost another 7 lbs. A good thing to do is change your exercise plan every now and then, that can help put a stop to plateaus. The main thing is patience really. I felt like giving up when i wasn't losing any more weight, but stuck with it and am happy that i did. Good luck :)
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Edit: sorry, I didn't realise the original post was so old!
  • nicolemaguire1
    nicolemaguire1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Over the past 10 months I've lost close to 30lb :) I log on MFP everyday. My caloric intake is 1,200 (which is sometimes hard for me to hit). I went low carb and have seen great results ( and feel better too). I have plateaued for about 3 months. I average 15 cups of water per day and fit bit tells me I walk over 10k steps per day. Over the past few weeks- I've been at the gym lifting weights 2-3 times per week(which I love). I haven't lost or seen any more change in my body in months. I now eat protein every meal - whether a shake or actual meat. After reading about all the success on the TDEE method I have recalculated my calories and I'm going to give this a shot. My new caloric intake should be 1,700. Hopefully this will budge the remaining bulge :)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    }
  • psylvester1
    Options
    bump
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I honestly use TDEE at sedentary and then add in my exercises. This is more accurate than calculating TDEE at different activity levels.

For me...
    TDEE: 1810
    BMR: 1550
    Calories: 1345 (Before adding back exercise calories)

That had me losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. Some of that weight being water weight. I ate back HALF my exercise calories. I have stalled though for a while, but think I identified the problem (weeks of lack of sleep) and am trying to repair that to get things going.

I have been doing something similar to this. My TDEE - 20% (sedentary) is 1470. Since about Jan 6th, I am down around 6 lbs which is pretty sweet. I have less to lose these days, so a loss of 0.5 lb - 1 lb a week is pretty pleasing to me. :smile: I'm focusing more on improving my fitness and measurements right now as opposed to the number on the scale anyway.

(I set my TDEE to sedentary because I work a desk job and never quite know how often I will get to work out. When I DO work out or burn more calories by being active, I eat back those earned calories which are calculated by my fitbit.)

EDIT: Typo.
  • Boosier3
    Boosier3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later...
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Found this forum. I know that it started a while ago, but there are some newer posts.

I have been doing 1400 calories and eating back my burned calories. I always burn about the same amount 200-300 unless I know I am going out to eat or drinking alcohol. So I've been eating back my burned calories. I never try to NET below 1200. I have been going back and forth about this TDEE thing since I lost 9 lbs pretty easily, but now am just kind of chilling at the weight I am at.

I work a desk job, along with 2 hours in the car a day. But I work out 5-6 days a week. So I think I am in between light and moderately active. Light TDEE = 1993 Moderate TDEE = 2247 ... I am going to aim in between and say 2120.

So 15% is 1802 calories and 20% is 1696. I'm going to start with 20% since it is closer to what I am eating right now and I dont want to shock my body and gain any weight by upping my NET calories that much.

I'm 5'5" 141lbs -- body fat roughly 25%
    GW: 130 -- body fat roughly 19%

Can someone just let me know if this sounds about right? I am scared about upping my calories. I didn't have much to lose to begin with and I fear that I will erase some of my hard work, but I know I could be eating more and still losing inches/lbs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You should go for the 15%. 100 calories difference isn't going to be a huge shock to your body. Make sure you get adequate protein. Lift heavy weights.